This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game devs need to get over themselves when it comes to used games

#141otisanimePosted 2/8/2013 5:46:49 AM
Sheepinator posted...
gjc2007 posted...
If publishers have such a problem with gamestop than maybe they should stop doing promotions to help their business, stuff like pre-order bonuses.

Just one reason among dozens for why I will never have the slightest bit of sympathy towards a publisher complaining about used gamers.

And those reasons don't even include the simple common sense reason: No industry has EVER been hurt by second hand markets.

Err, you don't realize that pre-order bonuses are to incentivize NEW buyers?

Btw, what are all these industries where the top retailer in that segment is also the top used seller, and where the used items are identical to the new items (other than the packaging)?

Gamestop is not the top retailer for games :x

Walmart is :x

Gamestop might be the top GAME SPECIFIC retailer, though. But it sure as hell isn't selling more games than Walmart and other stores of their ilk.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#142AlexFiliPosted 2/8/2013 6:36:30 AM
Most of my games during the past 10 years have been used ones. While I respect companies enough to buy certain games full price (Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3), it's because I've paid a small amount for the previous games and have therefore gotten emotionally invested before committing to a major purchase.

Buying full price games is always a bit risky, so I usually wait for the reviews to come in first. I don't agree with disabling used games and I definitely don't agree with these 'online pass' systems which are complete baloney.

Unless they have sales, like Steam does they will most likely suffer for it.
---
Intel Core 2 Duo 6320 (1.86Ghz), 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon 5450 HD
http://legendarysuperwarriors.tumblr.com/
#143JKSonicPosted 2/8/2013 6:43:49 AM
Developers (and publishers too in a way) have gotten EXTREMELY lazy and EXTREMELY greedy and they are trying to blame US about used game sales. That is what is happening, people can try to deny it but that is what is going on. If a game seems worth it to me I usually support it either at launch or new at some point. But if it's hard to find or is a game I wasn't sure about I'll get it used. I've been doing this since the SUPER FREAKING NINTENDO and could have been since the NES or 2600 if I was old enough. It is not even a remotely new thing in gaming. It's a part of our culture and always has been. You mess with something like that you're risking another crash...or success for Nintendo and the Wii U or Steambox, lol.

Cars: used cars are not the same as new. They have wear and tear, they have higher chance of serious problem that you'll be left to deal with. Games are a digital product on a disc, there is no distinction between used and new.

Just had to reply to that from the first page too... Used games don't have wear and tear? Really? There's not a greater chance of them skipping or having the middle crack? Really...really now?
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#144SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 7:25:19 AM
otisanime posted...
Gamestop is not the top retailer for games :x

Walmart is :x

Gamestop might be the top GAME SPECIFIC retailer, though. But it sure as hell isn't selling more games than Walmart and other stores of their ilk.

I think EA is the biggest seller of packaged games. They say:

Our direct sales to GameStop Corp. represented approximately 15 percent, 16 percent and 16 percent of total net revenue in fiscal years 2012, 2011 and 2010, respectively. Our direct sales to Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. represented approximately 10 percent and 12 percent of total net revenue in fiscal years 2011 and 2010, respectively. Our direct sales to Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. did not exceed 10 percent of net revenue for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012.

Take Two says:

Sales to our five largest customers during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012 accounted for approximately 43.9% of our net revenue, with GameStop and Wal-Mart accounting for 19.0% and 10.7%, respectively. No other customer accounted for more than 10.0% of our net revenue during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#145SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 7:29:10 AM
JKSonic posted...
Developers (and publishers too in a way) have gotten EXTREMELY lazy and EXTREMELY greedy

Bigger and more polished games for same price = EXTREMELY lazy and greedy. Not just lazy and greedy, but EXTREMELY. Uh huh.

Used games don't have wear and tear? Really? There's not a greater chance of them skipping or having the middle crack? Really...really now?

Every one of my games was bought new. They are currently "used". All are in great condition. The biggest seller of used games lets you inspect before purchase and gives a 7-day full return no questions asked policy.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#146JKSonicPosted 2/8/2013 7:42:12 AM
Bigger and more polished games for same price = EXTREMELY lazy and greedy. Not just lazy and greedy, but EXTREMELY. Uh huh.

Yup, CoD has been using the same engine (yes it's been "modified", so what) all gen...and that engine was even really just a super-heavily modified engine from LAST gen on PC. Then you have companies that will literally change a game's genre to get more sales, completely alienating the games original/core fanbase. You have companies that instead of adding new features each year maintains this odd balance by removing them as well...only to reinstate them years later as "new" again. There's even companies out there charging real money for cheat codes in games. I would say all of that earns the all-caps EXTREMELY... Sure some games are bigger and more polished but we're also living in an era where almost every single game that is release is then later patched, so...

Every one of my games was bought new. They are currently "used". All are in great condition. The biggest seller of used games lets you inspect before purchase and gives a 7-day full return no questions asked policy.

And if you play your cards right and actually go about it correctly your ass will be covered if you're trying to buy a new house or car too (and yes I've purchased both, several times (and sold) for cars). You inspect them before purchase and if you do it correctly you can hold those who inspected it accountable if something turns out to be wrong. So what's your point? If you cover yourself in almost any situation you can prevent getting screwed. Doesn't change the fact that discs get more brittle as time goes on and a game you buy could be two pops out of the case from cracking and you'd never know.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."