This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No More Third Party Exclusives, What Games Will Keep You?

#31randomweirdoPosted 2/9/2013 4:47:46 PM
chrcol posted...
at least slist all of the exclusives.

you forgot the best ones for the console thats criminal.

fable series
lost oddysey/blue dragon

better than all the games on your list.

Except Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon aren't first party games.

Since some folks here don't get the difference, let me explain this:

First party games: Developed by the maker of the console or a studio they own and then published by the maker of the console. Halo series is an example of this sort of game since Microsoft owns 343.

Second party games: Developed by a company that isn't owned by the company that makes the console, but published by the console maker. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are examples of this since Mistwalker isn't a Microsoft owned company. If they were, Last Story would have been released for the 360, not the Wii and would have been published by Microsoft, not Xseed games. This is a more common arrangement for games done by smaller developers who cannot publish themselves, or cannot publish outside of one country by themselves. You don't see this as often outside of XBLA games and the equivalent.

Third party games: These are developed and published by a company who is separate from the console maker. Some companies, like Bethesda, make and publish their own games, others rely on another third party company to publish. The main difference here is that support for the game is handled by the third party and these are the games that will be released on multiple consoles.
#32HENTAIDOJIPosted 2/9/2013 4:59:04 PM(edited)
pic is third party but GEARS OF WAR is first party.

Correct. Epic is a third party developer (independent), Gears of War are first party games (published by Microsoft)

It's not about PUBLISHED, it's about the rights to the series.

Well not really, Microsoft own the rights to Shadowrun and MechWarrior but licensed them to Smith and Tinker to make 3rd party published games (albeit exclusive to Xbox and Windows). Same with Lucasarts and Rovio with Angry Birds Star Wars.

Second party games: Developed by a company that isn't owned by the company that makes the console, but published by the console maker

Yeah, this is a term that doesn't really mean anything (we called them 1.5 parties back in the Dreamcast day before they were common) 2nd parties are interchangeable with 3rd parties.

Just because Ruffian only made Crackdown 2 exclusively for Xbox 360 doesn't make them any less third party than Epic.

Such terminology is made much easier this way

First party = Owned by Microsoft/Published by Microsoft
Third party = Not owned/published by Microsoft
Seconf party = See Third Party

---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#33RahzarX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 9:37:16 PM
Well, I was wrong, GoW is not owned by Microsoft BUT, I read this.

""Despite being published by Microsoft, the Gears of War IP is wholly owned by Epic Games. In an interview, Epic CEO Mike Capps stated his desire to eventually bring Gears of War to other platforms, such as the PlayStation 3. However, he further stated "Time and time again, when it came down to figure out what we do next with Gears, we sat down with Microsoft and they've given us really good, compelling reasons to work with them again.""

So it still belongs on the list for now.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#34RahzarX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 9:34:34 AM
Bump
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#35MR_SorenPosted 2/13/2013 11:07:43 AM
I bought a 360 because I like CAVE. They made more than 10 Xbox 360 games.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
#36ArkonBladePosted 2/13/2013 11:25:08 AM
RahzarX posted...
It's expected that third party exclusives are a thing of the past. In a future where first-party is king, what will force your hand?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/02/01/daily-reaction-ps4-and-xbox-720-what-the-next-gen-means-for-console-exclusives/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/ubisoft-discusses-next-gen-exclusivity-wii-u-support

Just for some examples, this is what each console owner can (possibly) expect plus whatever IP's get created obviously:

Sony:
Motorstorm
Killzone
LittleBigPlanet
Naughty Dog's Next Big Title
Gran Turismo
The Last Guardian
MLB: The Show
God of War
Infamous
Sly Cooper
Twisted Metal
Ratchet & Clank

Microsoft
Forza
Gears of War
Halo
Kinect Series
Project Gotham Racing
Trials Series

Nintendo
Animal Crossing
F-Zero
Golden Sun
Nintendo Wars (Advance Wars)
Pikmin
Pokemon
Donkey Kong
Fatal Frame
Metroid
Mario
Fire Emblem
Star Fox
Super Smash Brothers
Custom Robo
Mario Party
Mario Kart
Nintendo Party
Warioware
Zelda
Yoshi
Wario
Sin and Punishment
Kirby
Pilotwings

You left out Disgaea on the PS3 list which has to be one of my favs. I think alot of the japanese games will eather stay on nintendo or sony like you are seeing now. atleast outside of the major ones like Capcom , SE , Sega, and a few others. Though already pretty much every american and any other develpers from any other country are multiplatform.

Only reason Gears is not on the PS3 is because MS paid alot of money to make sure that doesn't happen and thats about the only other way in the future you are gona lock a 3rd party game to your console.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#37josh924Posted 2/13/2013 11:43:08 AM(edited)
randomweirdo posted...
chrcol posted...
at least slist all of the exclusives.

you forgot the best ones for the console thats criminal.

fable series
lost oddysey/blue dragon

better than all the games on your list.

Except Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon aren't first party games.

I don't know about Blue Dragon, but I know Lost Odyssey is a first party game. Except for the story and music, most everything about it was developed by FeelPlus, which is a Microsoft owned company.

By the way, I'm pretty sure "second party" isn't an actual term.

Correction: feelplus was owned by MS, but is now owned by AQ Interactive. In any case, they were owned by MS at the time that they co-developed Lost Odyssey, which makes Lost Odyssey a first-party game.
---
I like how the GameFAQs spellcheck shows that the word "Wii" is fine, but the words "Xbox" and "Kinect" show up as typos.
#38foodeater4Posted 2/13/2013 11:59:28 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]