This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does GameStop really open new games and sell them as new?

#21Last VampirePosted 2/5/2013 9:29:12 AM
Perfect Light posted...
I don't care what GameStop wants to call it, if they open a game it's no longer new. If they try to sell me an open game as new, I tell them they have 3 options: 1. Find me a sealed copy, 2. I'm paying used price for the open copy with the option to return like a used game or 3. I take my business elsewhere. Most of the time it's oh yeah we have some sealed copies in the back hang on let me go get one!

They probably think I'm being too picky but I have no idea where that game has been. Who knows if the employees didn't take it home or something? If I'm paying new, I want a sealed copy. It's that simple.

No you don't, because, as someone who has worked electronics retail, I can tell you that nobody gives that much of a s***. If a customer gave me that kind of attitude (which is that of a pissy juvenile, btw) I would tell them where the nearest store was that sold games. And my manager would back me up.

Believe it or not, we are not required to take s*** from entitled piss bags.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV
#22InfiniteHEROPosted 2/5/2013 9:35:09 AM
They taking off the plastic putting stickers on the case, and then the manual being all nasty from people touching it as well as the case,,, not new anymore !!!
#23SteelguardPosted 2/5/2013 9:48:11 AM
Next time that happens to you, ask them if you can bring all your opened games with receipt and return it for the original new price. Same ****
#24The Top CrusaderPosted 2/5/2013 9:49:31 AM
I worked there for a while, and yeah, like other others said. They will take one new copy to display and gut it, but keep the disc and manual in good condition. So its basically new, just not in shrink wrap. Although sometimes we would just re-assemble them and shrink-wrap them to make people happy. >_>

But yeah, since its just one copy, you'd think they could give you a couple bucks off and sell it as used, but ah well.

Personally I don't think its that big of a deal as long as the game is still in new condition, unless you were giving it as a gift or something. Most people don't really mind if something like a game or DVD is used but I feel kinda dumb gifting something that isn't literally new.
---
----
-----
#25InfiniteHEROPosted 2/5/2013 9:51:34 AM
The Top Crusader posted...
I worked there for a while, and yeah, like other others said. They will take one new copy to display and gut it, but keep the disc and manual in good condition. So its basically new, just not in shrink wrap. Although sometimes we would just re-assemble them and shrink-wrap them to make people happy. >_>

But yeah, since its just one copy, you'd think they could give you a couple bucks off and sell it as used, but ah well.

Personally I don't think its that big of a deal as long as the game is still in new condition, unless you were giving it as a gift or something. Most people don't really mind if something like a game or DVD is used but I feel kinda dumb gifting something that isn't literally new.

So what your saying is then it's not ok for you but everyone else is supposed to not be so picky?
#26DonomegaPosted 2/5/2013 9:53:56 AM
If they open a game technically its still new. Now if they actually play it, then its used.

I've never purchased a new game at GameStop and they handed me an open box, maybe its where I live or whatever
---
Intell 8088 @ 7.14Mhz | 640K RAM | TCGA 16 Color graphics | TWO 5.25" 640K Floppy drives | 10MB Hard disk
3DS FC: 0903-4184-6816
#27shawnmckPosted 2/5/2013 9:54:38 AM
LoL at all the butt-hurt gamfaqs users who are too immature to simply tell the worker "No-Thanks" if they happen to have a last copy of a game and no more sealed copies....but instead choose to come here to whine about it.

If you don't like the practice, then DON'T shop there.
Problem solved.

But there are countless others who don't give a rat's arse about it, and will buy the game.
So you are just pissing in the wind.
#28PMCkubrickPosted 2/5/2013 10:01:11 AM
LoL at butthurt employee who doesn't know the definition of new and enjoys poor business practices
#29shawnmckPosted 2/5/2013 10:18:50 AM(edited)
^ Don't know if you are referring to me or not, but I've never worked at gamestop, so i've never been an employee.
I just like to shop there...and apparently so do a heck of a lot of other people, as the store is always busy.

Maybe you should just stick with Amazon, where you don't have to deal with a real-life person, which just makes you feel inadequate or whatever.

And LoL at you thinking its poor business model...
Do you even have a brain ?
Gamestop opens & guts a new copy because they want to have a box for the consumer to view without having to bother the employee, and it saves room on having locked cabinets like Wal-Mart... But they can't just keep the game inside a display copy because then it encourages theft.
So they open ONE copy to use as a display model.
And if they run out, then they sell that guted copy.
Its NOT "poor" business practice, but actually makes sense in the context of how gamefaqs has their store.

* It allows the consumer to view the back cover
* It allows them to NOT have to have locked cabinets (a-la Wal-Mart), which frees up space
* It saves time by freeing up the employees time so that they can do other stuff, such as ring up sales
* It frees up customers from having to ask the employee to see the game box
* It prevents theft
* They only do it to ONE copy

Plus, you are free to NOT buy the game.
Nobody is being forced, so WTF is the problem ?
#30kylemcauliffe15Posted 2/5/2013 10:09:43 AM
Donomega posted...
If they open a game technically its still new. Now if they actually play it, then its used.

I've never purchased a new game at GameStop and they handed me an open box, maybe its where I live or whatever

But what if they play it and afterwards the disc looks exactly the same? If there's no wear, how do you ever prove it wasn't used? I've been to Gamestops and seen the "new" counterpart of used titles look like the used ones and the used ones look like new.

Probably my worst experience was buying a copy of Killer7 for the Gamecube. Buying "new" was a dollar more and even though it was opened it was very cheap and not MSRP, plus I'd be having the benefit of playing something unused. Well, I didn't ask the clerk to look at the discs because I assumed they were fine. Get home 10 minutes later and pop the thing open, and the discs are COVERED in sticky clear stuff. It won't come-off.

Took it back, got a refund, and bought the used one. IN PERFECT CONDITION.
---
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali