This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does GameStop really open new games and sell them as new?

#1schmittycent2Posted 2/5/2013 5:32:25 AM
I have heard this many times but never have I experienced it, I have bought many new games from them and not one was ever unsealed.
---
Xbox GT schmittycent
#2Not_ShippyPosted 2/5/2013 5:34:55 AM
I used to work at Gamestop.

They may open a copy, and put it on the floor if it's the only one left, as the display copy. And keep the guts/contents in the cabinet.

Technically, it's still new, but eh... I had some kid get really upset when I sold him the gutted copy of some weeaboo game, that literally came with a waifu pillow case.
---
"Chainsaw go bzzzz" ConeZone
Xbox Live GT:Gene StarWind90
#3GGearXPosted 2/5/2013 5:35:17 AM
Don't know about that. But I bought deus ex "new" even though it was open and I couldn't return it.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#4MephistotePosted 2/5/2013 5:37:21 AM
GGearX posted...
Don't know about that. But I bought deus ex "new" even though it was open and I couldn't return it.

The only reason you wouldn't be able to return it as 'New', is if you took the circular piece of tape off the side, and didn't have your receipt, which states 'New copy'.
---
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain.
#5DeathofseasonsxPosted 2/5/2013 5:43:18 AM

They may open a copy, and put it on the floor if it's the only one left, as the display copy. And keep the guts/contents in the cabinet.

Technically, it's still new, but eh... I had some kid get really upset when I sold him the gutted copy of some weeaboo game, that literally came with a waifu pillow case.

lol, I wouldn't want to buy your Used copy of Catherine at full price either.
---
"Please leave the room if this will offend you"- Budd Dwyer,
#6GGearXPosted 2/5/2013 5:44:12 AM
Mephistote posted...
GGearX posted...

The only reason you wouldn't be able to return it as 'New', is if you took the circular piece of tape off the side, and didn't have your receipt, which states 'New copy'.

It was completely open. No manual, no nothing. Just the disk, which looked used. And I had the receipt
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#7oasisbeyondPosted 2/5/2013 5:45:53 AM
Don't think it's "New" if someone opened it... Also the case is all crappy cuz all of the people touching it... = Not new

If I buy a product on ebay and it's open... no matter what... It's not called new, it will be called mint or good condition.
#8JenniferTatePosted 2/5/2013 5:48:01 AM
Mephistote posted...
GGearX posted...

That's why I have a roll of those stickers.
---
You goddamn kids had best be gracious with the merch money you spend, 'cause for you I wont ever have rough sex with Molly Connolly again.
#9Banana_ManaPosted 2/5/2013 5:48:11 AM
Not_Shippy posted...

Weeaboo is rude.

Be nice!
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#10headwounds13Posted 2/5/2013 5:49:22 AM(edited)
Sure, they gut a copy for display, and still sell that game as new. Honestly, this stuff isn't that outrageous unless you've got some extreme social anxiety.

"Hey, do you still have a sealed copy?"
"This is as good as new sir."
"Oh, no thanks, I'll get it elsewhere."
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/p/headcase.html
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/headwoundss/129167586636177506-1.gif