This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MS now enters the "dreaded third console curse....

#41Dr JackalPosted 2/7/2013 4:12:18 PM
*Playing my Xbox 720*

Internet goes down

Xbox 720 powers off while playing a game since it can't function without internet connection.

Hardware failure for improper shutdown

RRoD.... noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

dammit....
---
Undefeated lifetime.
Currently playing: NIER, Dead Space 3, Forza Horizon, Far Cry 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni
#42_OujiDoza_Posted 2/7/2013 4:12:35 PM
Madness2012 posted...
Why post this on both boards??

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65390835

For varying opinions? *GASP* I know, crazy.
#43TheIastspartanPosted 2/7/2013 4:16:58 PM
ShinChuck posted...
BBBanks03 posted...
Huh… I never thought about that before, but that is a pretty strange coincidence there, TC. I immediately knew as soon as I finished reading the first post there’d be countless others of people trying to chew the theory, but it is actually pretty sound. Say what you want, guys, the Saturn, N64, and PS3 all definitely were the least successful console of their respective manufacturers.

This. And they were also the third widespread console releases for each of their manufacturers.

Yes, Sega had the SG-1000. No, it did not have a world-wide release, and was not particularly notable. The Master System II was not a new console, nor was the Genesis II or III; rather, they were updates of the existing, in some cases cheaper and lower quality.

People just love to analyze the heck out of everything, eh?

If anything I'd say the wii was Nintendo's worst yet. Sure, it sold like crazy, but it was weak and didn't have a **** ton of the current gens best multi plat titles. On top of that, it lost a lot of it's old crowd.

Whereas the n64 made up for it's downfalls with hundreds of magnificent 1st party titles and was single handedly responsible for 90% of the fun I had in my childhood. I'd still consider it one of my favorite consoles ever.
#44NakedSnake1986Posted 2/7/2013 5:24:51 PM
I don't know what tc is babbling about but the n64 and ps3 were huge success.

Nintendo lost its 3rd party support with the GameCube.
---
Tied to a wheel, fingers got to feel,
Bleeding through a tourniquet smile
#45ShinChuckPosted 2/7/2013 6:25:46 PM
TheIastspartan posted...

If anything I'd say the wii was Nintendo's worst yet. Sure, it sold like crazy, but it was weak and didn't have a **** ton of the current gens best multi plat titles. On top of that, it lost a lot of it's old crowd.

Whereas the n64 made up for it's downfalls with hundreds of magnificent 1st party titles and was single handedly responsible for 90% of the fun I had in my childhood. I'd still consider it one of my favorite consoles ever.

And there might be truth to that first part. Dreamcast did worse than Saturn a well, but I don't think OP necessarily said successive consoles couldn't be worse, just that they seem to often be the downfall!

Going a bit off topic... the N64 hardly had hundreds of magnificent first party titles. Nintendo only published 55-55, and only about 25 of those were first party developers, and not all of those were magnificent.

At the risk of getting myself flamed, the N64's library really wasn't all that hot, and it had a high proportion of crap. There simply aren't nearly many classics on the N64 as there are on the NES, SNES, PSX, or PS2. Don't get me wrong, it's got some classics as well, but I think a lot of the N64 love simply comes from childhood nostalgia.

And believe me, I was there too!
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#46BBBanks03Posted 2/7/2013 6:50:17 PM
ShinChuck posted...
TheIastspartan posted...

And there might be truth to that first part. Dreamcast did worse than Saturn a well, but I don't think OP necessarily said successive consoles couldn't be worse, just that they seem to often be the downfall!

Going a bit off topic... the N64 hardly had hundreds of magnificent first party titles. Nintendo only published 55-55, and only about 25 of those were first party developers, and not all of those were magnificent.

At the risk of getting myself flamed, the N64's library really wasn't all that hot, and it had a high proportion of crap. There simply aren't nearly many classics on the N64 as there are on the NES, SNES, PSX, or PS2. Don't get me wrong, it's got some classics as well, but I think a lot of the N64 love simply comes from childhood nostalgia.

And believe me, I was there too!

I think you're right on the money, most of the people saying TC is crazy for suggesting N64 was a step back are backing up their statements with: "I loved it! I had a ton of good games for it!" Fine, glad you did. It doesn't change the fact that it was the first time Nintendo had soundly lost a console war.

Nintendo's stubbornness to accept a disk-based format cost them Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, probably the PS1's most beloved and successful games. Without it, Sony would have lost two of its most essential franchises and would have very likely lost to Nintendo back in the day. I'm sure you all loved playing Ocarina and Mario 64 on your N64, but the way the system was put together turned out to be a HUGE mistake in the long run.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#47knightimexPosted 2/7/2013 7:42:33 PM
Winternova posted...
knightimex posted...
What is a SG-1000 ?
I'm sure it wasn't popular enough to matter.

Just because it wasn't popular doesn't mean it wasn't Sega's first cartridge-based console. That means that the 3rd console (apart from revisions to the SG-1000 and Sega Master System) was the Genesis. Additionally, the Color TV Game was Nintendo's first console, meaning the SNES was their third. This ruins the "third console curse" theory.

What if the curse was referring to "popular" consoles?
---
Old School Games FTW!
#48private400(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 1:48:32 PM
bump
---
you don't really know a woman 'til you've had a strong drink and a fistfight with her. - nord wisdom from utgherd the unbroken
#49scoobydoobydontPosted 2/8/2013 3:33:14 PM
knightimex posted...

What if the curse was referring to "popular" consoles?

If you have to twist the terms that much just to make it work, it isn't valid to begin with. I mean, rhetorically, because only a stupid, superstitious a****** believes in curses to begin with.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#5095_EclipsePosted 2/8/2013 3:54:11 PM
shinra35800 posted...

-faulty hardware

I lol'd.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\