This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nex Gen XBOX to prohibit used games?

#21deimos91Posted 2/6/2013 12:25:54 PM
OKRecords1138 posted...
Also, RIP Gamestop. That's where the majority of their funds come from.

they still got wiiu/vita/3ds and ps3( sony will keep it alive for at least a few years)
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#22SL68Posted 2/6/2013 12:28:12 PM
That has to be a false rumor. It would be like saying that it wouldn't work with SD TVs at all.
#23Dragon NexusPosted 2/6/2013 12:30:58 PM
Jeez, I keep trying to say to people the world isn't cyclical following repetitive patterns over and over, and yet here we are with this BS again.

These boards are so predictable.
"What? A rumour says something I disagree with despite being unproven and not from any source other than the author's own imagination? That's it, I'm not buying the next gen console."
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#24SixStringHeroPosted 2/6/2013 1:09:14 PM
The publisher does not deserve more money for the sale of a used game. They already profited from the initial sale. Online passes for used titles are bad practice as server space was already allocated for the purchase of the title. Why do publishers feel they are entitled to more profits from a title that already sold new once?

I purchase 95 percent of my games new. My friends and family also share games. We have been doing this for years, well before online passes and DLC became the norm, and now the industry would have us believe this is an issue. It's a joke and they want to guilt the consumer for purchasing used which has been part of the ecology of gaming since it's inception.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#25Dragon NexusPosted 2/6/2013 3:31:56 PM
The publisher does not deserve more money for the sale of a used game. They already profited from the initial sale.

So along you come, want the game and buy it. But you buy it used, so your sale doesn't give them any money.
Can you really not fathom this? The developer only gets money from the *first* sale. Any subsiquent sale is money going somewhere else.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#26scythecamPosted 2/6/2013 6:44:52 PM
JKSonic posted...
So the bottom line is you're perfectly happy to have a corporation tell you what you can and can't do with the products you spend your money on. That's fine. I suppose it worked for communists....Oh, wait...

Except that you do realize when you "purchase" a game you're only purchases the right to play it...right? You may own the disc but you don't own the game itself, just the ability to play it for as long as they deem.

Not exactly, unless youre suggesting that companies can compell customers to turn in their copies at their request.

Legal precedent doesnt really side with you.
---
One-and-Donecos
#27NavexPosted 2/6/2013 10:21:07 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
The publisher does not deserve more money for the sale of a used game. They already profited from the initial sale.

So along you come, want the game and buy it. But you buy it used, so your sale doesn't give them any money.
Can you really not fathom this? The developer only gets money from the *first* sale. Any subsiquent sale is money going somewhere else.

Boo ****ing hoo. Do you work for Google or another company that insists that they have their hand up every person's ass?

I'll be honest, I would still get the new system if it was used game block HOWEVER that's not to say I approve of the idea. (yes, I'm sure I'll be quoted now saying by buying it I support though amirite?) I guess you could say I'm biased as I always buy my games new but I understand a lot of people don't and I'm a very supportive person when it comes to keeping these companies out of our personal business affairs.

Companies have existed for years with the used game trade going on as well but until the last year or so, now it's an issue? Why now? Because times are tough and economies are weak (not just the US I'm speaking of here either) with the gaming market in particular being weaker than it ever was before. Companies are going under, business is dwindling, turnover rates are jumping, everyone is going the cheap route to save a buck or two and now these game companies can't ignore used games sales anymore because they see it as a viable threat in this horrendous economy. /run-onsentence

I hope they never do this. I don't think they will, don't honestly think they'd have the balls to but you never really know with MS. I don't believe they'll do it though but do not deny it's an option I'm sure they've considered as well as Sony with their PS4. That's probably why in the end you won't see it imposed as neither of them wants to be the "bad guy" of this proposed feature and certainly if one does it the other will not to compete better.
---
The Jess Margera Rock Radio Show
7PM-8PM EST every Wednesday night on PoochFM.com
#28Halo_ForeverPosted 2/6/2013 11:21:15 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Xbox DRM makes buying new a hassle too if you have multiple consoles or profiles.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#29pelon213Posted 2/6/2013 11:48:13 PM
Anyone here use STEAM? It is kind of the same thing & works great. I will support Microsoft & seems to me that the majority of people complaining are the ones that buy used. I can feel their pain but don't really think it is that big of a deal.
---
XboX Tag = XAztec WarriorX
STEAM = Pelon213
#30TheGam3925Posted 2/6/2013 11:59:36 PM
Presuming that the rumors are true, if MS loses too much money from this they will either drop the no used thing or the console will be doomed. The video game industry has kissed a lot of consumer ass this gen surprisingly and they may have to do it again if need be.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925