This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So two of my favorite games this generation, were both games I hated at first...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. So two of my favorite games this generation, were both games I hated at first...
3 years ago#1
Bioshock just didn't do it for me the first time I played it. I put about an hour into it, and I just wasn't feeling it. I found the gunplay was a little wonky at times and was annoyed I had to rely so much on my abilities.

Now it's up in my top 10 favorite games of all time.

Similar thing just happened to me with Batman AA. About a year ago, I played for an hour or two and got bored quickly. I found the fighting shallow. All I had to do was push X and hold the analog stick towards an enemy? LAME!

Then I replayed it last week, got some abilities and discovered just how awesome the atmosphere and characters are in that game! Definitely in the top 5 best games of this generation for sure!

Anybody else have games they hated then LOVED the second time through?
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
3 years ago#2
Batman AA for me as well.

Also Tales of Vesperia... Although i still haven't managed to finish it (not really that far into it tbh).

And many others - this happens to me a lot!
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
3 years ago#3
Mirror's Edge was ok the first time.

It wasn't until going back and exploring the gameplay and trying to get fast times that it started to really click.
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
3 years ago#4
Kingdom Of Amalur. Although not exactly loved it, but I decided to finally play it properly and enjoyed my time on it.

Dark Souls. I got very frustrated & rage quit a year ago. I decided to finish what I'd started. I ended up getting 1000/1000 as well as KOA & now consider Dark Souls one of my top 10 games of all time.
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
3 years ago#5
Didn't hate it, but I just realllly couldn't get into Red Dead Redemption the first time I played it. Picked up GOTY edition on Black Friday for $10...definitely in my top 10 last gen.
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
3 years ago#6
Mass Effect. Played the original and ME2 on Xbox when they released and couldn't see why they got so much praise. When ME2 went to PS3, i played the 1 hr trial. Next thing i know i buy the game and DLC on PS3 and Im preordering ME3 on PSN
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
3 years ago#7
flame030191 posted...
Mass Effect. Played the original and ME2 on Xbox when they released and couldn't see why they got so much praise. When ME2 went to PS3, i played the 1 hr trial. Next thing i know i buy the game and DLC on PS3 and Im preordering ME3 on PSN

Actually...now that you mention it. I too did not enjoy ME. I love ME2 though, so I've been meaning to go back and try ME again. Hopefully I'll experience something similar!
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
3 years ago#8
this happened with me with dragon age origins. the first time i played it im not sure i really "understood" the style of gameplay. then i went back to it with a different mindset and it is easily in my top three games of all time. same with the first mass effect, the first time i played it i didnt really understand the concept of the tactical style of the combat, i was more into run and gun games, not duck and cover. then i played gears of war and learned how to play that style and went back to mass effect and loved it.
"Urination when excited can be a long term problem" -- vigorm0rtis
3 years ago#9
That definitely happened to me with Alpha Protocol. Despised it at first because I was trying to make it be something it wasn't. When I played within the (admittedly flawed) system they created, I loved the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
3 years ago#10
kst8er posted...
this happened with me with dragon age origins. the first time i played it im not sure i really "understood" the style of gameplay. then i went back to it with a different mindset and it is easily in my top three games of all time. same with the first mass effect, the first time i played it i didnt really understand the concept of the tactical style of the combat, i was more into run and gun games, not duck and cover. then i played gears of war and learned how to play that style and went back to mass effect and loved it.

Ah. Yet another game I hate, yet it gets such high regards that I figure I MUST be missing something. Tell me - what is this "style of gameplay" you speak of? What am I missing or overlooking? 'Cause to me it felt like a clunky hack and slash that was testing the waters in regards to story and dialogue trees so they could prepare themselves for Mass Effect...
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. So two of my favorite games this generation, were both games I hated at first...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived