This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To those of you that collect video games....

#1OaklandRaiderzPosted 2/5/2013 4:21:09 PM
should we just stop collecting video games? what is the purpose of doing so? I get the feeling that every game that is scarce / out of print/ extremely popular will eventually get the royal "HD Collection" treatment or a digital release. I was just thinking about this... my sealed copy of hitman blood money (on the 360) was quite rare and pricey but thanks to the hitman trilogy... its no longer sought after.

I don't see games as investments or anything, but is it worth spending the extra money and buying the special or limited editions of current gen games? will they ever become true collectibles?
---
wat
#2skiguy1981Posted 2/5/2013 4:22:38 PM
no, and to be honest it never was
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#3ElDrDesnudoPosted 2/5/2013 4:23:48 PM
I just got rid of all my 360 games as far as physical copies go. I guess it really is time to let go.
---
*Free Xbox LIVE Codes Giveaway Blog* http://www.free-xbox-live-codes.org/
#4Choir_of_WolvesPosted 2/5/2013 4:25:41 PM
Collectors have different breeds. Great way to look at it is with records too. Some people open it up and take a look and have a play and get their experience out of something and file it on a shelf and get rid of it, most keep it around because they enjoyed it or it has some aesthetic or sentimental value, and others just download copies of the album or buy sealed versions to sell on ebay when the price rises.

You're asking a pretty diverse spectrum, expect rather diverse responses.
---
all posts in this topic are negated if the poster has not listened to the first six Black Sabbath albums. those who disagree will be modded.
#5Choir_of_WolvesPosted 2/5/2013 4:28:47 PM
I get the feeling that every game that is scarce / out of print/ extremely popular will eventually get the royal "HD Collection" treatment or a digital release. I was just thinking about this... my sealed copy of hitman blood money (on the 360) was quite rare and pricey but thanks to the hitman trilogy... its no longer sought after.

In a sense yes, in a sense no. Its bound to happen as new crowds discover old games and old games find their appreciation from studios or groups and ported or adapted to various systems...but that doesn't depreciate the original. Maybe slightly in this generation, where you're lucky if you even get a book anymore with most games. Final Fantasy 7 is a pretty steadfast point here because it's a perfect example of a downloadable game that has been downloaded heavily but is also still available and heavily traded. It depreciated with the release of a PS3 compatible version, but mostly because the market got flooded with copies.
---
all posts in this topic are negated if the poster has not listened to the first six Black Sabbath albums. those who disagree will be modded.
#6vigorm0rtisPosted 2/5/2013 4:31:11 PM
Collectors like to justify their hobby by pointing out the 'worth' of their collections, but almost none of them ever profit by getting rid of them. Instead, they just keep them. Getting and having the collection is what most hobbyists are about.

Games were always a bad investment in terms of value, though. Anything that requires proprietary hardware to use suffers in value.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#7glassghost0Posted 2/5/2013 4:37:43 PM
As far as I'm concerned, my collection has no monetary value. I don't plan on selling anything and won't.

But to say that all Collector's Editions are worthless would be a lie.

The value of my collection is all personal or sentimental I guess.
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428