This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't Microsoft or Sony open up their own used game stores?

#41Hercular1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:49:45 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
KillaBeAt posted...
It's about shutting down an industry that siphons a constantly increasing percentage of revenue of the sales out of the people who produce games and give nothing back to industry. You don't need to be an economist to see how this is bad for the industry. If its a drop in the bucket? 1%, 5%, 10%, maybe it's not a big deal, but even an industry as big as the video game industry has a breaking point.

That's nice and all, but even if you were to remove GS from the equation, they would still complain about used sales - it's the day and age we are in, they would be saying "the consumer" as opposed to GS, that's the only difference..so let them cry; if they decide to try and eliminate used sales completely, they will tank because consumers will revolt. It's that simple.

It's not that they are complaining about used sales, it's that they aren't making anything from second hand games and are complaining about that. They need to re-think this through as a business, and not as a child saying, "it's not fair!"

Obviously there is a huge market for used games, so why haven't they taken advantage of that like Gamestop has, instead of just complaining about it.
#42KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 11:00:02 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
KillaBeAt posted...
It's about shutting down an industry that siphons a constantly increasing percentage of revenue of the sales out of the people who produce games and give nothing back to industry. You don't need to be an economist to see how this is bad for the industry. If its a drop in the bucket? 1%, 5%, 10%, maybe it's not a big deal, but even an industry as big as the video game industry has a breaking point.

That's nice and all, but even if you were to remove GS from the equation, they would still complain about used sales - it's the day and age we are in, they would be saying "the consumer" as opposed to GS, that's the only difference..so let them cry; if they decide to try and eliminate used sales completely, they will tank because consumers will revolt. It's that simple.

Based on what? I know it's incredibly popular now to think that every single company on the planet cares about nothing but increasing profit margins and take no pride n being a leader in industry, but what makes you think Microsoft would, or even could if they wanted to, ban, outright, the sale of used games?

You're right n that consumers have a breaking point. And Microsoft knows that a hell of a lot better than you do. Are they going to make a console connected to the Internet at all times and eliminate a MASSIVE portion of their user base n order to combat used game sales that they can actually profit from? Are they going to start kicking down the doors of sellers on eBay, tarnishing their entire company image ( an image which is VERY different. The real world than it is n these boards ).

Gamers love picturing these companies like they're Dick Dastardly, twiddling their mustache and thinking about how they can squeeze a few more pennies from the peasants, but in reality that's not how most companies operate. Microsoft is still n the business of keeping its customers happy. It can't bend over backwards and let its customers walk all over it ( which is what some people here think it sold do ) it is, after all, still a business. It's not like a bank, or an oil company or an insurance firm, Microsoft and the Xbox brand only keep making money so long as its customers are happy
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#43_OujiDoza_Posted 2/7/2013 12:05:55 PM(edited)
KillaBeAt posted...
Based on what? I know it's incredibly popular now to think that every single company on the planet cares about nothing but increasing profit margins and take no pride n being a leader in industry, but what makes you think Microsoft would, or even could if they wanted to, ban, outright, the sale of used games?

I never said they could, or would, dude. That is the buzz going around and I was simply commenting on it, is that so wrong? Jesus ****ing Christ. It's all rumor & speculation and I'm just tossing around ideas and possibilities just like everyone else.

KillaBeAt posted...
You're right n that consumers have a breaking point. And Microsoft knows that a hell of a lot better than you do.

Wonderful, thanks for reminding me.

KillaBeAt posted...
Gamers love picturing these companies like they're Dick Dastardly, twiddling their mustache and thinking about how they can squeeze a few more pennies from the peasants, but in reality that's not how most companies operate.

They aren't some patron saint that is looking to save the world either, see? You can make an extreme comment, so can I. You seem to think gamers all act that way, and you are wrong - aren't you a gamer? Did you somehow break the mold? What you think is a sensible way of thought other may call ridiculous, just as you do to them. everybody has a different point of view on this, and just because people don't like the idea of having to pay a certain amount for video games doesn't make them spoiled children - if that's how you look at it then you are just as closed-minded as they are.
#44oasisbeyondPosted 2/7/2013 12:27:36 PM
I don't think Sony or MS would like to be associated with anything "Used" tc...
#45KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 12:55:38 PM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
KillaBeAt posted...

I never said they could, or would, dude. That is the buzz going around and I was simply commenting on it, is that so wrong? Jesus ****ing Christ. It's all rumor & speculation and I'm just tossing around ideas and possibilities just like everyone else.

KillaBeAt posted...
You're right n that consumers have a breaking point. And Microsoft knows that a hell of a lot better than you do.

Wonderful, thanks for reminding me.

KillaBeAt posted...
Gamers love picturing these companies like they're Dick Dastardly, twiddling their mustache and thinking about how they can squeeze a few more pennies from the peasants, but in reality that's not how most companies operate.

They aren't some patron saint that is looking to save the world either, see? You can make an extreme comment, so can I. You seem to think gamers all act that way, and you are wrong - aren't you a gamer? Did you somehow break the mold? What you think is a sensible way of thought other may call ridiculous, just as you do to them. everybody has a different point of view on this, and just because people don't like the idea of having to pay a certain amount for video games doesn't make them spoiled children - if that's how you look at it then you are just as closed-minded as they are.

No. they aren't patron saints either. They are a business, but there business is still based on keeping their customers happy. You seem really angry about me using hyperbole (I'm not totally sure why since hyperbole is a great illustrative point). I'm not trying to insinuate that video-game developers aren't a business being run for profit, but they have to follow the rules of the entertainment industry just like everyone else, and one of those rules is that YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR CUSTOMERS HAPPY.

I don't think that all gamers all act a certain way, and I have no idea where you came up with that notion. It has nothing to do with gamers being spoiled children (which I never said), I bare no animosity towards gamers who want to buy used games (which I said repeatedly). It's their choice to do what they want.

I was just trying to make the point that Microsoft has to answer to us, as customers, (a point which YOU yourself made) and isn't going to do anything to piss us all off just because. The benefits of banning all used games an dmaking life incredibly hard for your customers simply don't match the problems associated. You're the one who went all Jerry Springer on this argument making wild accusations about how I think all gamers are spoiled children and acting like I was trying to make Microsoft look like a charity.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#46WinternovaPosted 2/7/2013 1:02:52 PM
Hercular1 posted...
_OujiDoza_ posted...
KillaBeAt posted...

It's not that they are complaining about used sales, it's that they aren't making anything from second hand games and are complaining about that. They need to re-think this through as a business, and not as a child saying, "it's not fair!"

Obviously there is a huge market for used games, so why haven't they taken advantage of that like Gamestop has, instead of just complaining about it.

Because it's not feasible for each publisher to set up shops to buy back only their own games.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#47KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 1:15:07 PM
This ENTIRE argument we are in right now is based on the fact that Microsoft not only COULD but WOULD screw their customers over in exactly this manner, and they would do it why? Because "it's the day and age we live in" companies are just out to get the most right? Just let them cry.

That's nice and all, but even if you were to remove GS from the equation, they would still complain about used sales - it's the day and age we are in, they would be saying "the consumer" as opposed to GS, that's the only difference..so let them cry

Then of course, i replied with this little bit of hyperbole

Based on what? I know it's incredibly popular now to think that every single company on the planet cares about nothing but increasing profit margins and take no pride n being a leader in industry, but what makes you think Microsoft would, or even could if they wanted to, ban, outright, the sale of used games?.... Gamers love picturing these companies like they're Dick Dastardly, twiddling their mustache and thinking about how they can squeeze a few more pennies from the peasants (A point which you strongly insinuated in the post that this is a reply to)...Microsoft is still n the business of keeping its customers happy.

Which, I might add, is a PERFECTLY level headed response to your post about how "The times we live in" are such that Microsoft wouldn't stop at just GameStop but would just keep on trying to screw the consumer (which, they probably couldn't do legally). And then, in a totally unsurprising move, you went on the offensive to try and come back from some insult that I never levelled at you, or gamers in general by taking my OBVIOUSLY hyperbolic post literally and as a great insult to the personal honor of gamers. Including several insults leveled directly at me.

It seems that you and I are trying to make the exact same point here. Developers are still culpable to their customers. If they don't make good games that keep their customers happy, then they are going to go out of business.

The difference is, that while I backed up my posts with things like "logic" and "reasoning" (like, why would Microsoft alienate and infuriate a HUGE portion of it's core customer base in order to prevent something that they could, themselves, make profit off of) you took immediate offense to this and started hurling childish insults around and putting arguments into my mouth that you could prove wrong, and that I never made in the first place.

When I posted a perfectly reasonable rebuttal to the argument that "Microsoft would screw it's customers after it was done with GS" you couldn't think of a way to rebuke my point, so you INVENTED an argument I never made and rebuked that instead.
---
#48_OujiDoza_Posted 2/7/2013 1:29:33 PM
KillaBeAt posted...
You're the one who went all Jerry Springer on this argument making wild accusations about how I think all gamers are spoiled children and acting like I was trying to make Microsoft look like a charity.

It's because I'm not good at following hyperbole >_>
#49KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 1:31:25 PM
That's fair enough. It's hard to get subtext on the internet I guess o.O
---
#50_OujiDoza_Posted 2/7/2013 1:39:13 PM(edited)
I'll put it this way: I tend to speak on behalff of the common man, not so much the more educated one -_-