This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamefaqs Poll results. Really???

#21memphis12Posted 2/8/2013 3:12:31 AM
JTC87 posted...
I came to the board to see if anyone had posted about this. I buy all my games new, I never buy used games. I like to support developers and not companies (Gamestop) that rip off the consumer. It baffles me that so many people say they wouldn't buy the console, it is people like them that hold back the development of future technologies. If a game is bad enough that you are going to want to sell it, why buy it in the first place? I only buy good games, games that I will never sell. If everyone did this, developers would think twice before rushing out a half assed games because they know people will think twice before buying a crappy game that they cannot sell. A non used game system also pushes digital distribution, if you can never buy a game used and you have to buy new, why not buy it digitally? No waiting in line at the store and dealing with incompetent employees. No, wasted shelf space, switch between games quickly. I feel that no used games consoles would be a good thing and a step in the right direction into the future of video gaming. Plus, if all the console makers did it, it would be a pretty standard thing, either endure it, or don't play video games.

Agreed. There's a small company called Apple, not many have heard of doing it already.. But hush, hush.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#22Arucard05Posted 2/8/2013 3:15:47 AM
I guess people are going to have to be more careful with their money.

Pointless buying a cereal bowl if you can't afford the cereal to go in it.

Or you could just buy a cereal bowl that lets you trade in oatmeal for Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

And yes, I'm aware that analogy makes no sense.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.
#23memphis12Posted 2/8/2013 3:18:37 AM
Arucard05 posted...
I guess people are going to have to be more careful with their money.

Pointless buying a cereal bowl if you can't afford the cereal to go in it.

Or you could just buy a cereal bowl that lets you trade in oatmeal for Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

And yes, I'm aware that analogy makes no sense.

:p
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#24CapwnDPosted 2/8/2013 3:50:00 AM
Gamefaqs Poll

stopped reading there.

Take with a grain of salt.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#25CapwnDPosted 2/8/2013 3:52:11 AM
wtf I just noticed...

*dips my Grape Nuts in Arucard's Cinnamon Toast Crunch
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#26JenniferTatePosted 2/8/2013 4:14:13 AM
If they can offer digital direct with equivalent pricing and sales to sites like Steam or Green Man Gaming, I'd be excited.

I'm curious as to how exactly they'll enforce it in the first place. I know Sony has the technology, but what about Microsoft? And forget gaming, can this apply to movies and music? I wonder if a market for older players and media would flourish.
---
I'm takin' no direction and I walk-a real slow
For the words of oppression are go, go, go
#27dudultimateness(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 4:14:14 AM
JTC87 posted...
I came to the board to see if anyone had posted about this. I buy all my games new, I never buy used games. I like to support developers and not companies (Gamestop) that rip off the consumer. It baffles me that so many people say they wouldn't buy the console, it is people like them that hold back the development of future technologies. If a game is bad enough that you are going to want to sell it, why buy it in the first place? I only buy good games, games that I will never sell. If everyone did this, developers would think twice before rushing out a half assed games because they know people will think twice before buying a crappy game that they cannot sell. A non used game system also pushes digital distribution, if you can never buy a game used and you have to buy new, why not buy it digitally? No waiting in line at the store and dealing with incompetent employees. No, wasted shelf space, switch between games quickly. I feel that no used games consoles would be a good thing and a step in the right direction into the future of video gaming. Plus, if all the console makers did it, it would be a pretty standard thing, either endure it, or don't play video games.

I couldn't agree more with just about everything you said. You missed out that all retailers, not just gamestop, won't get their little cut of the profit now, which would be good.
---
"Don't focus on da finger or you'll miss all dat heavenry grory"
#28656stoogePosted 2/8/2013 4:14:41 AM
How do you buy out of print games TC?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKk-9lPMQZ0
--Car boot and pigeon ****
#29dudultimateness(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 4:23:30 AM
CaPwnD posted...
Gamefaqs Poll

stopped reading there.

Take with a grain of salt.

If this poll was one of the many sample proportions used to get the true proportion and we ended up with just 3% voting that they wouldn't mind, then those numbers are so statistically unlikely that people are in fact weary about new consoles blocking used games.

Of course I know all about response bias, non-response bias, and people who don't answer polls correctly, but even with all that said the results are so overwhelmingly tipped in favor of used games you can at least weakly conclude that there is some truth to the gamefaqs poll.
---
"Don't focus on da finger or you'll miss all dat heavenry grory"
#30SparkItUpPosted 2/8/2013 4:28:00 AM
dudultimateness posted...
I just got done voting in the poll and normally I vote with the majority but when I voted that I wouldn't care at all I was shocked to see there were only 3% of you out there like me. I can't quite catch onto why so many people out there are so obsessed with used games. Is the $10 Gamestop gives you off the next used C.O.D really that big of a deal?

So I'm wondering, do THAT many of you really buy that many used games?

And

If by blocking used games Microsoft can make the price of all new games at most $40 by going completely digital would you still have the same opinion?

People prefer choice over being locked in. It isn't even about Gamestop, it's about venues such as eBay & Amazon where you can get upwards of 75% off of a game that you choose to not get new at full price and it is also about being able to get games that are OOP
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.