This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you justify the costs for Xbox Live?

#21este914Posted 2/5/2013 11:49:52 AM
I dont buy "Gold" ever. I dont play online ever and for sports games i can just connect anyway to do things like roster updates and regular game updates you get normally with out Gold
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#22otisanimePosted 2/5/2013 11:50:42 AM
XBOX Live is any-amount-of-money too much. Any service of that type that has the audacity to charge for it is. Regardless of the quality. There's just some things that you shouldn't charge for. But you're going to have a hard time getting anyone to admit that. Either they don't care, or they, eerily, embrace the fact as some sort of sign of quality.

Microsoft is free to charge whatever they want, however. I just don't think they should, and I don't think people should so easily let themselves be taken advantage of because they simply "don't care".

Remember, folks. Microsoft tried to bring XBOX Live to PC for a fee, and no one would put up with that. So what did Microsoft do? They made it free on PC.

What did they do for XBOX Live on 360? They raised the MSRP price.

...Yeah.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#23IWUPosted 2/5/2013 11:52:52 AM
Akiba69 posted...
I can't, and anyone who even attempts to defend such a thing is a very foolish person indeed. Especially after you have experienced gaming on other platforms. Typically the people who defend such a thing are people who pay for it and have no other options themselves.

And in your case, you can't justify a $60 fee (or a fee at any price for that matter) because you're used stealing everything you get. So I'm pretty sure your opinion is invalid in this topic, DLC thief.
---
...due to having Asperger I simply don't care... for real. I just... don't. I find everyone weird and I myself am weird. -mtjormitch
#24FreiFightPosted 2/5/2013 11:54:16 AM
Seeing as I only pay 30 bucks for a year, thats 2.50 a month. I pay more a month for my netflix than I do for Live.
---
http://images.wikia.com/starwars-exodus/images/a/a1/Kamulos2.jpg
Now Playing: Farcry 3, Halo 4 (MP), FF 2, X-Com:EU, Pokemon Black 2
#25JascoDPosted 2/5/2013 12:06:35 PM
Akiba69 posted...
I can't, and anyone who even attempts to defend such a thing is a very foolish person indeed. Especially after you have experienced gaming on other platforms. Typically the people who defend such a thing are people who pay for it and have no other options themselves.

This hit me actually after I have played my WiiU for a couple of days, online......for free. The irony is that my Xbox Live gold ended around that time and I have completely lost any kind of lust to pay for something that can be used for free!

I have Netflix on the WiiU, so I'm good to go!

Also, it's in our human nature to question things, like paying for Xbox Live, when other consoles give you that for free. I have payed for it over 4 years and Microsoft has NEVER wanted to reward faithful costumers something nice and for free. Never more!

Unfortunately, I am stuck with the Xbox 360 and I just can't see myself selling it and all my games to buy a PS3, that would hurt my wallet way too much....And I have tried to trade it against a PS3 and losing a couple of games on Ebay and other sites, but no one wants to trade.
---
Itchy Tasty!
#26ValedictorianXDPosted 2/5/2013 12:23:08 PM
JascoD posted...
Akiba69 posted...

This hit me actually after I have played my WiiU for a couple of days, online......for free. The irony is that my Xbox Live gold ended around that time and I have completely lost any kind of lust to pay for something that can be used for free!

I have Netflix on the WiiU, so I'm good to go!

Also, it's in our human nature to question things, like paying for Xbox Live, when other consoles give you that for free. I have payed for it over 4 years and Microsoft has NEVER wanted to reward faithful costumers something nice and for free. Never more!

Unfortunately, I am stuck with the Xbox 360 and I just can't see myself selling it and all my games to buy a PS3, that would hurt my wallet way too much....And I have tried to trade it against a PS3 and losing a couple of games on Ebay and other sites, but no one wants to trade.

Actually, Microsoft did award faithful customers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57549623-75/xbox-live-long-timers-getting-free-xbox-360-consoles/

You weren't that faithful, apparently. Not that I blame you though since who the hell would want to have this for 10 years? After they sent me my free console, I just turned around and sold it for full retail price on craigslist.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[ |||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#27darkshadowmasterPosted 2/5/2013 12:27:22 PM
^

The ****.

Not only have I had live since day 1 but I've bought about 6 360s as well.

THE FREE **** SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE!
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#28Reel_Big_MikePosted 2/5/2013 12:27:36 PM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
I pay $3 a month for it. At that rate, I don't feel a need to 'justify' anything.

Pretty much that. It's pocket change.

Exactly. I've been on XBL for 10 years, and on average I've probably paid $3/month for it. There's no need to justify a purchase that small to anyone; but if I had to I would say that playing Xbox exclusives online, party chat, and faster DLs than PSN alone more than give me $3/month of value.
#29HackfestreturnsPosted 2/5/2013 12:28:00 PM
I had Gold for a couple of years and never had a problem with paying for it. Then I got a PS3 on Black Friday and I let my Gold expire. I don't see a reason to renew it. I feel bad that I paid to "unlock" the internet connectivity built into my 360.

The interesting thing is that I got some PSN money for Christmas, so I got a year of +. Now, maybe it's because I didn't pay, but used a PSN card, but + seems totally worthy. I know this, I won't be paying for both, so why not pay for the one that tacks on a TON of games?
---
Next thing you know, you've been pranked. This is Jon He Does It!
#30homestylesPosted 2/5/2013 12:33:02 PM
I justify the cost of it by...

Phase 1: Wanting to have Xbox Live
Phase 2: Having the required funds to purchase it independent of any other monthly obligations
Phase 3: Purchasing Xbox Live

Simple enough, really.