This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So two of my favorite games this generation, were both games I hated at first...

#1rdking96Posted 2/5/2013 6:50:09 AM
Bioshock just didn't do it for me the first time I played it. I put about an hour into it, and I just wasn't feeling it. I found the gunplay was a little wonky at times and was annoyed I had to rely so much on my abilities.

Now it's up in my top 10 favorite games of all time.

Similar thing just happened to me with Batman AA. About a year ago, I played for an hour or two and got bored quickly. I found the fighting shallow. All I had to do was push X and hold the analog stick towards an enemy? LAME!

Then I replayed it last week, got some abilities and discovered just how awesome the atmosphere and characters are in that game! Definitely in the top 5 best games of this generation for sure!

Anybody else have games they hated then LOVED the second time through?
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#2Banana_ManaPosted 2/5/2013 6:51:11 AM
Batman AA for me as well.

Also Tales of Vesperia... Although i still haven't managed to finish it (not really that far into it tbh).

And many others - this happens to me a lot!
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#3pothocketPosted 2/5/2013 6:52:53 AM
Mirror's Edge was ok the first time.

It wasn't until going back and exploring the gameplay and trying to get fast times that it started to really click.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4memphis12Posted 2/5/2013 6:56:17 AM
Kingdom Of Amalur. Although not exactly loved it, but I decided to finally play it properly and enjoyed my time on it.

Dark Souls. I got very frustrated & rage quit a year ago. I decided to finish what I'd started. I ended up getting 1000/1000 as well as KOA & now consider Dark Souls one of my top 10 games of all time.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#5SunDevil77Posted 2/5/2013 6:57:06 AM(edited)
Didn't hate it, but I just realllly couldn't get into Red Dead Redemption the first time I played it. Picked up GOTY edition on Black Friday for $10...definitely in my top 10 last gen.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#6flame030191Posted 2/5/2013 7:14:06 AM
Mass Effect. Played the original and ME2 on Xbox when they released and couldn't see why they got so much praise. When ME2 went to PS3, i played the 1 hr trial. Next thing i know i buy the game and DLC on PS3 and Im preordering ME3 on PSN
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#7rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 7:15:39 AM
flame030191 posted...
Mass Effect. Played the original and ME2 on Xbox when they released and couldn't see why they got so much praise. When ME2 went to PS3, i played the 1 hr trial. Next thing i know i buy the game and DLC on PS3 and Im preordering ME3 on PSN

Actually...now that you mention it. I too did not enjoy ME. I love ME2 though, so I've been meaning to go back and try ME again. Hopefully I'll experience something similar!
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#8kst8erPosted 2/7/2013 8:18:22 AM
this happened with me with dragon age origins. the first time i played it im not sure i really "understood" the style of gameplay. then i went back to it with a different mindset and it is easily in my top three games of all time. same with the first mass effect, the first time i played it i didnt really understand the concept of the tactical style of the combat, i was more into run and gun games, not duck and cover. then i played gears of war and learned how to play that style and went back to mass effect and loved it.
---
"Urination when excited can be a long term problem" -- vigorm0rtis
#9WinternovaPosted 2/7/2013 8:20:24 AM
That definitely happened to me with Alpha Protocol. Despised it at first because I was trying to make it be something it wasn't. When I played within the (admittedly flawed) system they created, I loved the game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#10rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 6:53:53 PM
kst8er posted...
this happened with me with dragon age origins. the first time i played it im not sure i really "understood" the style of gameplay. then i went back to it with a different mindset and it is easily in my top three games of all time. same with the first mass effect, the first time i played it i didnt really understand the concept of the tactical style of the combat, i was more into run and gun games, not duck and cover. then i played gears of war and learned how to play that style and went back to mass effect and loved it.

Ah. Yet another game I hate, yet it gets such high regards that I figure I MUST be missing something. Tell me - what is this "style of gameplay" you speak of? What am I missing or overlooking? 'Cause to me it felt like a clunky hack and slash that was testing the waters in regards to story and dialogue trees so they could prepare themselves for Mass Effect...
---