This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's not kid ourselves, even if games were $70 or $80...

#1Perfect LightPosted 2/7/2013 6:25:03 PM
Publishers and developers would STILL whine about used game sales and charge for online passes and DLC and stuff like that. They would happily take more money while continuing to spout the same sob story they did before. It's boo hoo publishers trying to make everyone feel bad for them while squeezing as much money as they can from people.

Game publishers and developers, get over yourselves. You are no more special than any other content makers in the world. Besides, you never see the successful developers whining about used game sales (Bethesda, Rockstar, Valve, etc). Put out a mediocre product, expect a mediocre return. Ensure the quality and polish of games like Grand Theft Auto or Elder Scrolls (for example) and you'll get the recognition and profit you deserve. Don't continue to half-ass it and then whine when no one buys your crap game new.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#2Kyle1022Posted 2/7/2013 6:29:14 PM
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/239-oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg
#3darkharePosted 2/7/2013 6:33:12 PM
Perfect Light posted...
Game publishers and developers, get over yourselves.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/65390085

---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#4Perfect Light(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 6:34:32 PM
Not my fault developers and publishers act like the damn Mafia. Where's MY CUT?! HUH? GIMME MY CUT!!!
---
#5_LordAndSaviorPosted 2/7/2013 6:36:18 PM
Perfect Light posted...
Not my fault developers and publishers act like the damn Mafia. Where's MY CUT?! HUH? GIMME MY CUT!!!

Agree'd screw these bastards.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#6vigorm0rtisPosted 2/7/2013 6:39:44 PM
Perfect Light posted...

Game publishers and developers, get over yourselves.

You really need to take a closer look at this. The problem is not used games. The problem is the dominant resale business model-- Gamestop, and the fact that every brick-and-mortar is getting away with copying it.

Resale is typically symbiotic. Automobiles, print, electronics, equipment of all kinds, and for different reasons. Automobile makers own patents on parts and make money of licenses to make off-brands, or make money off parts themselves. Electronics, equipment, and the like are similar. Print is discounted enough to encourage purchases where there wouldn't be one (they are competing with libraries), and a person might follow that author and make new purchases with savings. Games should follow that last paradigm, but since GS's model only discounts 5 to 10% during the 4 weeks in which most costs are recouped and profits made, while it may encourage a cheapskate to buy and save $3, that's not enough to encourage further purchases.

GS bucks the trend that makes retail and resale work together. You're right, in years past, it wasn't an issue, but when I bought back then, I was looking at substantially larger discounts.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#7Perfect Light(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 6:51:08 PM(edited)
vigorm0rtis posted...
You really need to take a closer look at this. The problem is not used games. The problem is the dominant resale business model-- Gamestop, and the fact that every brick-and-mortar is getting away with copying it.

It seems like the same business model of a lot of resale businesses. They buy your stuff and then resell it for a huge mark-up. I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of GameStop, but it's a legit business and if people are willing to pay crazy mark-ups then there's a business around to take advantage of that. There's a sucker born every minute.

Resale is typically symbiotic. Automobiles, print, electronics, equipment of all kinds, and for different reasons. Automobile makers own patents on parts and make money of licenses to make off-brands, or make money off parts themselves. Electronics, equipment, and the like are similar. Print is discounted enough to encourage purchases where there wouldn't be one (they are competing with libraries), and a person might follow that author and make new purchases with savings. Games should follow that last paradigm, but since GS's model only discounts 5 to 10% during the 4 weeks in which most costs are recouped and profits made, while it may encourage a cheapskate to buy and save $3, that's not enough to encourage further purchases.

Again, I am not defending GameStop. I am saying that game devs need to find new ways to encourage people to buy full price without just resorting to making the customer pay the difference. It doesn't work that way in any other resale industry, and publishers are simply taking the easy way out because stupid people are willing to let them. Only a moron would pay $55 for a used game at GameStop when places like Amazon or Ebay exist. Again, that is not my issue, my issue is publishers seeing an issue (GameStop) and making the wrong person pay for it (the consumers).

GS bucks the trend that makes retail and resale work together. You're right, in years past, it wasn't an issue, but when I bought back then, I was looking at substantially larger discounts.

If publishers and developers hated GameStop so much, why do they always get the best pre-order bonuses? Again, I'm not defending what GameStop does, but pretty much every game has a pre-order bonus and GameStop is always included. If they really wanted to take a stand, they would cut GameStop out of the loop. Sell the games on their own website like many other publishers have done, and maybe offer money for returns the same way GameStop does. Then offer those games in a "used" section on their website. Problem solved. Instead of doing actual work, they just make the consumers make up the difference.
---
#8DonomegaPosted 2/7/2013 6:55:53 PM
If develops hate GameStop maybe they should come up with their own video game buyback/resale system. How? I have no idea, I just pull the kid out, I don't name 'em :P
---
Intell 8088 @ 7.14Mhz | 640K RAM | TCGA 16 Color graphics | TWO 5.25" 640K Floppy drives | 10MB Hard disk
3DS FC: 0903-4184-6816
#9vigorm0rtisPosted 2/7/2013 6:57:42 PM
Eh... I don't know. I think everyone's in a bad situation, what with GS being the biggest gaming retailer in in the world, even after last year's losses. I personally don't think their boutique format is going to continue to work.

I personally find plenty of reason to spend $60, but I'm older and $60 just doesn't seem like that much money to me, especially since I was paying $50 for 3 hour long platformers when I was in high school.

I think the responsibility is two-fold. Gamers set up the current situation by going to GS and stiffing devs to save enough for a Slurpee. Devs and publishers can't be expected to take it in the chute to remedy a situation we've been voting for with our dollar votes for decades.

I've never purchased a used game from a company in all my 30+ years as a gamer. I've got no sympathy for people who feel a need to boycott new hardware because they made this bed. They're late to the party.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#10Perfect Light(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 7:05:29 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
I personally find plenty of reason to spend $60, but I'm older and $60 just doesn't seem like that much money to me, especially since I was paying $50 for 3 hour long platformers when I was in high school.

It's not very much money at all, but the matter isn't how much money it is, it's whether or not I want to support developers making mediocre games, which is why I'm very choosy with what games I buy new. I vote with my wallet and let developers know what I do and do not want, same as everyone else who wants the industry to go in a particular direction.

The thing publishers and developers are overlooking is that for a lot of people, the money they get from reselling games is a lot of the time what allows them to afford to buy new games all the time. When GameStop offers $30 for trade-ins, most people take that money and put it toward a new $60 game. If not for the trade-in, they wouldn't have the money to buy as many games and developers wouldn't see as much money as they do.

Publishers can whine all they want, but the statistics do not lie. Cut out the used game market and you'll kill retail gaming. Period.
---