This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I would really like to play that XCOM FPS

#1bluehat94Posted 2/5/2013 9:19:55 PM
It got a lot of hate when it was first announced, but now that an original gameplay style XCOM has released, I decided to take a look at the FPS version that was being developed by 2K Marin (Bioshock 2), and you know what? It looks really cool. It's got a lot of the features of XCOM, (Choosing what to salvage, using the salvage to upgrade your base and deck out your allies, etc.) but in FPS form.

The gameplay actually seems pretty tactical, and the ability to actually wander around your based and chat with the people and such is really cool. I also love the art style and setting. Here's a demo of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVTqf0RHHc

I remember rumors that the game was turned into a TPS and made into a downloadable title which I hope isn't the case, because what was there was very interesting.

So, is anyone else interested in the game?
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#2SunDevil77Posted 2/5/2013 9:23:14 PM
So, is it in the same universe as the other XCOM? I love the Aliens in XCOM.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#3bluehat94(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 9:24:17 PM
I'm actually not sure, but the aliens that they have are really cool.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#4Halochief6Posted 2/5/2013 9:34:48 PM
I remember when it was announced I really would've liked to play it. I haven't heard about it in over a year though. Is it in purgatory or something?
---
"Please explain to me how a dog can help a blind person see the difference in 720p to 1080p in tv sets under 32"?" - NakedSnake1986
#5bluehat94(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 9:45:23 PM(edited)
I saw this article today which in part inspired this topic:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/05/take-two-on-next-gen-development-costs-gta-v-xcom?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

So it's still on, it's just what form it's in that is uncertain.
---
#6SikkaSillPosted 2/5/2013 9:47:51 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7bluehat94(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:12:27 PM
Come on, no one else?
---
#8SheepinatorPosted 2/5/2013 10:16:04 PM
They are in "show me" mode. Multiple delays and currently dark sounds like they're having some big problems, and if the rumor is true that it's a downloadable release not a retail release that sounds like it's DOA. Remember that very average Ubi game I Am Alive, it was also originally a retail release, came out much later as a $15 Arcade game.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#9bluehat94(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:21:07 PM(edited)
The difference with I Am Alive though, was that we never actually got to see gameplay, and they changed just about everything about the game with the redesign, setting, artstyle, characters, mood, I remember when it was supposed to be a game about a guy just trying to survive right after the world went to hell.
---
#10memphis12Posted 2/5/2013 11:44:03 PM(edited)
I think you playing Xcom FPS is slim to none. When Irrational Games announced they were turning Xcom into a FPS (2006) there was a negative reaction from fans of the original games.
Basically Xcom: Enemy Unknown would not have been made if Xcom hadn't been announced. Fans (myself included) voiced their concerns & frustration at Xcom being changed to much for the "modern gamer" a change in development later on and a complete U Turn on the game mechanics gave fans hope.. But alas, it was delayed yet again.

Firaxis Games took this chance to make a new Xcom: Enemy Unknown as close to the original as possible very fast. It is one of the best games I've played this gen (original Xcom is my 2nd top game of all time)
With the announcement of a new huge expansion, fans more than happy with the end product & critical success.. I really can't see where Xcom will fit in.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'