This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Early thoughts on Dead Space 3?

#11MashYouGoodPosted 2/6/2013 6:59:45 AM
^ And that's why crap games get made again and again- there's a sap / fanboy with more money than sense who'll buy them.
#12Surv1valismPosted 2/6/2013 7:03:56 AM
Yeah stop being a sap and buying thing's you like. Let's all just rally and buy bayonetta all day
---
GT: IAstro ZombieI ( i's)
PSN: IThe_WretchedI http://www.listal.com/list/game-collection-astrozombie29 (not finished)
#13bossk5Posted 2/6/2013 7:05:18 AM
MashYouGood posted...
^ And that's why crap games get made again and again- there's a sap / fanboy with more money than sense who'll buy them.

I don't care a bit about the series. I just hate purists and like to do my part to make their tummies hurt. The copies will sit on my shelf untouched.....like 1 and 2. ;)
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#14KillaBeAtPosted 2/6/2013 7:15:42 AM
The argument about this game always boils down to exactly this

DS3 fans: people need to stop hating on the changes made to the series! Think for yourself and align your opinion perfectly with mine!

DS3 haters: if the millions of people who keep buying their product have their way, then my own personal tastes will never be fulfilled! Stop being a sheep to companies like EA and Activision and develop your own tastes (as long as you promise not to like the things I hate).

Personally, I didn't like DS2 all that much, but somebody must have since it got great reviews and sold several million copies. Want to know my plan for when DS3 comes out?

I'm not going to buy it, but I'm also not gong to cry foul because EA is trying to make a game tha appeals to the broadest audience possible. You want a horror game, then go play a ****ing horror game, but believe it or not, your tastes are not universal.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#15mrhappyguy12345Posted 2/6/2013 7:37:49 AM
KillaBeAt posted...
The argument about this game always boils down to exactly this

DS3 fans: people need to stop hating on the changes made to the series! Think for yourself and align your opinion perfectly with mine!

DS3 haters: if the millions of people who keep buying their product have their way, then my own personal tastes will never be fulfilled! Stop being a sheep to companies like EA and Activision and develop your own tastes (as long as you promise not to like the things I hate).

Personally, I didn't like DS2 all that much, but somebody must have since it got great reviews and sold several million copies. Want to know my plan for when DS3 comes out?

I'm not going to buy it, but I'm also not gong to cry foul because EA is trying to make a game tha appeals to the broadest audience possible. You want a horror game, then go play a ****ing horror game, but believe it or not, your tastes are not universal.

How can you like ds but not ds2? It's not quite as scary, but it fixed almost every tiny problem from 1(heck just getting rid of that pain in the ass asteroid blasting segment was enough for me). There weren't really any major changes that I can think of. Not trying to argue or anything.
---
I love video games : )
#16BlueJester007Posted 2/6/2013 7:42:45 AM
It feels like Dead Space to me. I really don't know what the issue is with others.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#17Dragon NexusPosted 2/6/2013 7:49:29 AM(edited)
Could be the end of Visceral, this. I remember reading DS3 needed to shift 5 million copies to begin making a profit.

With the average of 8/10 when the series had been getting higher than that before it could struggle to do that. And we know what EA does with underperformers.

You want a horror game, then go play a ****ing horror game, but believe it or not, your tastes are not universal.

That's such a dumb statement. It was a horror game before, you can't say people are being unreasonable for wanting it to stay that way.
I understand the argument for broadening the market. Games should be accessable to all, not just a core demographic that always gets its way or whatever. But to change a game series so severely just makes a mockery of your fanbase.

It would be like changing Gran turismo into a game like Burnout then arguing "If you want to play a racing sim, then go play a racing sim and leave us Gran Crashismo fans alone!"
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#18KillaBeAtPosted 2/6/2013 7:50:12 AM
The novelty of the dismemberment system wore off by the end of the first game for me. When I picked it up the first time it came off strikingly as a horror game (a genre which I love) but I enjoyed my first play through, even after I realized that it wasn't. Once the novelty of the game started to wear off though, I didn't particularly care for the shooting mechanics, and didn't find the games universe that interesting.

I also liked the idea of being a regular guy thrust into extreme circumstances, and after the first one Isaac was just another TPS protagonist.

Objectively? I'm sure DS2 was much better than DS1. But all the changes they made between the two games turned me off the series Andy when DS3 looked like it was going to bring those changes further, i decided not to buy it.

The difference is, I didn't cry a river of tears when DS2 came out and talk about how they were stabbing their fans in the back and blah blah blah. They took the game n the direction they wanted to go with in order to produce a game that the most people would play and enjoy ( it was a multi-million dollar production, after all) and I didn't care for it. It's as simple as that.

People can accuse me of not being open minded because I don't completely agree with their opinion. They can call people who like and support the game sheep because their opinions are different from that of the Internet. The game and its developers owed nothing to me, and I owe nothing to them.

the same thing happened with Mass Effect. I loved one, but just didn't really get into 2. Some of the changes were good, but I found it was far more linear than the original. I didn't care for what I was seeing out of the third one either so I didn't buy it.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#19vigorm0rtisPosted 2/6/2013 7:53:41 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Could be the end of Visceral, this. I remember reading DS3 needed to shift 5 million copies to begin making a profit.
"

Holy crow, seriously? The game budget could not have been that big. Halo 4 didn't need to move that many copies.Was Visceral in the red or something?
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#20KillaBeAtPosted 2/6/2013 7:57:27 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

With the average of 8/10 when the series had been getting higher than that before it could struggle to do that. And we know what EA does with underperformers.

You want a horror game, then go play a ****ing horror game, but believe it or not, your tastes are not universal.

That's such a dumb statement. It was a horror game before, you can't say people are being unreasonable for wanting it to stay that way.
I understand the argument for broadening the market. Games should be accessable to all, not just a core demographic that always gets its way or whatever. But to change a game series so severely just makes a mockery of your fanbase.

It would be like changing Gran turismo into a game like Burnout then arguing "If you want to play a racing sim, then go play a racing sim and leave us Gran Crashismo fans alone!"

That is actually exactly what I would say.

You don't get to decide what happens with a franchise. It doesn't BELONG to you. It doesn't bend to your will. Developers are allowed to do whatever they want with their franchises. If they strip out this imaginary "soul" from their games and you feel slighted as a fan, then be upset, be frustrated, don't buy the game, don't do whatever, but don't complain that they didn't make the game YOU wanted them to, because they don't make games for YOU they make them for everyone.

You can say that the original Dead Space was a horror game (I would disagree with you) first and foremost, but the fact remains that the developers didn't want it to be a horror game, and now it isn't. If a franchise did a 100% u-turn n genre and style, I'm sure it would piss off its fans to the point where no one would buy it (not unlike another major franchise that did just such a move recently) but its still the developers choice.

I'm not saying you need to be happy about the changes and swallow them down with a smile, but don't act like Dead Space was made to be anything ther than what the developers wanted t to be.
---