This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamefaqs Poll results. Really???

#1dudultimatenessPosted 2/8/2013 12:41:20 AM
I just got done voting in the poll and normally I vote with the majority but when I voted that I wouldn't care at all I was shocked to see there were only 3% of you out there like me. I can't quite catch onto why so many people out there are so obsessed with used games. Is the $10 Gamestop gives you off the next used C.O.D really that big of a deal?

So I'm wondering, do THAT many of you really buy that many used games?

And

If by blocking used games Microsoft can make the price of all new games at most $40 by going completely digital would you still have the same opinion?
---
"Don't focus on da finger or you'll miss all dat heavenry grory"
#2RubMyDuckyPosted 2/8/2013 12:44:27 AM
There are many things wrong with blocking used games and I'm pretty sure it violates customer rights.
---
Optimizations seems to be a arcane art of video games. Few devs are masters of it. Some occasionally stumble upon it. But to most, it's all ancient Greek.
#3Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 12:44:40 AM
I really don't give a single crap about the used game block.

I voted for the closest thing to that (and was also in the minority)... I do buy some used games, but they aren't really that much cheaper in the UK.

I just bought Castlevania: LoS from Amazon (new) for 6. The game costs 7.99 used at my local store.

FC3 new online = 27.99... Used in store = 24.99

Plus all the complaining people do about lack of booklets, scratches etc... Makes me wonder why anyone cares.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#4Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 12:45:37 AM
RubMyDucky posted...
There are many things wrong with blocking used games and I'm pretty sure it violates customer rights.

Ah, yes the random legal knowledge of the random internet browser.

I'm a million percent sure that you are right.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#5dudultimateness(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:48:49 AM
"FC3 new online = 27.99... Used in store = 24.99

Plus all the complaining people do about lack of booklets, scratches etc... Makes me wonder why anyone cares."

That's exactly my point. You hardly ever save more than $10 dollars (at least that's normally the case for me). Meanwhile, Gamestop will buy your completely new game for $10 and sell it back for $55 and we're not supposed to be disgusted by their profits?
---
#6JoboHotepPosted 2/8/2013 12:49:11 AM
dudultimateness posted...
I just got done voting in the poll and normally I vote with the majority but when I voted that I wouldn't care at all I was shocked to see there were only 3% of you out there like me. I can't quite catch onto why so many people out there are so obsessed with used games. Is the $10 Gamestop gives you off the next used C.O.D really that big of a deal?

And

If by blocking used games Microsoft can make the price of all new games at most $40 by going completely digital would you still have the same opinion?

I normally prefer to buy new games (not necessarily at release though), but sometimes I simply can't find an older game I want "new" reasonably.

Great example, I recently went into a Gamestop I'd not been in before, and found a copy of Culcept Saga for $12. Also, found a copy of The Saboteur for $9.

For me, the reduced price isn't why I buy used games, it's generally because I can't find a new copy easily.
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#7staticxtreme5Posted 2/8/2013 12:49:35 AM
I could really care less whether the next consoles block used games or not. I do buy used games from time to time, but I don't really prefer them used. I think people are terrified that new game prices will be ridiculous and stay high price years after release, but I think it would end up being a good thing. I think it could spark a culture change in the price points of games / the amount of sales we see / and the way add ons and DLC are handled. At the end of the day those companies still have to earn your money. They know if they don't give you some incentive to buy game "X" that you probably won't. I truely think it could be a good thing for the gaming industry. Now to prepare my flame shield...
#8Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 12:52:56 AM
JoboHotep posted...
dudultimateness posted...

And

I normally prefer to buy new games (not necessarily at release though), but sometimes I simply can't find an older game I want "new" reasonably.

Great example, I recently went into a Gamestop I'd not been in before, and found a copy of Culcept Saga for $12. Also, found a copy of The Saboteur for $9.

For me, the reduced price isn't why I buy used games, it's generally because I can't find a new copy easily.

Fair.

This is usually when I buy used as well - Lost Odyssey or Nier being the last used game for me... No new copies seemed to exist at that time.

You would hope that if used games were abolished that hard to find games would be easier to find... Although everything seems to be going that way anyway... Amazon has, or can find most games now (compared to 2 years ago).
---
#9pyrokinesis666Posted 2/8/2013 12:53:41 AM
most of my 360 games i bought used when they dropped to 25-35 bucks.

when used gms are still 50, ill just buy new but buying a used game for 30 and saving 30 bucks allows me to get more games.

i also cant buy 20 games at 60 bucks in a year. having a house,car and paying my bills is more important
#10dudultimateness(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:54:45 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
I could really care less whether the next consoles block used games or not. I do buy used games from time to time, but I don't really prefer them used. I think people are terrified that new game prices will be ridiculous and stay high price years after release, but I think it would end up being a good thing. I think it could spark a culture change in the price points of games / the amount of sales we see / and the way add ons and DLC are handled. At the end of the day those companies still have to earn your money. They know if they don't give you some incentive to buy game "X" that you probably won't. I truely think it could be a good thing for the gaming industry. Now to prepare my flame shield...

I agree with you. I think it is a good thing, and that is why I'm so shocked. Basically, all we are doing is cutting out the middle man and that's what this generation has been all about. Those savings will either go towards profits, making a lot of games more likely, or they will be passed on directly to the consumers as cheaper starting prices.
---