This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EDGE on Next Xbox: Must be online, No second-hand games, come with Kinect

#71darkshadowmasterPosted 2/6/2013 11:40:39 AM
Donomega posted...

Just like with Kinect, they believe no one has disabled kids/family members.

I'm curious, what exactly can they do about that. Not trying to be a dick.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#72shawnmckPosted 2/6/2013 11:41:10 AM
This could also be a trial balloon for Microsoft....
That is, they release the rumor of these things to see how the public reacts, and if it gets positive reception then they impliment it, but if it gets negative reception then they come out to reject the rumors.
#73universaldavePosted 2/6/2013 11:46:02 AM(edited)
Maybe they're trolling Sony. Sony releases PS4 with all these anti-gamer "features" they've already floated out there, confidant that MS is going to do the same then BAM, the Nextbox is released with none of this nonsense. Complete and utter domination.
---
Gamefaqs: where men who can't get dates take every opportunity to tell everyone about their incredibly high standards when it comes to women.
#74SytherantisPosted 2/6/2013 12:06:41 PM
shawnmck posted...
This could also be a trial balloon for Microsoft....
That is, they release the rumor of these things to see how the public reacts, and if it gets positive reception then they impliment it, but if it gets negative reception then they come out to reject the rumors.

This is my first thought as well. Usually if an absolutely ridiculous rumor comes out, the company in question shoots it down quite quickly. If they take a few weeks to respond to the rumor, it usually means they themselves started it, or it is close to the truth.
---
Friends don't let friends buy digital clothes with real money.
#75Ampharos64Posted 2/6/2013 1:35:57 PM
darkshadowmaster posted...
I'm curious, what exactly can they do about that. Not trying to be a dick.

To answer it a little myself, though I'll be interested to see what Donomega says, I accept, as far as Kinect games go, they can't always really do much, those games are mostly going to be based around the whole idea of motion control. But alternative control schemes would be really nice in cases where it were possible, as a disabled gamer myself it's something I'd very much appreciate. I just can't play games that are heavily reliant on motion controls or touchscreen use any more. It's not always going to be possible, but it's something it'd be nice to see devs bear in mind, perhaps set through menu options - for instance, if they make a puzzle that relies on, say, following a sound, could they include an alternative that used a trail of visible notes, so deaf players could still do it without having to look up the directions? Well, maybe in a more ideal world they would implement that kind of thing. XD

Nintendo irritated me more than anyone on that, though, just the idea that what they were doing was were making games more accessible by focusing on the motion control stuff, considering they've now managed to make a lot of games that are totally unplayable for me, and I expect many other gamers with disabilities, which made me a bit sad. : (I'd have thought more people would be able to play games that used button inputs than motion controls.
#76MashYouGoodPosted 2/6/2013 5:12:00 PM
Second hand game incompatibility will put the games companies too far offside of retailers- their No.1 advertising medium.

Unless they're planning to go full digital, sales and advertising (which would be commercial suicide), they simply cannot restrict the re-sale of used games.

Even from the point of view of the consumer- do they expect people to 'gamble' US$60 on titles they know nada about? Without the recourse to at least trade down the track? Demos won't cut it in an era with "50GB" game disks- no one will bother downloading 10GB+ demos over and over.

I don't see the DRM stuff happening unless M$ have given up striving to be a market leader.
#77C810Posted 2/6/2013 7:50:25 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
you'd also have to be stupid to think that cheap gamers would give up on a console because they can't buy used games for it anymore.

they will still find sales and wait for the games to hit bargin bins lol

It's more about the principle of it than anything else. If you're an achievement junkie, you'd have to resort to buying all your games instead of renting them via Gamefly or Redbox. It would just make no sense to do that. Also, trading games with friends is something that people have grown used to be able to do.

cup_a_soup posted...
Panner posted...
If this happens then i wont be buying Microsofts next console.
Online DRM is bad enough as i dont always have my 360 connected to the net, but to limit me buying only new games is a no buy from me.
What if the game i want is out of print and cant be found new anymore? The only way to buy it would be pre-owned.

Or through the Xbox Marketplace.

At a ridiculous price though. The XBL Marketplace has horrible deals in the Games on Demand section
---
"Modern Biology is Chemistry, modern Chemistry is Physics, and modern Physics is...crazy." - Mark Peyron