This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most overrated developer this generation?

#91crimsonclaw111Posted 2/7/2013 12:00:53 PM
My vote goes for Bethesda. I mean, Jesus Christ, are their games ever NOT buggy? Support for PS3 is **** on a new low, and their casual "don't worry PS3 fans, we'll grace you with another **** product without fixing the first!" is a nightmare.

At least other companies tried to fix things.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
#92Kyle1022Posted 2/7/2013 12:20:03 PM
Can't be Bethesda, I think Skyrim is overrated but other games they've helped create this gen (Fallout 3, Oblivion, New Vegas even though I think they only published it) are fantastic and the DLC is fantastic. Skyrim is great too, I just think that game is overrated.

I voted Valve because I've played their games and really just don't like any of them. Not a fan of CS, HL, TF2. I liked L4D and L4D2 but they got old quick for me. Unfortunately never got to play the Portal games.
#93BBBanks03Posted 2/7/2013 12:51:29 PM
One angry, angry topic we got here.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#94pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:54:27 PM
BBBanks03 posted...
One angry, angry topic we got here.

I give the people what they want

*turns to crowd*

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#95therickmu25Posted 2/7/2013 12:56:03 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#96HaganPosted 2/7/2013 12:59:22 PM
Rockstar obvi
---
XBL GT= illidan z
http://www.youtube.com/user/illidanz
#97therickmu25Posted 2/7/2013 1:05:39 PM
JGA1980 posted...
Valve.

Most of the kudos they get is for selling other people's games.

If Steam didn't exist and have such great sales, then Valve would be relativity unknown and unrated due to the limited amount of similar games they actually make themselves.

The few games they do make are satisfactory, but aren't anything special, especially if you're not a fan of the first person perspective, shooters, or the Source Engine.

Half Life 1 -Regarded as best FPS ever created
Half Life 2- Regarded as the best FPS ever created topping only HL1.
Counterstrike- The best competitive MP shooter ever created hands down
Portal 1 + 2 - One of, if not the best puzzle game this gen easily
L4D 1 + 2- Best zombie game created this gen + still very active modding community
TF2- most popular Free to play shooter on PC by far
DOTA 2-, Day of Defeat...

Treat gamers better than any company on the planet. provide cheap sales, help other developers that are struggling by promoting their games, and have no deadlines because of A. They have Steam to make money, but most importantly B. They don't release a game till it's amazing.

Worst developer...REALLY?
---
Desktop: http://i.imgur.com/qv9CK.jpg
Current Game Collection: http://i.imgur.com/FYaHS.jpg
#98scoobydoobydontPosted 2/7/2013 1:38:23 PM
Yes really. Listing your personal opinions doesn't invalidate other peoples personal opinions. Everything you said is false to me.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#99JGA1980Posted 2/7/2013 3:13:33 PM
therickmu25 posted...
JGA1980 posted...
Valve.

Most of the kudos they get is for selling other people's games.

If Steam didn't exist and have such great sales, then Valve would be relativity unknown and unrated due to the limited amount of similar games they actually make themselves.

The few games they do make are satisfactory, but aren't anything special, especially if you're not a fan of the first person perspective, shooters, or the Source Engine.

Half Life 1 -Regarded as best FPS ever created
Half Life 2- Regarded as the best FPS ever created topping only HL1.
Counterstrike- The best competitive MP shooter ever created hands down
Portal 1 + 2 - One of, if not the best puzzle game this gen easily
L4D 1 + 2- Best zombie game created this gen + still very active modding community
TF2- most popular Free to play shooter on PC by far
DOTA 2-, Day of Defeat...

Treat gamers better than any company on the planet. provide cheap sales, help other developers that are struggling by promoting their games, and have no deadlines because of A. They have Steam to make money, but most importantly B. They don't release a game till it's amazing.

Worst developer...REALLY?

This topic isn't about the best or worst developer.

I didn't say Valve the were the worst developer, just the most over-rated.

With the exception of DOTA, all those games you listed are FPS which, if you're not a fan of FPS or shooters in general, won't really ender you to Valve as the best developer of games.

Your other positive points about Valve are about Valve the retailer, Valve the publisher and Valve the online merchant who want your custom, which is all well and good, but has little or nothing to do with their prowess as a developer of games.

I don't dislike Valve, I just think they're over-rated as a developer because all of their games I've played I've found to be too similar and boring... to me they all play the same and seem just another mod to Half-Life, a game I found boring and over-rated when it first came out.

Valve's actual games, as in the games they make, aren't bad games per say (they're technically very adequate), it's just that shooters aren't my favourite genre and first person shooters are my least favourite of a genre I don't like much to begin with, so to me all your decelerations of 'this game being the best FPS' and 'that game being the best shooter' are wasted and only go to re-enforce my option that Valve are over-rated as a games developer.

All this other gush about Valve being the saviour of gaming and Steam being the Second Coming is completely irrelevant to Valve as developer of games and the topic at hand, yet still furthers my point about Valve being over-rated because some people give them credit as a developer for things they do as a publisher, retailer and business entity.

Hypothetically I could argue that Microsoft has excellent customer service and support, a worldwide presence in every country, the largest software install base in the world and that Bill Gates gives millions of dollars away to charity, but this have very little to do with the quality of the Fable series or any other game made my Microsoft Game Studios.

Really all this proves is Valve are over-rated as a games developer (I mean truly, beyond my mere opinion), because all you have to do is mention that FPS aren't your cup of tea and you don't find their games that interesting, then suddenly you get people rushing to their defence telling you how great Steam sales are.
#100googlerPosted 2/7/2013 3:19:22 PM
Treyarch by far is the most overrated. I skip every other CoD now after playing the garbage that was CoD3 & WaW