This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MS now enters the "dreaded third console curse....

#21MrBathingApePosted 2/7/2013 11:31:33 AM
IWU posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...
IWU posted...
Does no one remember the "Sega Master System II" ? It had Alex Kid built in to the console itself so when you turned it on with no cartridge inside you could play Alex Kid, was I the only person who owned one?.

not every unit did. my master system had hang on and safari hunt built in.

Bottom line is, the console invalidates the TC's original notion. Plus it's good to see a fellow mater system 2 owner. Now I know I didn't just simply imagine owning it when I was a kid...

It only invalidates the notion as much as the PSone would do - it was just a repackaged master system. There was also a Mega Drive 2 btw - basically a smaller mega drive without the headphone jack.

Even the SG-1000 was in essence a master system with a different cartridge system, but in fairness it was a different console so I'd say that does break the rule.
#22StarGoyPosted 2/7/2013 11:58:40 AM
It's called becoming over confident. Nintendo, Sony, and Sega all made the same mistake, more or less.
#23ImnocreEPPosted 2/7/2013 11:59:47 AM
I would change N64 to Virtual Boy, since technically that was the 3rd console and it released before the N64 did
---
I don't need your pity claps.
#24private400(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 2:17:06 PM
bump
---
you don't really know a woman 'til you've had a strong drink and a fistfight with her. - nord wisdom from utgherd the unbroken
#25HENTAIDOJIPosted 2/7/2013 2:22:19 PM
Crisis averted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX

360 = MS' 3rd console

shawnmck posted...
Are you saying that the PS3 was a "failure" ?

Sure. Sony lost $6 billion this gen and came last and lost 70 million users.
Microsoft has made $1 billion and gained 50+ million users.

Sony had to constantly (and now undercut) prices just to keep pace with a system with the same RRP from 2008.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#26Madness2012Posted 2/7/2013 2:59:24 PM
Why post this on both boards??

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65390835
#27scoobydoobydontPosted 2/7/2013 3:06:23 PM
N64 is by far my favorite Nintendo console (SM64 is literally the best thing Nintendo has ever done).

PS3, when factoring in BC models, is objectively the best Sony console.

Sega had a iterative series of consoles before Master System (SG-1000 and a bunch of derivatives), so Genesis is technically their third proper console and one of the best consoles ever (as well as Sega's most successful).

Atari peaked and fell within its first generation.

Yeah, third console curse my ass.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#28Chewy247Posted 2/7/2013 3:12:07 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
N64 is by far my favorite Nintendo console (SM64 is literally the best thing Nintendo has ever done).

PS3, when factoring in BC models, is objectively the best Sony console.

Sega had a iterative series of consoles before Master System (SG-1000 and a bunch of derivatives), so Genesis is technically their third proper console and one of the best consoles ever (as well as Sega's most successful).

Atari peaked and fell within its first generation.

Yeah, third console curse my ass.

He is talking in the majority sense, the N64 may have been the best in your eyes, but in reality it pushed many of their 3rd party away. No one in the casual crowd has heard of an SG-1000, so we are talking about the multi million sellers here.
---
#TimesUpPunk
#29darren19822000Posted 2/7/2013 3:18:11 PM
i think it comes down to the small things to determine which console will be the best.

does sony finally charge for internet? i hope so. use that money to make it beter than the poorly done free internet on ps3.

does MS focus more on the "casual" gamer? i own a kinect and have used it for about 1 hour. my kids wont even play it.

does anyone even think the wiiu will be good compared to the newer xbox/ps?

i own both and havent touched my ps3 in over a year. their exclusive games arent my style and i hate their internet. MS just makes gaming with friends so much easier.
---
gt darren reefnugs
#30shinra35800Posted 2/7/2013 3:20:39 PM
shawnmck posted...
Are you saying that the PS3 was a "failure" ?

-Very high intro price

-faulty hardware

-overpriced controllers

-faulty/no backwards compatibility

-not alot of great exclusives (at least compared to the ps2)