This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For those who truly believe the new consoles will require an Internet connection

#1Perfect LightPosted 2/6/2013 10:07:59 AM
Think about all the PC games that release and require constant Internet connection, along with the ****storm that goes with it. Now, imagine a company releasing an entire console in that fashion. Not to mention there are millions and millions of consoles that never get connected to the Internet.

Never gonna happen.

As for the no used games thing? Possible, but also highly unlikely.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#2TravarkothPosted 2/6/2013 10:09:32 AM(edited)
It would be horrible.

Ubisoft did it, I think... Are they still doing it?
---
"Please stop being human. "
--- 343 Guilty Spark ---
#3Dragon NexusPosted 2/6/2013 11:46:39 AM

Yup, still at it.

People complain about online-only for many reasons, but I think the best reason can be summed up thusly.
"If the developer expects me to be online all the time, I expect the developer's servers to be online all the time."

The idea of buying a game is to play it as and when the mood takes you. If you're stopped because Ubisoft or Blizzard was having an off day and their servers go down, potentially millions, and certainly tens of thousands, of people are unable to use something they paid for. And for what purpose? DRM. Does the DRM work? Of course not, because the people who pirate the game manage to circumvent the DRM and thus don't *need* the developer's servers to be online to play their game.

The only people the Always Online DRM practise affects are the legitimate consumers who bought the game with actually money that went to the publisher and developer. How is that right, exactly?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#4darkshadowmasterPosted 2/6/2013 11:50:20 AM
Travarkoth posted...
It would be horrible.

I can see a game doing it, but a console? There are too many places in the world at the moment that either have bad or no internet at all. Releasing a console that required internet would make them lose the sales to those individuals so there is no way they would do that.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#5BraveDogBFGPosted 2/6/2013 12:40:42 PM
Yeah, Diablo III did terrible... er, broke records
#6lunchEATSyouPosted 2/6/2013 12:55:12 PM
Rumors are starting to say otherwise:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#7TheBlueStigPosted 2/6/2013 12:55:39 PM
If only one hardware maker decided to do it, yes, it's improbable that it would happen.

But if they got together behind the scenes and ALL decided to do it, it's going to happen, at which case the entire market would come to a standstill until they woke the f*** up and released new versions of the hardware without the used game blocks.

If they refused to remove the blocks, it would be another market crash.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#8SparkItUpPosted 2/6/2013 12:57:47 PM
lunchEATSyou posted...
Rumors are starting to say otherwise:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

I heard a rumor that the consoles are going to be launched tomorrow as a surprise...I know it isn't going to happen, but it is a rumor I heard.

Point being....rumors ARE NOT FACTS.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#9SoincMetalPosted 2/6/2013 1:00:14 PM
What happens when you need to replace your console? All your games are gone......for a time being or indefinitely so to speak.
---
SonicMetal? See the error in my name! I Skate DGK All Day. Brawl FC:4511-0201-6892
#10dannyaqPosted 2/6/2013 1:01:43 PM
So you stopped and thought about the ****storm that is raised when a game requires always online DRM, but did you stop and think about how companies keep doing it anyway? sure there have been some instances where companies have backpedaled, but then companies continue doing it anyway. they will shrug off the complaints like they alwys do. And the thing is, microsoft relys on their online platform more than the competition, so it makes some sense. I will just be annoyed when my internet goes out.

reaslistically i expect some functionality offline, but i do expect an internet connection to be required to associate your console with a newly purchased game or something like thta. after you synch things online, i expect you could play offline to a certain extent if your connection goes out or you set up a lan or whatever.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't