This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For people complaining about the "always online" thing for 720

#11Dragon NexusPosted 2/6/2013 9:39:23 PM
I vote for all the retailers refusing to sell the systems if they block used games, no retailers selling locked systems = dead hardware and the hardware makers go back to the drawing board.

Well if it's online only, you just make all the games digital.
Retailer problem solved. Plus you have the added bonus of dictating the online price in your own store.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#12SquareSidePosted 2/6/2013 11:10:20 PM
Can't play my NES anymore because they took the server down years ago. Who am I kidding, no body will want to play the next XBOX after that many years.

http://imagehaul.com/thehauls/89c9ccad4979e5f550193466d71859c0.jpg
---
PSN XBL n'' - SquareSide
True 3DS Ambassador. Not a scrub who came in late and saved a buck.
#13The DevourerPosted 2/6/2013 11:13:27 PM
Sailor Goon posted...
Rob_the_Ninja posted...
You seriously think that sounds any better?

paying a tiny fee to play the used game versus not being able to sell the game / buy used at all? Yes it is.

So...online passes?
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#14TheBlueStigPosted 2/7/2013 8:31:11 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I vote for all the retailers refusing to sell the systems if they block used games, no retailers selling locked systems = dead hardware and the hardware makers go back to the drawing board.

Retailer problem solved. Plus you have the added bonus of dictating the online price in your own store.

If you "solve the retailer problem", then those retailers refuse to sell your hardware, then your hardware is dead. So much for solving the problem, you solved yourself out of a job.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#15Cloak973Posted 2/7/2013 8:34:42 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Not everyone has Internet, or one fast enough for that to be viable, some people don't have credit cards or choose not to put it on their Xbox, etc.

there's a ton of reason why an online digital download only with no used games wouldn't work for a console.
---
XBL GT - The Snapple Cap
NY Giants 9-7/ Brooklyn Nets 28-19
#16Dragon NexusPosted 2/7/2013 9:41:24 AM
Not everyone has Internet, or one fast enough for that to be viable, some people don't have credit cards or choose not to put it on their Xbox, etc.

there's a ton of reason why an online digital download only with no used games wouldn't work for a console.

Not disagreeing with you, I'm saying that's the alternative.
A digital only console at this stage of internet technology would be a disaster, as much as publishers really want it to happen.

Give it ten or so years and it might come about. Once the US, Europe , Australia and Japan get proper internet connection *at least* then they can consider getting a digital only system out. We're a long way off, and who knows we might not even have consoles by then.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#17Perfect LightPosted 2/7/2013 9:48:56 AM(edited)
Sailor Goon posted...
Most customers DONT buy used, though.

So then what are the devs whining about? In reality, used games sales do not hurt the market, but the boo hoo publishers would have us believe otherwise so they can have an "excuse" to charge people for more.

You're telling me that EA raking in 1.36 BILLION in the final quarter of 2012 alone isn't enough? They expect us to believe they're hurting for money oh no boo hoo used games hurt us so much! EA is the biggest offender of this crap and it's time people realize they are full of ****.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#18Mutant1988Posted 2/7/2013 10:05:10 AM
SquareSide posted...
Can't play my NES anymore because they took the server down years ago. Who am I kidding, no body will want to play the next XBOX after that many years.

This.

This also applies to online passes and license transfers of digital downloads.

Go all physical or all digital. Combining them renders the former redundant. Once the digital part disappears (By no fault of yours, but simply because it's no longer profitable to maintain - Let's not forget that these system existing in the first place increase the cost of maintenance), those discs are useless.

All digital still has a lot of issues though (As in, all the above), but at least it doesn't deceive you into thinking that you actually own what you purchase.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#19BrasenPosted 2/7/2013 10:23:53 AM
Perfect Light posted...
Sailor Goon posted...
Most customers DONT buy used, though.

So then what are the devs whining about? In reality, used games sales do not hurt the market, but the boo hoo publishers would have us believe otherwise so they can have an "excuse" to charge people for more.

You're telling me that EA raking in 1.36 BILLION in the final quarter of 2012 alone isn't enough? They expect us to believe they're hurting for money oh no boo hoo used games hurt us so much! EA is the biggest offender of this crap and it's time people realize they are full of ****.

Bingo. These corporations just dont want to compete or worry about risk. Heaven forbid something might actually "fail" or "not profit enough from demand" in a "free" "capitalist" society. It's a power grab because they can't be innovative enough to either open an electronic store or come up with a way to get money from your used games. Know why no one says anything about used cars? Because NEW dealerships deal in those too.

But to be honest I surely think Microsoft isn't this stupid to put in action of these things we are "hearing" about.
#20oasisbeyondPosted 2/7/2013 11:18:32 AM
If you need online to play the game... Then I might not buy a MS console ever. I go camping and stuff, so there's no online there... Anyways, these are just rumors to make people talk about the system and hype it. Bad advertising = good.