This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get why publishers are crying bloody murder on used games.

#11KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 5:27:38 PM
lol_Internets1 posted...
Spending on new games + consoles = $7.09 Billion
Spending on used games = $1.79 Billion

Used games accounted for 20% of the spending on games and consoles combined. That's a hefty chunk.

Oh, and for those of you who don't like digital distribution, almost $6 Billion was spent on downloadable content. It's here to stay - it almost surpassed the amount of sales on new physical items!

Oh I actually like DLC. I just hate Day 1 DLC and On-Disc DLC.

And you have used games to thank for all of that stuff.

25% of the revenue from the sale of physical hard-ware and soft-ware medium goes straight into the pockets of people who don't reinvest it into making games. Back when Funcoland was selling used games and the industry was a niche one, it wasn't so.

No industry is able to survive and grow and change with 25% of it's revenue being leeched off into retail (which doesn't absorb ANY of the respective operating costs). The money grubbing tactics of game companies these days are in DIRECT response to the rapidly escalating costs and decreasing streams of revenue from physical medium. That's why DLC has become an increasingly important part of keeping companies profitable, that's why smaller indie gaming is becoming more prominent.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#12vigorm0rtisPosted 2/7/2013 5:31:18 PM
foodeater4 posted...
Dev's forget the part where people trade in used games to buy a NEW game.

The GS model isn't symbiotic. And it's not the devs, it's the publishers.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#13KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 5:42:05 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
foodeater4 posted...

don't use words like symbiotic. It's just going to confuse people.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#14vigorm0rtisPosted 2/7/2013 5:45:14 PM
Oops. My bad.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#15stav8Posted 2/7/2013 6:25:21 PM
This is why i switched to pc gaming. Ontop of that closest game store to me is over an hour away and i dont like games on demands prices. Sinfe i switched digital distribution is the only viable option for gaming plus its dirt cheap and i rarely pay more than 10 for a game.

I can see next gen consoles beign a complete consumer skank to the point pc will be the better option for prices.
#16RetroFanGirlPosted 2/7/2013 6:26:47 PM
Funcoland, the only reason I don't like GameStop :/
---
Hi.
#17DarkSymbiotePosted 2/7/2013 6:30:49 PM
KillaBeAt posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
foodeater4 posted...

don't use words like symbiotic. It's just going to confuse people.

Why?
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#18WinternovaPosted 2/7/2013 6:55:59 PM
KillaBeAt posted...
lol_Internets1 posted...
Spending on new games + consoles = $7.09 Billion
Spending on used games = $1.79 Billion

Used games accounted for 20% of the spending on games and consoles combined. That's a hefty chunk.

Oh, and for those of you who don't like digital distribution, almost $6 Billion was spent on downloadable content. It's here to stay - it almost surpassed the amount of sales on new physical items!

Oh I actually like DLC. I just hate Day 1 DLC and On-Disc DLC.

And you have used games to thank for all of that stuff.

25% of the revenue from the sale of physical hard-ware and soft-ware medium goes straight into the pockets of people who don't reinvest it into making games. Back when Funcoland was selling used games and the industry was a niche one, it wasn't so.

No industry is able to survive and grow and change with 25% of it's revenue being leeched off into retail (which doesn't absorb ANY of the respective operating costs). The money grubbing tactics of game companies these days are in DIRECT response to the rapidly escalating costs and decreasing streams of revenue from physical medium. That's why DLC has become an increasingly important part of keeping companies profitable, that's why smaller indie gaming is becoming more prominent.

Well, when you factor in the DLC revenue, used games are only 12.1%. That's a far cry from your 25% claim.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#19KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 8:17:33 PM
Yes, I know that.

In terms of the sales of physical media though, it's still represents a huge chunk of the industry and, in terms of total revenues, I'm betting that there aren't many other industries that face more than 10% of their total revenue coming from resale, at least not any industries like the Video-game one).

It isn't a coincidence either that the increasing reliance of companies on DLC and digital media coincides with a growing market share ot the used game industry. It's nothing more than one industry trying to adapt to another.
---
#20KillaBeAtPosted 2/7/2013 8:18:39 PM
stav8 posted...
This is why i switched to pc gaming. Ontop of that closest game store to me is over an hour away and i dont like games on demands prices. Sinfe i switched digital distribution is the only viable option for gaming plus its dirt cheap and i rarely pay more than 10 for a game.

I can see next gen consoles beign a complete consumer skank to the point pc will be the better option for prices.

Wait. You switched to PC gaming because you don't like console Gamings used game policies? That..... doesn't make any sense at all.
---