This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Not buying used" is nothing new really..

#1memphis12Posted 2/6/2013 1:21:01 PM
Isn't this "no used games" just what apple has been doing.....
Only on a much smaller scale. You don't sell your apps once you're finished with them. Fair enough apps are no where near as expensive as a console game, but it's the beginning of what's to come.

Books are now digital. You can technically loan your book out, but you can't sell it & make your money back.

Music HMV shops closing left right & centre is no surprise. CD's are a thing of the past, digital downloads is now, no selling them either.

Films From Sky, Netflix, LoveFilm to Blinkbox etc .. You pay for films to rent or some to buy. You can't sell them to get your money back. Even some Blu Rays have digital copies you can download onto your IPad etc.

Games Apple has been giving us clear signs now of what works and that making things simple makes them a lot of money.

I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of "not buying used games" on next gen.. But surely no ones naive enough to believe this isn't the future, because believe it or not, it's the present.

I guess we just have to roll with the times...
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#2JenniferTatePosted 2/6/2013 1:26:42 PM
I'm with you, sir.

HMV's Vault is a pretty cool digital service, though. You should check it out. I did all the graphic design.
---
I'm takin' no direction and I walk-a real slow
For the words of oppression are go, go, go
#3memphis12(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:37:15 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...
I'm with you, sir.

HMV's Vault is a pretty cool digital service, though. You should check it out. I did all the graphic design.

Really? I can't get onto their website as down while they sort stuff out. I'm at the north east one almost daily lol.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#4Limp_sugarPosted 2/6/2013 1:40:08 PM
check the sig
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#5OgesMCPosted 2/6/2013 1:43:06 PM
I'm probably the only person who still reads actual books, listens to actual cassettes and cds, uses a landline, and does not own any sort of smart "device" or tablet.

People are letting technology take over their lives and since everyone blindly does it, it is now "normal". Pretty sad really, the new generation will never have held a book.
---
35 Lightnin'
#6metroidman92Posted 2/6/2013 1:44:30 PM
The fact that music, books, and movies are all easily pirate-able kinda renders that point moot. (not that I endorse it)

There are programs to rip audio from youtube for free.
Anyone with a computer can burn the movies they get from netflix.
As for books, well I'm sure that .pdf's exist somewhere for the more popular/ classic titles.

Games are the one media that are still somewhat hard to pirate (at least on consoles) And even on PC, I'm sure Steam and Origin are helping to stem the piracy of games.

I guess my point is that people that are morally ok with piracy don't need to worry about buying used on those things in the 1st place.
---
MAAAAAAARRRRRRRKKKKKKKK
NUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
#7cloudriveraPosted 2/6/2013 1:46:31 PM
OgesMC posted...
I'm probably the only person who still reads actual books, listens to actual cassettes and cds, uses a landline, and does not own any sort of smart "device" or tablet.

People are letting technology take over their lives and since everyone blindly does it, it is now "normal". Pretty sad really, the new generation will never have held a book.

Why does it matter how people read a book? They're still reading the book! Seriously some of these arguments make no sense.
---
currently playing: COD: Black Ops 2, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
#8memphis12(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:48:25 PM
metroidman92 posted...
The fact that music, books, and movies are all easily pirate-able kinda renders that point moot. (not that I endorse it)

There are programs to rip audio from youtube for free.
Anyone with a computer can burn the movies they get from netflix.
As for books, well I'm sure that .pdf's exist somewhere for the more popular/ classic titles.

Games are the one media that are still somewhat hard to pirate (at least on consoles) And even on PC, I'm sure Steam and Origin are helping to stem the piracy of games.

I guess my point is that people that are morally ok with piracy don't need to worry about buying used on those things in the 1st place.

Whaaaaaaat!!!? Lol. Pirating games is as easy as you want it to be. Surely you're aware that games are leaked onto the net before they're even released.
We'll leave it at that, as I'l get modded :p
---
#9DieMyBridePosted 2/6/2013 1:57:15 PM(edited)
My thing is this would damage Gamestop (hey some people actually like the store!) and especially Gamefly, which would probably go out of business completely.

Another side is maybe if you wanted to lend your copy to a friend but you can't. It's not like everyone would make a demo for people to get an idea of the games, it's too expensive and time consuming. Also most demos are so bugged, it would leave a bad impression.

Making you buy a game you aren't really sure about and being stuck with it, can't bring it back to the store. It would just be a mess. Wouldn't this violate consumer rights?
---
XboxLive GT:JoeStillLife
#10_LordAndSaviorPosted 2/6/2013 1:57:17 PM
OgesMC posted...

I'm with you brother.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.