This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Target is recording and tracking my M-rated game purchases!?

#21TheBlueStigPosted 2/7/2013 10:55:11 AM
Marblesbunbun posted...
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
I don't think they're tracking you. They scan your id to verify its authenticity. Liquor stores have this system in place, as do most places that sell cigarettes. While not illegal to sell an m rated game to minors, it may be store policy.

In a private message from a Target worker,
"the register is Creating an "Algorhythm." for you, I.E. Creating a Sub Account for you, in the event that you return, and purchase M-Rated Games, or anything that requires an ID Check, so it keeps track of WHAT your purchasing so it can print out personal coupons for you, for future items."

That's a bulls*** excuse for data tracking without your permission, especially when they would willfully hand that information over to anyone that asked for it, hell, they might even sell that info so you get "Targeted" (pun intended) for spam advertising.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#22Last VampirePosted 2/7/2013 11:02:34 AM(edited)
It's not free money, because Target tracks your purchase history and shares it with other parties for marketing purposes. Although, here at least, you can opt out of having it shared with third parties.

Also, I signed up for one the day I started working there because it stacked with my employee discount, and I have never received the first piece of junk mail - physically or digitally.

Edit:

1) Your name did not appear on the POS screen. The items you were purchasing did, but that's normal.

2) Are you really going to trust someone that can't even spell algorithm? Coupons are based on individual transactions. In fact, sometimes when an item is scanned, a coupon will print for that item during the transaction. When that happens, we just apply the coupon right then. You are not being added to a "sub-group" or whatever the hell that guy was talking about. And if you were, it would be based on your credit/debit card, not your ID.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV
#23SheepinatorPosted 2/7/2013 10:57:37 AM
Last Vampire posted...
It's not free money, because Target tracks your purchase history and shares it with other parties for marketing purposes. Although, here at least, you can opt out of having it shared with third parties.

It's still free money. And I prefer customized marketing to random.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#24Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:00:56 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
I don't think they're tracking you. They scan your id to verify its authenticity. Liquor stores have this system in place, as do most places that sell cigarettes. While not illegal to sell an m rated game to minors, it may be store policy.

In a private message from a Target worker,
"the register is Creating an "Algorhythm." for you, I.E. Creating a Sub Account for you, in the event that you return, and purchase M-Rated Games, or anything that requires an ID Check, so it keeps track of WHAT your purchasing so it can print out personal coupons for you, for future items."

That's a bulls*** excuse for data tracking without your permission, especially when they would willfully hand that information over to anyone that asked for it, hell, they might even sell that info so you get "Targeted" (pun intended) for spam advertising.

I still get freaked out when Amazon sends me emails "This is in your cart when you left the site, and we also suggest" etc etc spam in my email.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#25Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:05:01 AM
Last Vampire posted...

Also, I signed up for one the day I started working there because it stacked with my employee discount, and I have never received the first piece of junk mail - physically or digitally.

Edit:

1) Your name did not appear on the POS screen. The items you were purchasing did, but that's normal.

2) Are you really going to trust someone that can't even spell algorithm? Coupons are based on individual transactions. In fact, sometimes when an item is scanned, a coupon will print for that item during the transaction. When that happens, we just apply the coupon right then. You are not being added to a "sub-group" or whatever the hell that guy was talking about. And if you were, it would be based on your credit/debit card, not your ID.

*laughs* I did get a $10 coupon for my next purchase which is semi normal.
I also know they do track Credit-card sales because I've had to return things I've lost the receipt to.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.