This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get why publishers are crying bloody murder on used games.

#31SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 7:36:53 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
The last profit numbers for the game industry were posted in another topic....$14.8 BILLION dollars a year.

Really? Because I heard it was $73.5 quintazabajillion dollars a years. Oh sure I could reference topics where the facts are, or I could take a few seconds to look for them myself, but why bother with those?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#32chrcolPosted 2/8/2013 7:39:44 AM
post #5 from OrgeLambart has it right.

Once the used game market is dead, then new games wont drop in price even when a 2 year old release with no sales.

Given that many people wont buy games till they drop in price as well as many people fund pruchases of new games by selling old games, this will likely cause the market to shrink severely and piracy to sky rocket.

Probably the most stupid marketing decision made since I started gaming about 18 years ago.
#33SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 7:42:07 AM
chrcol posted...
post #5 from OrgeLambart has it right.

Once the used game market is dead, then new games wont drop in price even when a 2 year old release with no sales.

I did not realize game stores had been replaced with TARDIS's. Since you would need infinite shelf space for all these games, unless you discount them to get rid of inventory as has been standard practice at retail forever.
---
#34Akiba69Posted 2/8/2013 8:07:10 AM
Greed. Welcome to the gaming industry, when the publishers and developers no longer care about making a product that they love, they just want a good profit.
#35NavexPosted 2/8/2013 8:13:55 AM
lol_Internets1 posted...
Dedicated videogame stores like Funcoland were around over 30 years ago and they most certainly sold used games. Why now all of a sudden is it some crippling problem? I understand that videogames are a $40 Billion+ a year industry by the way.

Because the industry is at an all-time low right now and the world economy in general is horrid. Basically these companies didn't care before because they were enjoying good profits and the like but now that everything's gone to **** they suddenly do care as every used game that's sold, to them, is money not thrown their way and they believe they can't take any chances anymore.

It's also why we're seeing such cheaply made games these days. Whether they are rushed products or my favorite, the ones that have half the content locked on it and they sell it away as "DLC". It's true some companies are doing the latter just because they are greedy ****s and not necessarily in dire financial predicaments but many are doing that method just because they feel they need to make all the extra cash they can to survive.

In short, times are tough and gaming companies are doing anything they can to maximize profits and now see used games as an obstacle in this goal.
---
The Jess Margera Rock Radio Show
7PM-8PM EST every Wednesday night on PoochFM.com
#36ilikemilkmmmPosted 2/8/2013 8:17:25 AM
Used games are the only thing that keep console games semi reasonable. As a recent transfer to PC its awesome picking up games for 5 bucks that are still 25 on console.
#37SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 8:28:25 AM
Akiba69 posted...
Greed. Welcome to the gaming industry, when the publishers and developers no longer care about making a product that they love, they just want a good profit.

Yup, all those tales of industry crunch and people working insane overtime for little or no pay other than some pizza or takeout food, and all those credits lists thanking families for their understanding, all lies. Didn't happen. Nobody makes games out of passion for the craft, and it's so unreasonable to hope to make a living from it when everyone else in the world works for free. It's all a big lie. Or, you might be completely wrong.
---
#38Akiba69Posted 2/8/2013 8:31:53 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Akiba69 posted...

Yup, all those tales of industry crunch and people working insane overtime for little or no pay other than some pizza or takeout food, and all those credits lists thanking families for their understanding, all lies. Didn't happen. Nobody makes games out of passion for the craft, and it's so unreasonable to hope to make a living from it when everyone else in the world works for free. It's all a big lie. Or, you might be completely wrong.

It is incredible how naive you are to something you seem to love. You only see the surface, you don't know what it is like behind the scenes do you. Maybe that's for the best.
#39_OujiDoza_Posted 2/8/2013 8:32:36 AM
Ok, now even I have to admit there should be one central topic made for all of this stuff...
#40SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 8:41:54 AM
Akiba69 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Akiba69 posted...

It is incredible how naive you are to something you seem to love. You only see the surface, you don't know what it is like behind the scenes do you. Maybe that's for the best.

Post mortem after post mortem talking about the crunch and hard work required... the lawsuits over overtime pay... the IGDA's focus on crunch time... even Wikipedia references the "long working hours"... all lies! How do we know? Because some anon person on gamefaqs says so.
---