This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's better in a headset: Real 5.1 surround sound or Virtual 7.1?

#1CamaroBeatStangPosted 2/5/2013 6:03:34 PM
I see that virtual tag but it is 7.1...which is better in real life?
#2CapwnDPosted 2/5/2013 6:08:14 PM
CamaroBeatStang posted...
I see that virtual tag but it is 7.1...which is better in real life?

They're both virtual. I'll articulate more in a bit. Wicked poo.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#3CapwnDPosted 2/5/2013 6:25:42 PM
They're both virtual. Don't get hung up on one or the other. Either is fine.

In both cases they are taking a 5.1 signal. 6 channels of audio over toslink, in no case are you getting 7.1 8 channels anyways. They take the 6 channel audio and make the sound into virtual surround sound using Dolby Headphone Technology. The headphones themselves are nothing special, they are just regular 2 channel headphones with a mic* (note the asterisk)

So the sound going to your headphones is two channel audio which has been turned into a virtual surround. Don't let this disillusion you. It sounds great and is still nothing short of magic! The important thing is to get headphones that actually do audio processing if you want the virtual surround sound. The cheaper headphones will still sound good and give you some directional effect, but when you pay more you get better stuff generally.

* In the case of the Tritton AX Pro, those actually have 4 speakers per ear cup and are said to have pretty good descrite directional surround but suffer in overall audio quality.
---
#4CamaroBeatStang(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 7:06:02 PM
Ah I see, thanks a lot. I always love learning more about how a piece of tech actually works behind the scenes and inside the physical product. Thank god I was born loving technology and messing around with it.
#5CapwnDPosted 2/5/2013 7:17:41 PM
I met a sound engineer who's working on some neat stuff. he's studying the ear shapes and working on ways to further customize the sound more. Not sure if he's talking about physical products or software that does sound matrixing like Dolby Headphone technology. But his wife complains because he has a bunch of heads in the house!

With the success of COD and headphones, there already have been some exciting options in the past 3 years or so, I hope that the sound can be improved even more. It's already pretty amazing and I still have to take my headphones off sometimes to make sure that I don't have my 7.1 system on. The PC360 are open air headphones (open back, not closed or noise canceling) so it makes it sound even more like the room's natural sound instead of wearing headphones.
---