This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Target is recording and tracking my M-rated game purchases!?

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 2/7/2013 10:46:59 AM(edited)
So, I was out today looking for Fire Emblem Awakening because I heard it was the killer game for the 3DS and is sold out everywhere.
While looking, I found a game I have been meaning to pick up. The game was slightly over priced for being 2 yrs old and out of print but I decided to grab it anyways.

As I was checking out they said they needed to see my ID because it was M-rated.
I am used to this, so I showed them my ID and started putting it back in my pocket when they said they needed to "SEE" it as in actually take possession of ID.
So, wondering why I gave them it. I watched as the clerk scanned my ID barcode through the cash-register and my name and information as well as the game I was purchasing popped up on her screen.

It then occurred to me that they were not only recording my M-rated purchase, but tracking my M-rated purchases as well.
I asked her what this was for, why he had to do it. She gave me the line "Well you see this is an M-rated game."
I stopped her, "I'm 32, I was in the industry. I know for a fact that M-rated game sales to minors is not a law yet, and besides that matter I am obviously an adult. Why do you need more then just to verify that I am of age to purchase this material?"

She looked at me, dumbfounded and said "I'm just doing what my register prompt tells me to do"

So yea, apparently Target is recording and tracking your M-rated game purchases. I really am not fond of this practice, because in my mind it leads to other things and ways for politicians to further blame violent or sexual video games for the delinquency of the populace at large instead of their own mistakes or other factors in the person's life. I am half tempted to return my purchase and boycott the chain over this.

The question is, do they do the SAME type of recording, or even license checking for R-rated movies?
What about for cigarettes and alcohol? What about them?

This all happened at a Target in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
---
EDIT

In a private message from a Target worker,
"the register is Creating an "Algorhythm." for you, I.E. Creating a Sub Account for you, in the event that you return, and purchase M-Rated Games, or anything that requires an ID Check, so it keeps track of WHAT your purchasing so it can print out personal coupons for you, for future items."

Which makes a lot of sense, considering that many "Reward" programs work under the same logic as well.

Also does the idea they do it for legitimacy of the person's ID, to make sure it is an official state issued License as well.

I am just not used to seeing all my information popup onscreen like that however.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2SonyHoundDawgPosted 2/7/2013 10:35:57 AM(edited)
The whole scanning of the ID thing, thats idiot proofing the registers so the clerks and/or store don't get in trouble. If you buy beer, smokes, m rated games, etc, they have to scan the id so the computer can calculate if your old enough. If the clerk just looks at the id, they a much bigger change for a mistake. When I was a teenager and working retail, I had type in the birth day in the register and it would aprrove or not, but that was before these fancy bar coded id's and stuff there is now.

But your bar code just has your data, its an instant way for a computer to read it without the human factor of tpying in data wrong. And whether Target saves this data or not, I have no Idea.

I have heard a story of some guy losing a lawsuit due to the store tracking what they buy. For example, many of you might have reward cards at the grocery. Lets say you buy beer every week. Then lets one day you slip and fall at the store and you go sue them. They bust your purchases saying you buy all this beer and you might have been buzzed or drunk and fell and you lose.
#3TravarkothPosted 2/7/2013 10:31:52 AM
I've been carded, but they've never... 'tracked' me or 'recorded' me as far as I can tell, except at GameStop on my PowerRewards card (which is normal, as they track *all* my purchased games).

I haven't bought a game from Target in a long time (been buying on Amazon 95% of the time), so I can't confirm nor deny it for my Target.
---
"Please stop being human. "
--- 343 Guilty Spark ---
#4mrhappyguy12345Posted 2/7/2013 10:33:16 AM
I don't think they're tracking you. They scan your id to verify its authenticity. Liquor stores have this system in place, as do most places that sell cigarettes. While not illegal to sell an m rated game to minors, it may be store policy.
---
I love video games : )
#5mrhappyguy12345Posted 2/7/2013 10:36:30 AM
SonyHoundDawg posted...
The whole scanning of the ID thing, thats idiot proofing the registers so the clerks and/or store don't get in trouble. If you buy beer, smokes, m rated games, etc, they have to scan the id so the computer can calculate if your old enough. If the clerk just looks at the id, they a much bigger change for a mistake. When I was a teenager and working retail, I had type in the birth day in the register and it would aprrove or not, but that was before these fancy bar coded id's and stuff there is now.

But your bar code just has your data, its an instant way for a computer to read it without the human factor of tpying in data wrong. And whether Target saves this data or not, I have no Idea.

It's not that it calculates your age, but the system is linked to the state ID database. It's to verify that customers are not using fake ids, and it covers retailers behinds from potential fines for underage sales.
---
I love video games : )
#6The Waynos BumPosted 2/7/2013 10:37:09 AM
Have you never been to a bar or club that scans your ID at the door? It sucks.
---
Canya a l'Europa del capital!
#7Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:37:21 AM
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
I don't think they're tracking you. They scan your id to verify its authenticity. Liquor stores have this system in place, as do most places that sell cigarettes. While not illegal to sell an m rated game to minors, it may be store policy.

"the register is Creating an "Algorhythm." for you, I.E. Creating a Sub Account for you, in the event that you return, and purchase M-Rated Games, or anything that requires an ID Check, so it keeps track of WHAT your purchasing so it can print out personal coupons for you, for future items."
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#8GGearXPosted 2/7/2013 10:39:15 AM
ITS A CONSPIRACY
TC..... Burn everything.... Leave nothing behind. Right now they are watching you. " Who's they?" you ask?

Aliens.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#9WinternovaPosted 2/7/2013 10:40:46 AM
SonyHoundDawg posted...

It's not that it calculates your age, but the system is linked to the state ID database. It's to verify that customers are not using fake ids, and it covers retailers behinds from potential fines for underage sales.

There are no potential fines for underage sales of video games.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#10glassghost0Posted 2/7/2013 10:40:48 AM
Marblesbunbun posted...

Does it matter Mr. Conspiracy Theorist?
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428