This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So two of my favorite games this generation, were both games I hated at first...

#11MatrixAndrAIaPosted 2/7/2013 7:37:37 PM
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - I played through the first two chapters and I was bored out of my mind in November 2010. I stopped playing it because I got heavily into Dragon Age: Origins for two and a half months. I started playing CV:LoS again in late February 2011 and I was so immersed in it that I couldn't quit. I played until I had 1000/1000 in the game, and then did all of the achievements in the first DLC. I hated the second DLC and said **** it. But the main game is just damn amazing. The first two chapters are boring as hell though.
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
#12redbuckPosted 2/11/2013 9:44:46 AM
Technically not this gen, but I did like Killzone a lot more in HD. I normally don't care about graphics, but I thought it was hard to even see enemies on-screen on PS2 (could've been my disc, too; I bought it used from GameStop), but once I could actually see what was going on, I LOVED it.

Other than that, no, but there are a couple that I didn't think I'd like, took a chance on, and loved. Alice: Madness Returns, and Saints Row The Third come to mind.
#13JKSonicPosted 2/11/2013 9:47:48 AM
Fallout 3, got to level 8 and was bored. Came back to it maybe 5 months later and loved it.

Batman AA as well, got bored with it first time, next time I tried it I beat it (similar thing may happen with AC too...already gave up on it once but recently got it for my PC super cheap).
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#14CyricsServantPosted 2/11/2013 9:57:13 AM
Bioshock and Batman: AA or two of my favorite games this gen too. Probably in my top 10 list. I'm glad you gave the a second chance.

As for myself . . . the only game that really comes to mind is Deadly Premonition. I thought the first hour and a half were dog ****, then didn't touch the game for almost a year. I came back to it, started a new game, and fell in love.

I guess Condemned: Criminal Origins too . . . but unlike with DP, I never quit playing Condemned. It just took until level five (i.e. the "abandoned" shopping mall) for the game to sink its hooks into me.
#15WiiLover94Posted 2/11/2013 10:05:40 AM
The original Dead Rising was the game I initially hated but grew to love. I watched trailers, played the demo and thought it looked stupid. The only reason I picked it up was to get another zombie game after playing L4D2 and it was cheap. Even after a couple hours of gameplay, I despised it. It wasn't until I began to figure out how to survive, level up, and unravel the mystery did it peak my interest. Now Dead Rising is one of my Top 10 video games.
---
"He never saw Molly again."
XBL GT: Hellcamino420
#16MeatwadMontanaPosted 2/14/2013 1:25:53 AM
Nothing this gen, but last gen it was Morrowind for me. I picked it up for $5 at Target after a recommendation from my uncle, and I thought it was dumb at first. Tried it, died, then I tried again 6 months later. Finally got a sword and was swinging it around like an idiot. I accidentally hit a guard and he killed me before I saved. Tried again a month later, made sure not to hit any guards with my sword, and I couldn't put down the game.
#17Dagoth_WitPosted 2/14/2013 2:09:16 AM
pothocket posted...
Mirror's Edge was ok the first time.

It wasn't until going back and exploring the gameplay and trying to get fast times that it started to really click.

Nope. I played it again on the PC and I still don't like it. Free running in first person just doesn't click for me.
---
Maybe God made a monkey that doesn't like to think it's a monkey and lies a lot.
#18HeliosAscensionPosted 2/14/2013 5:06:27 AM
Mass effect was that way for me. I hated the first after multiple attempts. Played the second one and loved it. Went back and played the first again and once I got off the Citadel, I loved it.

Fallout 3 didn't click with me either until a few tries and once I really learned to embrace three VATS system and got further into three story the rest was history.
---
I don't need games to be mature.I need them to entertain me.And sometimes what entertains me is a couple chicks with huge bouncing chests pummeling each other.
#19Halochief6Posted 2/14/2013 5:24:33 AM
Bioshock was the same for me. Absolutely hated the demo. For some reason I decided to try it 2 more times. That third time I played it I liked it. I got the game a week later and it became my 2nd favorite game this gen until getting replaced.

I also want to take this time to say that as a fan of the Batman: Arkham series, it is overrated as hell.
---
"Please explain to me how a dog can help a blind person see the difference in 720p to 1080p in tv sets under 32"?" - NakedSnake1986
#20TheWaitingPosted 2/14/2013 5:52:35 AM
rdking96 posted...
kst8er posted...
this happened with me with dragon age origins. the first time i played it im not sure i really "understood" the style of gameplay. then i went back to it with a different mindset and it is easily in my top three games of all time. same with the first mass effect, the first time i played it i didnt really understand the concept of the tactical style of the combat, i was more into run and gun games, not duck and cover. then i played gears of war and learned how to play that style and went back to mass effect and loved it.

Ah. Yet another game I hate, yet it gets such high regards that I figure I MUST be missing something. Tell me - what is this "style of gameplay" you speak of? What am I missing or overlooking? 'Cause to me it felt like a clunky hack and slash that was testing the waters in regards to story and dialogue trees so they could prepare themselves for Mass Effect...

Not sure how it could be w game where they were preparing for ME as ME had already been released years before. But I think the style of gameplay he's referring to is the battle system which reminded me a bit of KoTOR.
---
GAMERTAG:SollessWarrior