This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your HONEST opinion, Are reveiws paid off?

#71chrcolPosted 2/5/2013 5:46:21 PM
See it as this way.

Reviewers get free hardware/software and they get traffic to their site.

Too many bad reviews against any particular company or maybe just one single really bad review then that company stops sendign them goods.

In my view the reviews that mean anything are form those who have gone out and purchased a retail product at normal price,m any website that has things like pre retail , or free samples doesnt have credibility.
#72WinternovaPosted 2/5/2013 5:52:32 PM
chrcol posted...

Too many bad reviews against any particular company or maybe just one single really bad review then that company stops sendign them goods.

Back when I had a TV show and radio show, I would get promotional copies from companies all the time - I doubt they watched the shows for my opinions on the game, I doubt they went to our website for my reviews, and I doubt they really checked as to what I did with the multiple copies they sent (usually they were given away to callers on the shows, or as door prizes at our live events). Most of the time I requested them from specific contacts I had with each company, but with Microsoft they put me on a mailing list - they'd send me one copy of every game they published for review and sometimes multiple copies for giveaways along with other swag (T-shirts, hats, Mechwarrior figures).

Not once did they refuse a request due to anything I had said about any of their games - not Microsoft, not THQ, not EA...no one.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#73oasisbeyondPosted 2/5/2013 5:54:11 PM
Yes some reviews are paid off. My cousin works in the industry and made a game that got low scores everywhere but one site... And he told me they paid them to give a positive review of over 8.
#74DuwstaiPosted 2/5/2013 6:30:50 PM(edited)
chrcol posted...

Back when I had a TV show and radio show, I would get promotional copies from companies all the time - I doubt they watched the shows for my opinions on the game, I doubt they went to our website for my reviews, and I doubt they really checked as to what I did with the multiple copies they sent (usually they were given away to callers on the shows, or as door prizes at our live events). Most of the time I requested them from specific contacts I had with each company, but with Microsoft they put me on a mailing list - they'd send me one copy of every game they published for review and sometimes multiple copies for giveaways along with other swag (T-shirts, hats, Mechwarrior figures).

Not once did they refuse a request due to anything I had said about any of their games - not Microsoft, not THQ, not EA...no one.

Yeah, because your crappy little radio show with 4 listeners somehow equates to the biggest video game journalism sites, that gets millions of unique IPs accessing the site to make decisions daily.

Not that Im taking any side of the issue here, but this is just about the dumbest logic Ive ever seen.

*gasp* maybe there is a small difference in the care level of publishers depending on how many people that review may reach.

Nah, thats just crazy talk.
---
balls
#75TrugamerPosted 2/5/2013 6:44:39 PM
Yes there is no doubt about it .
#76Carte360Posted 2/5/2013 6:54:32 PM
*grabs popcorn*
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk
#77kungfucolinPosted 2/5/2013 6:55:09 PM
There are a few well-known cases, but the conspiracy theorists are looking in the wrong place. The more shady part of game journalism happens on the promo end, not the review.

QFT
---
Latest Video: DmC gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhOpvyxuhiM
#78metroidman92Posted 2/5/2013 7:07:09 PM
Overburdened posted...
No. Assassins creed got slated for repetitiveness, dull colour etc,(I can see where they're coming from) it's one of my favourite games ever.

And yet the Modern Warfare series had repetitiveness, and dull color, and got nothing but praise form mainstream reviewers. I'd say that they're paid off to an extent, because it makes the devs more money in the long run.

I'd say watch Zero Punctuation if you want more accurate impressions of games. Even if Yahtzee is a bit harsh on some of his critiques, he exposes crap like CoD for what it is.
---
MAAAAAAARRRRRRRKKKKKKKK
NUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
#79EternalDividePosted 2/6/2013 9:13:44 AM
Yes!

Because when games like Final Fantasy XIII get 9's and 10's

Either we all live in a bizarre alternate universe or someone is owed favors for the advertising dollars spent on their website/publication.
#80WinternovaPosted 2/6/2013 9:18:11 AM
Duwstai posted...
chrcol posted...

Yeah, because your crappy little radio show with 4 listeners somehow equates to the biggest video game journalism sites, that gets millions of unique IPs accessing the site to make decisions daily.

Not that Im taking any side of the issue here, but this is just about the dumbest logic Ive ever seen.

*gasp* maybe there is a small difference in the care level of publishers depending on how many people that review may reach.

Nah, thats just crazy talk.

You're right - there is a difference in the level of care...but, still, if they gave a northeast Ohio show multiple free copies of their games (usually a box of 5 for each system), why would they care about 1 copy given to a magazine or game website?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)