This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People cry over a possible used game block...

#11Foxx3kPosted 2/6/2013 7:20:46 PM
The Devourer posted...
PC games are mostly digital distribution anyway for the most part. Console games are hardly that. Everyone knows you can't trade in or sell a digital game really (for the most part).

They're also cheaper typically by about 17% as well as constantly going on sale and being able to get deals on them. Something you do not see replicated on consoles outside of like... Black Friday.

Steam has killer sales typically twice a week, plus really good deals on the daily deals ranging from indie games all the way up to things like 50% off Skyrim. Couple this with the fact that they have essentially semi-annual sales that rival Black Friday, for a week or two block each. On top of any sort of "publisher week" deals they have or anything of the sort. It's a HELL of a lot cheaper to get PC games so you don't spend nearly as much if you're patient.

Plus, steam offers a 10-20% discount for preordering games. Something that I would be *mucho* in favor of on consoles.

I think I heard that PS3 began doing this with its digital marketplace? I'm not sure though.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#12The DevourerPosted 2/6/2013 7:23:53 PM
Foxx3k posted...
The Devourer posted...
PC games are mostly digital distribution anyway for the most part. Console games are hardly that. Everyone knows you can't trade in or sell a digital game really (for the most part).

They're also cheaper typically by about 17% as well as constantly going on sale and being able to get deals on them. Something you do not see replicated on consoles outside of like... Black Friday.

Steam has killer sales typically twice a week, plus really good deals on the daily deals ranging from indie games all the way up to things like 50% off Skyrim. Couple this with the fact that they have essentially semi-annual sales that rival Black Friday, for a week or two block each. On top of any sort of "publisher week" deals they have or anything of the sort. It's a HELL of a lot cheaper to get PC games so you don't spend nearly as much if you're patient.

Plus, steam offers a 10-20% discount for preordering games. Something that I would be *mucho* in favor of on consoles.

I think I heard that PS3 began doing this with its digital marketplace? I'm not sure though.

Green Man Gaming rivals Steam, often bettering them. You can preorder Aliens from them for 25% off right now. They often have sales EQUAL to Steam, if not BETTER. On top of that they often have vouchers which will further increase your discounts. Totally legit too. I got Borderlands 2 season pass from them for 10.19 or something like that when Steam wouldn't even put it on sale (I think when they did it was 33% off to 20$).

There is some seriously good competition to get your money on game deals for PC.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#13squeeb1985Posted 2/6/2013 8:09:03 PM
The Devourer posted...
Green Man Gaming rivals Steam, often bettering them. You can preorder Aliens from them for 25% off right now. They often have sales EQUAL to Steam, if not BETTER. On top of that they often have vouchers which will further increase your discounts. Totally legit too. I got Borderlands 2 season pass from them for 10.19 or something like that when Steam wouldn't even put it on sale (I think when they did it was 33% off to 20$).

There is some seriously good competition to get your money on game deals for PC.

Amazon can also frequently beat Steam in sales. Last week they had Deadlight and Mark of the Ninja for $3.75 each while the lowest they've ever been on Steam was $7.50. GMG is really good for new releases though since they almost always have some 20% off anything deal going on. I preordered BL2 from them for $38.

Also, GamersGate had some fantastic pricing errors around Christmas. Ended up getting 4 copies of BL2, Dishonored, Skyrim, Oblivion GOTY, FO3 GOTY, FO:NV Ultimate, Doom 3 BFG, and Rage for a total of $27. Steam also had a price error on Sleeping Dogs shortly afterwards ($4.50). I love pricing errors on PC since the server has to honor the price and they usually don't force a refund.
---
GT: Beastwood5
#14RE2LeonSPosted 2/6/2013 8:52:27 PM
Thomas16371 posted...
and then say, "If this happens, I'm jumping over to PC!"

which in turn has a similar system in place. While it is true, computer games allow you to install games on multiple systems, where is the last place that allowed you to purchase USED pc games? Any and all used pc game I've ever played was usually a hand-me-down..

....yet Steam offers insane deals like 75% off games. PC games already get an automatic $10 as opposed to retail games. The day Microsoft can offer the same deals as Steam does will be the day I support 'no used games'
---
My views on DLC, if it takes longer for me to work to pay for it than actually play it, it's not worth it. Don't buy Capcom games! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#15lol_Internets1Posted 2/6/2013 9:00:06 PM
I still buy PC games at garage sales all the time. The only exception to this is anything locked to Origin but even that can be bypassed if you just google something hard enough lol.
---
"The Delorean is a lot like modern Lotuses: It would probably be good, if they didn't feel the need to source budget engines from Toyota."- dark_minun
#16The DevourerPosted 2/6/2013 9:03:49 PM
squeeb1985 posted...
The Devourer posted...

Amazon can also frequently beat Steam in sales. Last week they had Deadlight and Mark of the Ninja for $3.75 each while the lowest they've ever been on Steam was $7.50. GMG is really good for new releases though since they almost always have some 20% off anything deal going on. I preordered BL2 from them for $38.

Also, GamersGate had some fantastic pricing errors around Christmas. Ended up getting 4 copies of BL2, Dishonored, Skyrim, Oblivion GOTY, FO3 GOTY, FO:NV Ultimate, Doom 3 BFG, and Rage for a total of $27. Steam also had a price error on Sleeping Dogs shortly afterwards ($4.50). I love pricing errors on PC since the server has to honor the price and they usually don't force a refund.

Yeah I forgot about Amazon when I posted about GMG as well. Amazon usually straight up matches Steam prices too which is ****ing fantastic. I also got the same deal on BL2 for preorder. 10$ season pass as well, you can't beat this stuff.

With so much competition in pricing of digital distribution of PC games it's so funny when people point out that it's the same thing as supporting no used games. Only our games rarely cost 60$ really with all the deals we can get... and there's FAR more sales than console counterparts and usually BETTER sales.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#17SquareSidePosted 2/6/2013 10:07:13 PM
The always online is more of a concern to me.
---
PSN XBL n'' - SquareSide
True 3DS Ambassador. Not a scrub who came in late and saved a buck.
#18scoobydoobydontPosted 2/6/2013 10:11:39 PM
PC, lol.... if I had to choose between PC or no games at all, let's say because I lost my internet for some reason, I'd just stop gaming. Cure is worse than the disease.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.