This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The always online/no used games thing actually makes sense.

#1RetroFanGirlPosted 2/6/2013 9:33:54 PM
Sure, not everyone has their 360 hooked up online, but honestly, Live is what made Microsoft money, I doubt they really care about the predicament this puts people without a reliable internet connection in. You're fooling yourself if you think the people who pay for Live, what should be a free service, actually care about saving $5 on whatever new Halo or CoD they're looking forward to either.
---
Hi.
#2The DevourerPosted 2/6/2013 9:37:39 PM
Maybe they don't care but I'm sure developers and publishers would. Gamers would. If I have to be online all the time or not be able to buy used games I can assure you I'm either waiting until the system/games are dirt cheap or I'm not getting it. And I'm not the only one. And Microsoft doesn't just do consoles and XBL, they also publish games. Good luck making money on that when you cut out 40% or more of your possible revenue pool.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#3lol_Internets1Posted 2/6/2013 9:39:32 PM(edited)
RetroFanGirl, That made no sense at all.

Not everybody has their console online
Not everybody buys games new

Hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, will be alienated. It's commercial suicide plain and simple.
---
"The Delorean is a lot like modern Lotuses: It would probably be good, if they didn't feel the need to source budget engines from Toyota."- dark_minun
#4RetroFanGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 9:42:14 PM(edited)
Yeah, always online would kill it for me too and I'm almost always connected. I still don't think it is unrealistic though, MS will probably push Live even harder next gen. I wonder if they might even have a subsidized plan for it as well.

Why should they care about alienating a group of people who don't make them money? The console will likely be sold at a loss for the first few years, so not buying their games or using their Live service on top of that is basically denying them any profit.
---
Hi.
#5scythecamPosted 2/6/2013 9:48:09 PM
If the used game market disappears, the industry disappears. If publishers were really against used games they wouldnt do business with companies that sell them.

What publishers really want is to make as much money as possible with as little effort as possible.

No one has explained to me why publishers continue to sell games and give pre-order incentives to gamestop and best buy and amazon while they are " stealing money" with used game sales.

If someone was stealing from you, would you continue to do business with them?
---
One-and-Donecos
#6RetroFanGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 9:51:03 PM
There is still Nintendo and maybe Sony though, used game sales won't die.

Hopefully Microsoft doesn't go through with it, like the original Xbox, I plan on getting 360 after it dies, buying up the games I wanted used and building a decent library. I'd hate for the next Xbox to make this impossible for me.
---
Hi.
#7ExtraspectrePosted 2/6/2013 9:53:33 PM
Not touching ANY console that comes with such atrocious DRM.

Period.
---
Gamefaqs: The most passive aggressive place on the internet.
#8lol_Internets1Posted 2/6/2013 9:56:21 PM
Word of mouth and bad press. It all starts in the schoolyard. Lets say a kid gets a new game and his friends want to borrow it to try it out. Well they're **** out of luck. How about the kids really want the game but their parents won't get it for them. So he/she saves their allowance only to find that instead of $50 for a recent used game, they are forced to pay the extra $10 for a new copy. Now $10 doesn't sound like a lot but to a kid on an allowance who makes impulse purchases, it's a huge loss. Pepople would say "big whoop, the kid wouldn't have bought the game new anyway so nobody would have made money". Well you can't buy live used so they would still like to play with their friends but since he/she wouldn't have a game to play online with, there would be very little point to even purchase live. Because of word of mouth around the schoolyard, you probably just lost a good portion of kids who would have otherwise bought an Xbox. Also developers wouldn't want to publish on an overlooked and bad mouthed console no matter how impressive the specs might be. Just look what happened to the Dreamcast. It was arguably more powerful than the PS2 and had some great games but because the media only focused on the negatives like lack of a DVD drive and ease of piracy, very few people bought them and in turn nobody wanted anything to do with a doomed console.
---
"The Delorean is a lot like modern Lotuses: It would probably be good, if they didn't feel the need to source budget engines from Toyota."- dark_minun
#9staticxtreme5Posted 2/6/2013 10:05:31 PM
If both the PS4 and Xbox 720 won't play used games then it'll be fine with me. If only 1 or the other does, I have a feeling that it will flop. I personally don't care if you have to have internet either, so long as it doesn't freak out if you lose connection for a day or two. Internet outages happen. I do think that if they went that road it should be a check in thing where every so many days you have to connect to live, like every two weeks, or month or so.
#10RetroFanGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:08:53 PM
lol_Internets1 posted...
Word of mouth and bad press. It all starts in the schoolyard. Lets say a kid gets a new game and his friends want to borrow it to try it out. Well they're **** out of luck. How about the kids really want the game but their parents won't get it for them. So he/she saves their allowance only to find that instead of $50 for a recent used game, they are forced to pay the extra $10 for a new copy. Now $10 doesn't sound like a lot but to a kid on an allowance who makes impulse purchases, it's a huge loss. Pepople would say "big whoop, the kid wouldn't have bought the game new anyway so nobody would have made money". Well you can't buy live used so they would still like to play with their friends but since he/she wouldn't have a game to play online with, there would be very little point to even purchase live. Because of word of mouth around the schoolyard, you probably just lost a good portion of kids who would have otherwise bought an Xbox. Also developers wouldn't want to publish on an overlooked and bad mouthed console no matter how impressive the specs might be. Just look what happened to the Dreamcast. It was arguably more powerful than the PS2 and had some great games but because the media only focused on the negatives like lack of a DVD drive and ease of piracy, very few people bought them and in turn nobody wanted anything to do with a doomed console.

I don't think the rampant RRoD or YLOD hurt MS or Sony very much, consumers seem much more eager to be ripped off these days.
---
Hi.