This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game devs need to get over themselves when it comes to used games

#1Perfect LightPosted 2/7/2013 7:50:44 AM
There's a reason we can all resell games, books, DVDs, Blu Rays, cars and even houses. Yes, houses. Do you think people reselling a house go find the house builders and give them a cut? Are they going to start locking the bathroom door each time a house gets resold and only unlock it if I pay them 50 bucks for a "bathroom pass?"

It's called the first-sale doctrine, also known as the right of first sale. It's a very important law that is one of the traditional safety valves (others being Fair Use and the public domain) and one of the most important in a free economy. It protects the rights of consumers to distribute items they own as they see fit. After the first sale of a product, the copyright holder cannot control distribution of that specific instance of the product. They have given their right away after the first time it was sold.

Game developers are not special. They are just like everyone else who sells something and then has to deal with the used market. It happens to authors, filmmakers, TV show producers and actors. They are just the loudest complainers and finding new ways to circumvent the law without actually breaking it.

Any company that blocks used games will be committing financial suicide. People cite the PC as not having used games while still doing fine. The reason PC can get away with that is because most people use Steam, which does their crazy sales on a daily basis. You can find dozens of games for a few dollars even when they're only a few years old, much lower than you can for any console.

Bottom line: it's not going to happen. Microsoft and Sony aren't that stupid. And people whining about developers not seeing profit from used game sales, get over it. They're no more special than anything else in the world.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 2/7/2013 7:54:19 AM
You wrote too much. I also think you meant publishers as they are ones trying to instill that sob story on us.

Also, the games industry isn't big enough audience wise. And I don't mean FarmVille folks. The ones who really make exciting experiences and don't just copy others (Rocksteady, Kojima Productions, Eidos Montreal, etc.) don't make back enough whereas the next military shooter will make far more.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#3pothocketPosted 2/7/2013 7:59:57 AM
Our hobby needs used games to survive. It's a form of market correction because, let's face it, most games are not worth $60.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4DarkSymbiotePosted 2/7/2013 8:01:58 AM
pothocket posted...
Our hobby needs used games to survive. It's a form of market correction because, let's face it, most games are not worth $60.

Mostly true. But some games are. Although, those only come out once or twice a year.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#5SheepinatorPosted 2/7/2013 8:05:59 AM
inb4otherproductsblahblah

Movies: they get most of the revenue from the first cinema runs and have a great shot of being profitable before a single copy is on the shelf. Plus they have other revenue streams like PPV, cable, airlines, etc.

Cars: used cars are not the same as new. They have wear and tear, they have higher chance of serious problem that you'll be left to deal with. Games are a digital product on a disc, there is no distinction between used and new.

GameStop: the #1 seller of games makes it their MO to push used games every chance they get because it's more profitable for them. Last year they made several times as much profit selling used games as EA, Take Two (Rockstar and 2K) and THQ combined did with new games, and without all that risk. All that cash gamers give them is going to GameStop execs, not for re-investment in future games. All the things gamers complain about (DLC, micro-transactions, online passes) are a direct result of their profits being squeezed by the #1 retailer.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#6DonomegaPosted 2/7/2013 8:11:07 AM
People have been selling used items for a long time, used cars, used houses, used clothes, I bet some developers have used girlfriends.

Buying/selling used goods isn't new, I am sure no one would cry if I sold my house or car, but if I sell a game that sucked, cause why else would I?, then someone claims its bad, and blames me for getting laid off
---
Intell 8088 @ 7.14Mhz | 640K RAM | TCGA 16 Color graphics | TWO 5.25" 640K Floppy drives | 10MB Hard disk
3DS FC: 0903-4184-6816
#7MUD VIPERPosted 2/7/2013 8:16:12 AM
GameStop: the #1 seller of games makes it their MO to push used games every chance they get because it's more profitable for them. Last year they made several times as much profit selling used games as EA, Take Two (Rockstar and 2K) and THQ combined did with new games, and without all that risk. All that cash gamers give them is going to GameStop execs, not for re-investment in future games. All the things gamers complain about (DLC, micro-transactions, online passes) are a direct result of their profits being squeezed by the #1 retailer.

The publishers profit is made when they fill the orders to a gamestop, blockbuster, etc. No matter how you try to spin it nothing makes them any more special than any other business that they should receive any profit from the secondhand market.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you too can become a game tester.
#8Perfect Light(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 8:17:34 AM
Sheepinator posted...

The solution is to make your game good enough so that people will buy it new. Don't just pump out some glitchy mess of a game with a terrible story and crappy gameplay, slap a multiplayer mode into it and expect it to make a lot of money. Put some thought and care into your games and your hard work will pay off. A lot of devs expect to be able to half-ass everything and still make money.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#9pothocketPosted 2/7/2013 8:20:38 AM
If publishers have such a problem with gamestop than maybe they should stop doing promotions to help their business, stuff like pre-order bonuses.

"ARGH that dang gamestop. Let's give them exclusive content and give people a reason to do business with them!"
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#10Viet0nePosted 2/7/2013 8:27:20 AM
The company that incorporates a deterrent to used sales is going to get more support from publishers than the company that doesn't. If Sony's console comes with a built in function that makes it easy to disable parts of a game or the game entirely from a used sale and Microsoft doesn't, publishers will be more likely to release it on Sony's console than Microsoft's.

Your choices would either be Sony's console or no game at all.

This is where I see the used game blocking feature being used.

Buy a used game, you get no patches. No updates means you get the game in the same condition as it was purchased from the first sale but nothing more. Without updates, you have to deal with the existing defects like bugs. Without patches you can't use DLC, you can't play online, etc.

Therefore, if you buy a used game, you get a used product that only works as is. You don't get a product that get's updates and that would be totally fair. You don't pay into the source of updates, you shouldn't get any.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne