This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MS now enters the "dreaded third console curse....

#1private400Posted 2/7/2013 10:04:12 AM
for those who do not know of it:

the third console curse is a strange phenomenon that has hit every console

The curse is that every company that makes game console's and gets to their third generation ,that generation seems fated to faillure.

these where the last console' makers who fell to the curse:

Nintendo released the NES, worked hard to make it something consumers wanted. They released SNES, did the same. Then their 3rd iteration they waited too long, rejected discs, and alienated 3rd parties. The N64 gave up a ton of market share to Sony's PS1 as a result.

Sega released the Master System as a distant also ran to the NES, worked hard and built the Genesis into a legitimate contender, but started to frankenstein it a little at the end. Then come their 3rd iteration they put out the convoluted ass Saturn. The solid Dreamcast wasn't enough to right the ship at that point.

Sony gave everyone what they wanted with the PS1. Then they put out a highly competitive, well marketed, well hyped system with the PS2 that everyone jumped on board with. They, like their predecessors, got out over their skis come iteration number 3 and tried to Trojan Horse blu-ray on everyone, with serious market share retraction as their reward.

MS is going into generation three, what is historically the f*** up generation.

will they beat the curse or will they fall victim to it ?

watch next week
same hour
same channel.
---
you don't really know a woman 'til you've had a strong drink and a fistfight with her. - nord wisdom from utgherd the unbroken
#2WinternovaPosted 2/7/2013 10:13:43 AM
Ignoring TV Color Game, The SG-1000, 32X, CDX, Pico, and others, are we?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#3Dragon NexusPosted 2/7/2013 10:25:20 AM
Not sure if you can really count the 32X as a console...
Especially if you're not including the Sega CD.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#4crimsonclaw111Posted 2/7/2013 10:28:41 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Those things are more like expansions, as they still relied on Genesis hardware to even work.

Will be interesting to see if Sony can reclaim the throne of the PS2, or if Nintendo can get close to their glory days, and if Microsoft can fight the curse.

This gen will be entertaining to say the least.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
#5TheRobPosted 2/7/2013 10:29:17 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Yeah, they don't count. They were just add-ons.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#6Surv1valismPosted 2/7/2013 10:31:20 AM
Yeah i don't think its really relevant here, All those 3rds were stepping into new territory, Disc gaming With Saturn, N64 was using pretty much new 3D tech for games which was awkward, PS3 with it's blue ray and hardware.
---
GT: IAstro ZombieI ( i's)
PSN: IThe_WretchedI http://www.listal.com/list/game-collection-astrozombie29 (not finished)
#7IWUPosted 2/7/2013 10:33:44 AM
Does no one remember the "Sega Master System II" ? It had Alex Kid built in to the console itself so when you turned it on with no cartridge inside you could play Alex Kid, was I the only person who owned one?

My point is, technically the Genesis was the third console by Sega.
---
...due to having Asperger I simply don't care... for real. I just... don't. I find everyone weird and I myself am weird. -mtjormitch
#8RycerXPosted 2/7/2013 10:34:22 AM
The Dreamcast may have failed at sales, but it won at everything else.
#9WinternovaPosted 2/7/2013 10:34:27 AM
TheRob posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...

Yeah, they don't count. They were just add-ons.

The SG-1000 counts, however.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#10_DevilBob_Posted 2/7/2013 10:46:52 AM
private400 posted...
for those who do not know of it:

the third console curse is a strange phenomenon that has hit every console

The curse is that every company that makes game console's and gets to their third generation ,that generation seems fated to faillure.

these where the last console' makers who fell to the curse:

Nintendo released the NES, worked hard to make it something consumers wanted. They released SNES, did the same. Then their 3rd iteration they waited too long, rejected discs, and alienated 3rd parties. The N64 gave up a ton of market share to Sony's PS1 as a result.

Sega released the Master System as a distant also ran to the NES, worked hard and built the Genesis into a legitimate contender, but started to frankenstein it a little at the end. Then come their 3rd iteration they put out the convoluted ass Saturn. The solid Dreamcast wasn't enough to right the ship at that point.

Sony gave everyone what they wanted with the PS1. Then they put out a highly competitive, well marketed, well hyped system with the PS2 that everyone jumped on board with. They, like their predecessors, got out over their skis come iteration number 3 and tried to Trojan Horse blu-ray on everyone, with serious market share retraction as their reward.

MS is going into generation three, what is historically the f*** up generation.

will they beat the curse or will they fall victim to it ?

watch next week
same hour
same channel.

lo, what a dumb statement. you realize that Blu Ray is as popular as it is now BECAUSE of the PS3, right? it's like the number one selling BD player in the universe. sony didn't trick or force anyone into buying one.
---
That silence you hear is the sound of my eyes rolling.