This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

whats so special about Deadly Premonition?

#11TheBeastWithinPosted 2/4/2013 7:15:26 PM
If you are the type of person who opens a guide before even starting a game and doe nothing but follow directions while plowing through, you will hate DP. If you like just playing through a game, and letting the experience flow organically, you will probably love it.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#12JKSonicPosted 2/4/2013 7:26:40 PM
I highly suggest watching some of Twin Peaks if you haven't seen it. DP is basically "Twin Peaks: The Game". If you enjoy the show and "get" it's humor you should love DP and be able to put up with what's not so great about it.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#13DeathofseasonsxPosted 2/4/2013 10:45:40 PM
As always, I'll just save time and post this link:

http://www.gamesradar.com/love-gta-heavy-rain-and-resident-evil-well-deadly-premonition-is-better-than-all-of-them-heres-why/

It's a really nice read - but I think the Author gushes a bit too much to be objective. Also, I dislike his "the crappier the controls are the better the game is!" position.

Everything up to that point was quite good, though.

That wasn't his position, his position was that the controls in the early Resident Evil games were good for the type of game they were making and enhanced the experience of horror. I agree with him.
---
"Please leave the room if this will offend you"- Budd Dwyer,
#14electrolyzerPosted 2/4/2013 11:12:39 PM
It's hard to say. It's just charming in every sense.

You either play it and understand soon after, or don't.
---
Gamertag : xXThoraxeXx
#15RPG_ApostlePosted 2/5/2013 3:39:56 AM
HighOnPhazon posted...
It's a crappy, budget game with a weird story, so Gamefaqs blows it out of proportion.

I'll blow you out of proportion.

...what?
---
Then mark him if he violates the rules and shut up. Baseman, GameFAQs Moderator
#16JKSonicPosted 2/6/2013 11:01:46 AM
the early Resident Evil games were good for the type of game they were making and enhanced the experience of horror. I agree with him.

Yes, for 1996. You have to remember, the first RE came out BEFORE the original dual shock was released. Even after the DS came out the controls for RE was built so specifically for the d-pad that I still used it. In fact I still used the d-pad all the way up through RE4 for my movement.

Today, and even with DP came out, there's no excuse for flat out crappy controls. Even the shooting is really loose and bad and I won't even get into the driving controls. I enjoy the game but better controls would have made this game infinitely better and IMO anybody disputing that is delusional. The bad graphics I can look past (well most of the time, sometimes the graphics are so bad they actually hurt my eyes...it's like they're so blurry my eyes keep trying to adjust and refocus) but the controls always annoy me.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#17pothocketPosted 2/6/2013 12:58:16 PM
The shooting wasn't bad. Auto-aim squared in directly on the crotch/ass. And considering how the ghost zombies won't even turn around but would rather bend over walking backwards, it turns those ass shots into head shots!
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson