This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does GameStop really open new games and sell them as new?

#31flame030191Posted 2/5/2013 9:11:45 AM
PMCkubrick posted...
LoL at butthurt employee who doesn't know the definition of new and enjoys poor business practices

If you go to buy a futon and the only one they have left is the display on the shelf, so they put it in the original box and sell it new (since it's never been used), is that a wrong thing to do? Just because plastic isn't around it doesn't make it used, just as plastic also doesn't make it new. It's new if it's never been played or owned, and it is strictly against store rules for employees to take home products as they are there to sell them, not play them. There's been many employees that have lost their job due to this in the past few years because it is treated as theft.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#32zyxomma100Posted 2/5/2013 11:19:33 AM
If you go to buy a futon and the only one they have left is the display on the shelf, so they put it in the original box and sell it new (since it's never been used), is that a wrong thing to do?

Yes, it is wrong.

Part of being "New" to me is the guarantee that it's in as perfect condition as possible. Sure, things happen in shipping, but in good faith, you don't purposely break the seal of something you're selling to someone as New.

Who's to say that in your futon example, some disgruntled employee didn't partially strip a screw? Or assemble it poorly and cause unneeded wear and tear on the futon? Or that customers didn't touch the display model? Or improperly box everything back up?

Same with the opened New game. How do you know that the disc wasn't used after all? That the inserts, etc. aren't bent up or missing? Or that the unnecessary disc transfer was done with proper care to avoid scratches? You can't really beat the guarantee of a factory seal.

Again, I'm aware that buying "New" shouldn't be synonymous with "pristine condition," but the sellers of New products shouldn't unduly compromise the condition of their product.

The thing is, Gamestop could easily avoid this situation:
-They could use a generic placeholder case with a printed copy of the artwork. They do this already when they want a display for an unreleased game.
-They could more accurately simply sell that last copy as Used. Since they only have to do this to a single game copy, and by the time the last shelf unit is gone, the price of the game is $20, this costs them at most $2 per game release, assuming that the slightly lower prices don't bring in more customers.
#33JascoDPosted 2/5/2013 11:26:28 AM
headwounds13 posted...
Sure, they gut a copy for display, and still sell that game as new. Honestly, this stuff isn't that outrageous unless you've got some extreme social anxiety.

"Hey, do you still have a sealed copy?"
"This is as good as new sir."
"Oh, no thanks, I'll get it elsewhere."

^
This is exactly how i buy my NEW games. all sealed and tight. When I pop open the wrap I hear the air breaking in after the sealed atmosphere is ruined.

WHAT A FEELIN!

And it's not some extreme social anxiety thing. I just don't trust any store that has already open up the package. I have had friends buying a "new" cellphone only to find out that the phone is used and already has a lot of pictures and tracks in it.
---
Itchy Tasty!
#34headwounds13Posted 2/5/2013 11:46:06 AM
And it's not some extreme social anxiety thing. I just don't trust any store that has already open up the package. I have had friends buying a "new" cellphone only to find out that the phone is used and already has a lot of pictures and tracks in it.

The social anxiety thing is referring to people who are unable to ask the clerk for a sealed copy.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/p/headcase.html
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/headwoundss/129167586636177506-1.gif
#35ScymitePosted 2/5/2013 12:07:34 PM
If you go to buy a futon and the only one they have left is the display on the shelf, so they put it in the original box and sell it new (since it's never been used), is that a wrong thing to do?

Yes it's wrong. I don't think they can legally sell it as new, they have to sell it as a display model with a discount. This should be the same for open "new" games.
---
"I always found it both amusing and oddly appropriate that the rhetoric of the Information Age ended up being so... binary." -- Time_pants
#36SparkItUpPosted 2/5/2013 12:11:03 PM
Scymite posted...

Yes it's wrong. I don't think they can legally sell it as new, they have to sell it as a display model with a discount. This should be the same for open "new" games.

they don't legally have to do it...but most places will give a discount on open box items..
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#37Reel_Big_MikePosted 2/5/2013 12:31:23 PM(edited)
I don't agree with the business practice, but GS is not lying when they sell the game as new. Used obviously implies the game was used...and it wasn't. It was opened, not used. Not to mention that no one is forcing anyone to buy that copy.
#38A-G-IPosted 2/5/2013 12:33:07 PM
Yeah, I work in the UK equivalent - GAME. It works in the way that if we only have one or two copies left, and we need the boxes out on display, we'll "gut" the cases, put the manual and the disc in storage, and put the boxes out on the shop floor. It only happens when the game is on display A LOT, or we only have a couple left in stock.
---
@AperioGaming - I follow back!
AGI - Aperio Gaming Intel - News, Reviews, Advice and More
#39VeryDarkSoulPosted 2/5/2013 12:38:51 PM
yes they do
---
Ron Paul 2012
#40CapwnDPosted 2/5/2013 12:40:43 PM(edited)
I don't agree with the business practice, but GS is not lying when they sell the game as new. Used obviously implies the game was used...and it wasn't. It was opened, not used. Not to mention that no one is forcing anyone to buy that copy.

--I buy a "new" game from gamestop. It's opened, but It has their "new" seal on it.

Great! So I can return it if I have to! But wait, it's been over a month because this was a Christmas gift for somebody else and he already has the game. And now more than 30 days have passed.

No problem! I can sell a game as new on Ebay.

Oh wait... it's not NEW new, it's Gamestop New. Not the same thing. Not really new at all.

Plus, employees may have used the game. I've bought some that were undoubtedly played, scuffed from going in and out of the envelope.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh