This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MS now enters the "dreaded third console curse....

#31BBBanks03Posted 2/7/2013 3:30:08 PM
Huh… I never thought about that before, but that is a pretty strange coincidence there, TC. I immediately knew as soon as I finished reading the first post there’d be countless others of people trying to chew the theory, but it is actually pretty sound. Say what you want, guys, the Saturn, N64, and PS3 all definitely were the least successful console of their respective manufacturers.

Surv1valism posted...
Yeah i don't think its really relevant here, All those 3rds were stepping into new territory, Disc gaming With Saturn, N64 was using pretty much new 3D tech for games which was awkward, PS3 with it's blue ray and hardware.

Every new console is stepping into new territory dude, if there's no new territory involved in any way, it's not really a new console.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#32Surv1valismPosted 2/7/2013 3:31:06 PM
But not in new huge tech leaps.
---
GT: IAstro ZombieI ( i's)
PSN: IThe_WretchedI http://www.listal.com/list/game-collection-astrozombie29 (not finished)
#33scoobydoobydontPosted 2/7/2013 3:32:33 PM
Chewy247 posted...
He is talking in the majority sense, the N64 may have been the best in your eyes, but in reality it pushed many of their 3rd party away. No one in the casual crowd has heard of an SG-1000, so we are talking about the multi million sellers here.

Not a distinction I consider valid or relevant,but even so, I'm not concerned because most 3rd consoles have actually kicked ass. I don't care if they are number 1 in units.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#34reincarnator07Posted 2/7/2013 3:33:11 PM
shinra35800 posted...
shawnmck posted...
Are you saying that the PS3 was a "failure" ?

-faulty hardware

-overpriced controllers

-(limited) backwards compatibility

-not alot of great exclusives (at least compared to the ps2)

Above applies to the 360 also.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#35sting__artPosted 2/7/2013 3:39:56 PM
Calling the N64 and PS3 a failure, i would redefine failure.
#36SonyHoundDawgPosted 2/7/2013 3:54:28 PM

lo, what a dumb statement. you realize that Blu Ray is as popular as it is now BECAUSE of the PS3, right? it's like the number one selling BD player in the universe. sony didn't trick or force anyone into buying one.

Being a Blu Ray player is all about PS3 did right for the first 3 or 4 years of its life, a very expensive blu ray player at that.
#37FFTHEWINNERPosted 2/7/2013 3:56:52 PM
i think that you forgot about the MSX and the MSX 2 >_>.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#38TheIastspartanPosted 2/7/2013 3:57:39 PM
>calling the n64 a failure

wat
#39AWarAmp84Posted 2/7/2013 3:58:53 PM
RycerX posted...
The Dreamcast may have failed at sales, but it won at everything else.

I loved my Dreamcast.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
#40ShinChuckPosted 2/7/2013 4:08:41 PM
BBBanks03 posted...
Huh… I never thought about that before, but that is a pretty strange coincidence there, TC. I immediately knew as soon as I finished reading the first post there’d be countless others of people trying to chew the theory, but it is actually pretty sound. Say what you want, guys, the Saturn, N64, and PS3 all definitely were the least successful console of their respective manufacturers.

This. And they were also the third widespread console releases for each of their manufacturers.

Yes, Sega had the SG-1000. No, it did not have a world-wide release, and was not particularly notable. The Master System II was not a new console, nor was the Genesis II or III; rather, they were updates of the existing, in some cases cheaper and lower quality.

People just love to analyze the heck out of everything, eh?
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.