This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your HONEST opinion, Are reveiws paid off?

#1bigdeezPosted 2/5/2013 4:24:09 AM
You may not like a game, you may not like the reviewer, and you may not like the game company. But answer HONESTLY are they paid off?

I say no. Whats the point? Resident Evil 6 reviews were great to terrible and the game did decent. IT'S ALL OPINIONS!!!!
---
I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings. - Max Payne
--- Rockstar fanboy #1
#2RubMyDuckyPosted 2/5/2013 4:30:55 AM
If the Godfather has tought me anything it's that any company can be bought/paid off given the right amount of money.
---
Optimizations seems to be a arcane art of video games. Few devs are masters of it. Some occasionally stumble upon it. But to most, it's all ancient Greek.
#3BlazingxPaddlesPosted 2/5/2013 4:33:55 AM
Do I think? No. I know for a fact that it has influenced reviews in the past. Gamespot and Army of Two is one such situation.
#4OverburdenedPosted 2/5/2013 4:35:31 AM
No. Assassins creed got slated for repetitiveness, dull colour etc,(I can see where they're coming from) it's one of my favourite games ever.
---
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
The Chronic what cles of Narnia._
#5Shadowstalker2121Posted 2/5/2013 4:40:59 AM
It doesn't matter to me, either way. If I want an idea of what to expect from a game, I'll go look at some gameplay vids and gauge the honest opinions of fellow gamers before I ever base my purchase on what a "professional" reviewer has to say.

That's not to say all gamers are fair and impartial. If I see 10's across the board, I look for a more realistic review that tells me the positives and negatives.
---
A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist.
#6OverburdenedPosted 2/5/2013 4:45:24 AM
Shadowstalker2121 posted...
It doesn't matter to me, either way. If I want an idea of what to expect from a game, I'll go look at some gameplay vids and gauge the honest opinions of fellow gamers before I ever base my purchase on what a "professional" reviewer has to say.

That's not to say all gamers are fair and impartial. If I see 10's across the board, I look for a more realistic review that tells me the positives and negatives.

Couldn't have put it better my self, YouTube is my "reviewer" or I'll just pick a game up if I like the look of it, I know which games i like to play.

I wouldn't pick a Fifa game because I don't like them etc.
---
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
The Chronic what cles of Narnia._
#7LapanuiPosted 2/5/2013 4:47:49 AM
I wouldn't say all reviewers are paid off. Certain sites you just don't trust.

Certain games, like CoD for example get's high reviews with each release. Now I play CoD a lot, I see it's faults and I admit it's just the same thing every year. So how come reviewers don't ever mention this? Modern Warfare 3 wasn't as good as MW1 and MW2, I just didn't enjoy it as much compared to those two games or even BO1, yet it still gets amazing reviews.

You read the reviews from normal people who aren't being paid and they will give honest reviews and the game wasn't as good as it's predecessors. You check all of these "professional" reviewers and the game is getting 9's and 9.5's. Never do they mention how it isn't as good as MW2 or that they haven't changed anything in the series.

I also don't trust Metacritic at times because you just have to look at some of the reviews people give, hell they're not even reviews, they just bash the game constantly. Look at DmC. I thought the game was great, I played it like any other game and didn't worry about how Dante was completely different and it was a solid game. The only problem was the drop in the frame rate which was quite noticeable. The graphics were pretty nice, not the best I've seen, but it was also a very colorful game. I would give it like 8.5. You check Metacritic and people are just bashing it without actually playing the game at all, which is wrong.

I don't judge a game based on reviews, I like to see other peoples opinions on the game, but if a game looks interesting to me, I check some youtube videos on the gameplay and if it looks great and it's interesting, I would consider picking it up.
---
Intel i7 930 @ 3.2GHz, Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, EVGA x58 FTW Motherboard, Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 570, Corsair HX 650W Modular PSU.
GT: Zichu
#8headwounds13Posted 2/5/2013 4:48:17 AM
Aside from a couple of extremely rare outliers that have more to do with advertising revenue than bribes, people whining about paid off reviewers are only suffering from a case of unwarranted self importance. Obviously it would take conspiracy and bribery for someone to disagree with their immaculate taste.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/p/headcase.html
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/headwoundss/129167586636177506-1.gif
#9Luthor_Posted 2/5/2013 5:07:54 AM
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/64492216
---
*jumps out of bush and throws spear*
-GorillaOnRoof
#10Carte360Posted 2/5/2013 5:25:15 AM
Yes, of course. Anyone who says otherwise is a complete moron.
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk