This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people spend $100+ on Turtle Beach brand headsets?

#31SunDevil77Posted 2/8/2013 7:28:32 AM
EternalDivide posted...
Same reason people convince themselves they need to upgrade their iPhone every year.
The "Gotta buy what other people say is cool otherwise I'm not cool" mentality.

I think you might be mistaken, I've never quite felt "cool" by sitting at my gaming setup alone, putting on my headphones, and shutting out the outside world with my surround sound headset and Skyrim.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#32OmegaBladesPosted 2/8/2013 8:28:00 AM
Because my current budget doesn't allow me to purchase the $2500 speaker system that I really want. So $140 or a nice surround sound headset will suffice until then. And its helpful during quiet hours.
---
Steam, PSN, XBL & Nintendo ID: OmegaBlades
3DS: 1032-1408-2462
#33CapwnDPosted 2/8/2013 9:36:04 AM(edited)
EternalDivide posted...
Same reason people convince themselves they need to upgrade their iPhone every year.
The "Gotta buy what other people say is cool otherwise I'm not cool" mentality.

I think you might be mistaken, I've never quite felt "cool" by sitting at my gaming setup alone, putting on my headphones, and shutting out the outside world with my surround sound headset and Skyrim.

lol excellent point!

When I'm sitting there with my Gunar glasses and the Sennheiser / Mixamp combo strapped to my head, the last thing I think I am is "cool"!
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#34AWarAmp84Posted 2/8/2013 9:43:58 AM
I have a nice surround sound in my apartment but because I live in an apartment I can't turn the volume up very high. I don't think I could wear a pair of headphone though. They would just make me talk louder and I wouldn't be able to hear my fiance speak of my phone ring or someone knocking on my door. No thanks.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
#35larmes_du_h3rosPosted 2/8/2013 9:51:33 AM
Would a TB help if you have bad hearing?
#36WinternovaPosted 2/8/2013 9:53:09 AM
My wife works 3rd shift, so I don't want to wake her up if I play games during the day. I originally bought X11s, which I now use on my PC. I got a set of X41s for $80 from Woot.com and love them. It helps me identify the direction a sound is coming from, which is an advantage.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#37BahamutBBobPosted 2/8/2013 9:54:18 AM
I got a pair of X12s for about $60. I needed a new headset for my PC, and I play my 360 through my PC, so it was a no brainer. It works well for both, and I can't complain about it at all. I've had them for almost a year.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#38WinternovaPosted 2/8/2013 9:54:55 AM
larmes_du_h3ros posted...
Would a TB help if you have bad hearing?

I've lost 40% of my hearing and it definitely helps me. The source of the sound is closer and I can adjust the volume for both the game sound and the chat.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#39Embo-1Posted 2/8/2013 9:55:33 AM
Let's not forget how incredible they are for horror games.

Playing a good horror with tv speakers = scary

Playing a good horror at night with lights off and alone with tv speakers = terrifiying

Playing a good horror at night with lights off and alone with surround sound headphones = ****ing petrifying!
---
Bolt actions speak louder than words
#40CapwnDPosted 2/8/2013 11:04:14 AM
I have a nice surround sound in my apartment but because I live in an apartment I can't turn the volume up very high. I don't think I could wear a pair of headphone though. They would just make me talk louder and I wouldn't be able to hear my fiance speak of my phone ring or someone knocking on my door. No thanks.

Most of the headphones let you hear your own voice in the headset, so it's not like you're screaming into the mic. It's pretty much as easy as walking, or perhaps tying a shoe.

You don't have to have the sound cranked up. And if you're using good headphones, such as the Sennheiser PC360, they are open air design which doesn't really make it easier to hear the outside world, but they aren't noise canceling like some headphones.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh