This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nex Gen XBOX to prohibit used games?

#1BraveDogBFGPosted 2/6/2013 11:38:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/next-gen-xbox-details-emerge-reinforcing-reports-used-164504269.html

Reports circulating that all next gen xbox games will require an activation code or some such to prohibit used games from being playable.

If so, you can put a fork in Microsoft. There is no way I will stand for that. I buy a game, its mine. I didn't buy a license to play at your permission. I can take the game and play it, burn it and SELL it if I choose.

You eff with that, you lose the console war
#2SparkItUpPosted 2/6/2013 11:42:25 AM
good lord, did you not see the other 6 or 7 threads on the front page?
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#3OKRecords1138Posted 2/6/2013 11:44:25 AM
And this is why I will not support a next gen console.
---
See all your favorite toys of yesterday and today at The Toy Box - thetoybox1138.blogspot.com
#4oasisbeyondPosted 2/6/2013 11:44:38 AM
Cool, then I'll buy my games at 20$ new like I did all of this gen...
#5megamanx1979Posted 2/6/2013 11:45:01 AM
oasisbeyond posted...
Cool, then I'll buy my games at 20$ new like I did all of this gen...

lol
#6OKRecords1138Posted 2/6/2013 11:48:41 AM
Also, RIP Gamestop. That's where the majority of their funds come from.
---
See all your favorite toys of yesterday and today at The Toy Box - thetoybox1138.blogspot.com
#7glassghost0Posted 2/6/2013 11:51:45 AM
If anyone thinks that's true, they're dumb
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428
#8MichaeIPachterPosted 2/6/2013 11:52:30 AM
This is a good move. I hope Sony does the same thing so they can put all the crooks out of business.
---
It's a profit deal.
#9OKRecords1138Posted 2/6/2013 11:54:12 AM
MichaeIPachter posted...
This is a good move. I hope Sony does the same thing so they can put all the crooks out of business.

Crooks? I hardly qualify buying a used game at three bucks as me being robbed.
---
#10KillaBeAtPosted 2/6/2013 12:04:11 PM(edited)
This "report" comes from Edge Magazine. Which means it should be, at best, taken with a grain of salt and, at worst, treated as utter speculative horse-****.

I don't think it's going to happen and, even if it does, all the people who are complaining about it now and talking about how they'll go back to playing their PS2s if it happens will, instead, buy the console and continue to complain about it for an entire console generation.

Either way, Microsoft isn't stupid. Even if they DO use activation codes, they are probably going to make it so that those licenses are transferable for a small fee or something. They don't want to stop the sale of Used games, they just want to stop a store from being able to put a title up for 54.99 that they make $20 profit on and the publisher makes none next to a copy for 59.99 that they make $10 and the publisher makes $10.

You will likely still be able to buy "used" copies of games, but there won't be an entire industry built out of leeching profits out of publishers. In my opinion, it's an option that benefits both the publishers, and the people who want to buy and sell used games.

On one hand by eliminating the needed profit margin for trade in values, you increase the bargaining power of both the person buying, and the person SELLING the used game.

(that is, instead of gamestop giving you $20 and turning around and selling the game for $50, you and the person you are selling to meet somewhere in the middle).

On the other hand, a small license transfer fee can be charged so that a) people aren't just giving their games to their friends when they are done with them and b) the publishers can see revenue for their own games, no matter how the game is purchased.

So, instead of taking your game to gamestop, they give you $20, and sell the game for $50, pocketing the $30 for themselves, you could sell if for $25, someone could buy it for $35, and $10 could go to the publisher. Making you more money, saving them more money, and making money for the people who actually CREATED the product to begin with.

Microsoft isn't going to outright BAN the sale of used games, but to argue that Gamestops used game policy isn't designed DIRECTLY to siphon profits off of a publisher is stupid, because that's exactly what it is.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.