This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People cry over a possible used game block...

#1Thomas16371Posted 2/6/2013 6:15:27 PM
and then say, "If this happens, I'm jumping over to PC!"

which in turn has a similar system in place. While it is true, computer games allow you to install games on multiple systems, where is the last place that allowed you to purchase USED pc games? Any and all used pc game I've ever played was usually a hand-me-down..
---
Xbox Live: Thomas Nuffan
Founder of "Riot Shield" Enlist today: http://battlelog.medalofhonor.com/mohw/platoons/show/4503608217308499
#2OaklandRaiderzPosted 2/6/2013 6:17:26 PM
when people say "used" pc games they mean DOWNLOADING PC GAMES FOR FREE.
---
wat
#3Perfect LightPosted 2/6/2013 6:17:32 PM
Because Steam has crazy sales the consoles can/will never compete with. If I have to be locked out of used games, might as well do it on the platform with the cheapest prices.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#4SparkItUpPosted 2/6/2013 6:20:37 PM
Thomas16371 posted...
and then say, "If this happens, I'm jumping over to PC!"

which in turn has a similar system in place. While it is true, computer games allow you to install games on multiple systems, where is the last place that allowed you to purchase USED pc games? Any and all used pc game I've ever played was usually a hand-me-down..

Thing is...PC games are generally cheaper than consoles games and much cheaper to replace.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#5TrugamerPosted 2/6/2013 7:08:46 PM
There is no crying just people not wanting a product they just shelled out $60 plus tax for to instantly be worthless the second the shrink wrap is broken.
They only way it works is if they cut prices otherwise sales will totally collapse.

As far as PC goes , why pay more and get less from console games if they are both on the same no resale value playing field?
#6LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 2/6/2013 7:29:17 PM
Trugamer posted...
There is no crying just people not wanting a product they just shelled out $60 plus tax for to instantly be worthless the second the shrink wrap is broken.
They only way it works is if they cut prices otherwise sales will totally collapse.

As far as PC goes , why pay more and get less from console games if they are both on the same no resale value playing field?

The long term intention of a used game lockout is to effectively change console gaming from a "product" based business to a "service" business.

Previously, this was impossible as no matter how much small print companies had about "you don't 'own' the disc, you just own a license to its content" and similar lines, the disc, once sold, is out there. Anyone can play it on any compatible console.

Lock out used games, and what happens? Once the Xbox 720 or whatever it's called is done and its lifespan is up, they'll eventually cut XBL service to it. When that happens, any and all infrastructure that was in place to work with used games (license transfers or fee-based 'unlocking'), will forever be gone. All existing games that have been used will be on a timer, and when the console they're registered to dies, that copy will become worthless plastic.

Microsoft (or Sony, since they've talked about this too) now effectively control the lifespan of their console, and can bring it to an almost grinding halt whenever they desire. Once they pull the plug, it's basically a countdown to the complete death of that entire console generation and all of its games.

The only hope would be emulators or custom firmware that would be developed for the Xbox 720 to allow playing any game by bypassing the lockout system. I think it's a good bet it would happen, but it's far from a guaranteed thing, and it's difficult to say what limitations MS may include that would complicate such a procedure.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#7Foxx3kPosted 2/6/2013 7:37:44 PM
LancetJades posted...
Trugamer posted...

The long term intention of a used game lockout is to effectively change console gaming from a "product" based business to a "service" business.

Previously, this was impossible as no matter how much small print companies had about "you don't 'own' the disc, you just own a license to its content" and similar lines, the disc, once sold, is out there. Anyone can play it on any compatible console.

Lock out used games, and what happens? Once the Xbox 720 or whatever it's called is done and its lifespan is up, they'll eventually cut XBL service to it. When that happens, any and all infrastructure that was in place to work with used games (license transfers or fee-based 'unlocking'), will forever be gone. All existing games that have been used will be on a timer, and when the console they're registered to dies, that copy will become worthless plastic.

Microsoft (or Sony, since they've talked about this too) now effectively control the lifespan of their console, and can bring it to an almost grinding halt whenever they desire. Once they pull the plug, it's basically a countdown to the complete death of that entire console generation and all of its games.

The only hope would be emulators or custom firmware that would be developed for the Xbox 720 to allow playing any game by bypassing the lockout system. I think it's a good bet it would happen, but it's far from a guaranteed thing, and it's difficult to say what limitations MS may include that would complicate such a procedure.

I'm okay with that move.

I supported Steam on day one. I moved to digital music as soon as I could. And I frequently wish that I could have all my Xbox360 games on my harddrive, playable without a disc.

I haven't bought a used game since the N64 era. And although I have loaned games to friends, I accept that as an unfortunate trade off if it means that I could be closer to not fussing with physical media.

I accept that the theoretical doomsday scenario could happen, but I firmly believe that it will not. Could Microsoft go under and lose their ability to support games? Sure. Could they be bought out by a company that refuses to maintain that support? Sure. But, my theory, is that as long as gaming exists, the companies will not want to offend or alienate their users.

The only company I can see saying "tough luck, buy it all again" is Nintendo.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#8rusty12000Posted 2/6/2013 7:43:52 PM
Ya with steam sales their is really no need for used. during Christmas sales the THQ bundle was 24$ which came with 18 games. Bioshock 1 &2 for 10$, AC2 for 5$. Steam rocks!
---
http://openmedia.ca/meter -- Put a stop to Big internet companies trying to put a cap on bandwidth in Canada!!!!
#9Rimsa_LadedPosted 2/6/2013 8:07:39 PM
Ebgames here still sells used PC games
---
"Bunnies have big buns. Even a drill to the ass can't stop her!"
#10The DevourerPosted 2/6/2013 8:14:59 PM
PC games are mostly digital distribution anyway for the most part. Console games are hardly that. Everyone knows you can't trade in or sell a digital game really (for the most part).

They're also cheaper typically by about 17% as well as constantly going on sale and being able to get deals on them. Something you do not see replicated on consoles outside of like... Black Friday.

Steam has killer sales typically twice a week, plus really good deals on the daily deals ranging from indie games all the way up to things like 50% off Skyrim. Couple this with the fact that they have essentially semi-annual sales that rival Black Friday, for a week or two block each. On top of any sort of "publisher week" deals they have or anything of the sort. It's a HELL of a lot cheaper to get PC games so you don't spend nearly as much if you're patient.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7