This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The always online/no used games thing actually makes sense.

#11The DevourerPosted 2/6/2013 10:15:18 PM
RROD got supplemented by an extended warranty period for that problem alone because it was so widespread. Good customer service move there. I don't know how widespread YLOD was or what Sony did because of it.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#12deimos91Posted 2/6/2013 10:22:07 PM
RetroFanGirl posted...
There is still Nintendo and maybe Sony though, used game sales won't die.

Hopefully Microsoft doesn't go through with it, like the original Xbox, I plan on getting 360 after it dies, buying up the games I wanted used and building a decent library. I'd hate for the next Xbox to make this impossible for me.

exactly 3 next gen systems support used games so far
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#13RetroFanGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:36:55 PM
The Devourer posted...
RROD got supplemented by an extended warranty period for that problem alone because it was so widespread. Good customer service move there. I don't know how widespread YLOD was or what Sony did because of it.

I believe YLOD basically plagued early fatty model PS3s. Not as wide spread, but was known. MS handled the RRoD surprisingly well though, they're really not all that bad for the most part.
---
Hi.
#14The DevourerPosted 2/6/2013 10:40:26 PM
RetroFanGirl posted...
The Devourer posted...

I believe YLOD basically plagued early fatty model PS3s. Not as wide spread, but was known. MS handled the RRoD surprisingly well though, they're really not all that bad for the most part.

My big thing is electronics have problems. It's part of the territory. Customer service is the big thing. If it's a widespread issue just take care of it, make sure you do something (like MS did) and take care of it the best you can. I care way more about how they handle problems than if they have absolutely none. If it's a constant plague of issues then it's a different story but that's not often the case except when you're looking at shoddy equipment basically.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#15Halo_ForeverPosted 2/7/2013 12:03:08 AM
RetroFanGirl posted...
Sure, not everyone has their 360 hooked up online, but honestly, Live is what made Microsoft money, I doubt they really care about the predicament this puts people without a reliable internet connection in. You're fooling yourself if you think the people who pay for Live, what should be a free service, actually care about saving $5 on whatever new Halo or CoD they're looking forward to either.

Game royalties make Microsoft money. Diminishing your customer base with 33% means that you also miss out a huge amount of game sales and that will hurt their bottom line.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#16Halo_ForeverPosted 2/7/2013 12:05:37 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
If both the PS4 and Xbox 720 won't play used games then it'll be fine with me. If only 1 or the other does, I have a feeling that it will flop. I personally don't care if you have to have internet either, so long as it doesn't freak out if you lose connection for a day or two. Internet outages happen. I do think that if they went that road it should be a check in thing where every so many days you have to connect to live, like every two weeks, or month or so.

Always online means that if your internet goes out for even five seconds, your game is interrupted and your console stops working.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#17NavexPosted 2/7/2013 12:06:54 AM
What publishers really want is to make as much money as possible with as little effort as possible.
Bingo. They kinda are doing that with games released these days anyway. Either it's releasing half a game with the rest as "DLC" or it's just a half-assed game all-around because the devs got cheap on it.
---
The Jess Margera Rock Radio Show
7PM-8PM EST every Wednesday night on PoochFM.com
#18scoobydoobydontPosted 2/7/2013 12:11:58 AM
I agree with Retro... the customers that are most profitable for both MS and 3rd parties are the sort who shell out for Live and are always connected. It makes perfect sense. No, it doesn't serve all their fans, but it covers the whales. You know, like the whales that f2p games try to reel in? Those folks, but from the more traditional gamer community. The ones who thoughtlessly buy the latest map packs every time. They don't care about used, if they buy used its by pure happenstance because the employee at GS pushed it. MS could be betting the house on those guys to be profitable enough to forsake the rest of you.

I think that made sense, I'm getting sleepy...
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#19randomweirdoPosted 2/7/2013 12:29:54 AM(edited)
RetroFanGirl posted...
The Devourer posted...

Also don't forget that the first run of PS2s nearly all ended up with disc reading issues. And what did Sony do for those customers? Jack and squat.

Only other device that handled a known issue well was Nintendo with the first run of Game Boys. Those had LCD monitors that eventually developed lines in them and made games unplayable. Not only did Nintendo provide free replacements of the LCD, but said free replacements could be done with a local shop so you had your GB back in a day. Wasn't even a need to register the device or anything. I just took mine to a shop, they knew what the issue was, fixed it and I had it back the next day and paid nothing.
#20Banana_ManaPosted 2/7/2013 1:41:56 AM
lol_Internets1 posted...
RetroFanGirl, That made no sense at all.

Not everybody has their console online
Not everybody buys games new

Hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, will be alienated. It's commercial suicide plain and simple.

I feel like this is a gross exaggeration.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?