This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people spend time lurking around on boards of games they allegedly HATE?

#1BBBanks03Posted 2/7/2013 2:55:30 PM
It’s something I’ve been thinking about quite a bit lately. We’ve recently had two relatively big games come out recently, Devil May Cry and Dead Space 3. If you’re to take a trip over to either of those game’s respective boards (especially the DmC PS3 board) you’re likely to find pages worth of topics about people slamming the games, saying they’re letdowns, saying they’ve betrayed their roots, saying the games suck, etc. Diablo 3 is probably one of the biggest offenders of this; that game’s board seems to be like 75% hate and complaining over how much of a letdown the game is.

Now, voicing your displeasure over something you were looking forward to and were subsequently disappointed by I can understand. What really surprises me is how people will keep coming to a game’s board over and over, some of them for weeks, months, or YEARS after a game has been released with no other purpose in mind than to trash the game. Honestly, what is to be gained out of that?? People seriously like going to boards of games they supposedly can’t stand just to trample on people who do enjoy the game?

I just seriously don’t get how this is something worthwhile and entertaining for people. If I play a game that disappoints me, or that I think flat-out sucks, then it is what it is and life goes on. The last thing I want to do is visit that game’s board of people discussing things about something that I can’t stand, just waiting for someone to praise what they enjoy about it, and then pouncing at them with “this game sucks! Anyone who likes it is a moron! Get off your high horse fanboy! etc. etc.” Are they honestly hoping that if they whine enough about it, they’ll convert someone who originally liked the game over to their cause, and they’ll start whining about it too?? Is it because Dead Space, DmC and Diablo 3 all start with the letter ‘D’ and that letter just happens to bring out the whiners? I’m just totally lost on this…
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#2Killah PriestPosted 2/7/2013 2:56:18 PM
I never understood that either.

I can see doing it on the general board but why go to the board itself... thats just dumb.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3majinbuu58Posted 2/7/2013 2:59:46 PM
Its gamefaqs. 90% of posters are here to start trouble
#4SunDevil77Posted 2/7/2013 3:03:41 PM
They lead very unfulfilling lives and feel like slamming something, even if it is an inanimate object, makes them feel better about themselves.

Speaking of trolls in general.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#5HakuPosted 2/7/2013 3:06:43 PM
Balance. If everyone who did not like it left, anyone coming to the board would see a biased view of the game. Instead of both the good and the bad.
#6KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 3:07:05 PM
Insecurity.

They believe in an objective view of "good" and "bad" (that is, they think that there is a set definition of what is and is not good, and what is and is not bad)and, the problem compounds itself in 2 ways

1) They genuinely believe that not liking a game means it's bad, and that, by educating people on why a game (or a movie, or a book, or literally anything) is bad, they are "converting" them so to speak. Helping them see the light and realize that Microsoft / Sony / Nintendo are inferior to Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft.

2) Because they believe that "Good" and "Bad" are objective terms instead of just being statements of an opinion, when they tell others that "X" game/console/movie is terrible and "Y" game/console/movie is WAY better, and someone disagrees with them, they take it as an insult - as if by not liking a game, it somehow invalidates their liking the game to begin with.

To them, popularity = quality. Some of them are just ****s though.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#7scoobydoobydontPosted 2/7/2013 3:07:44 PM
"BRAIN DAMAGE!" -Bill Cosby
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#8BBBanks03(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 3:18:21 PM
Haku posted...
Balance. If everyone who did not like it left, anyone coming to the board would see a biased view of the game. Instead of both the good and the bad.

See now that I could buy into, but it still doesn't explain why some people just choose to go a board over and over again for months after a game's been released just to slam it. You would think after a certain amount of time passes, a particular game's board WOULD just be filled with people that enjoy the game having discussion about what they liked and didn't like.

Again, to use the Diablo 3 example. That game's been out for a year (or something like that) and still all you'll find are people just incessantly trashing the game. I understand the game was a disappointment for a lot of people, but any time a person creates a positive topic about the game they are simply buried by people telling them how awful it is. It's just weird to me.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#9ZosKiaCultusPosted 2/7/2013 5:53:21 PM
Because they hate themselves and/or their lives.
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#10Killah PriestPosted 2/7/2013 5:56:30 PM(edited)
Again, to use the Diablo 3 example. That game's been out for a year (or something like that) and still all you'll find are people just incessantly trashing the game. I understand the game was a disappointment for a lot of people, but any time a person creates a positive topic about the game they are simply buried by people telling them how awful it is. It's just weird to me.

the most pathetic one was the hellgate london boards, the game was destroyed the company defunct yet the same group of trolls was still on the board trolling the game like it was their job.

I bet they are still there trolling it. (nope, no active posts)
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.