This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamefaqs Poll results. Really???

#361john7281Posted 2/8/2013 7:23:21 PM
In regards to Winternova, EA is losing money mostly cause they make crappy games and rush them out every year. If they took the time to make a good game it would help them make money, but they rush stuff out every year cause they are trying to milk the cash cow so to say. If that doesn't make a company greedy then NOBODY in this world is greedy is a point I would make. A bunch of crappy sports games that play like the prior year = less sales, less sales = lower profit, that is exactly what they do.

As someone else stated what would the company do if you buy a game take it home and it says used when you first put it in, they most likely wouldn't give you another copy thinking your lieing to them. So basically the consumer is out money cause of a company's idiocy.

Also eliminating used games will force some places to close doors and put 10's of thousands out of work. This is bad for the economy so again they will do nothing but hurt everyone who isn't rich basically. If you can buy only new games, there is nothing to stop a company from still charging $60 a game, even if beforehand they say they won't do that.

I for one have borrowed a game and let people borrow to help decide if the game is worth buying, I will say unless the game is in the range of $10-20 I will probably rarely buy any games, since I won't say I'm poor but I can't afford to spend a lot of games, just like the average consumer who doesn't have limitless funds.

I'm finding it almost impossible for ANY good to come from this, the more I have read and heard the more it looks like it will hurt the industry more than help.

On another note if the game companies do this, then what is to stop movie companies from making it so you can't watch any movies unless they are new movies, they could really screw up the economy if that happens.
#362SL68Posted 2/8/2013 7:50:13 PM
I like how people, as always, think that rumors=true
#363Spartan_VicePosted 2/8/2013 8:12:28 PM
Honestly the poll is in an essence people who want to bull **** themselves into thinking they have more willpower than they really do. It's the same people who say they won't buy extra content for a game when it should've been made on the disc already, then go out and buy a season pass.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pzq4j.gif
#364MixorzPosted 2/8/2013 8:17:20 PM
It honestly doesn't bother me one little bit. A lot of times used games at GameStop cost more than new games on Amazon. Hell, usually there's only like a $5-$6 difference at GameStop. I think I bought about 7 games last year. One was used only because it was the only copy of that particular game they had.
---
They'll always need men like us. Those who are willing to do what others cannot.
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
#365h23456bcaPosted 2/8/2013 8:27:35 PM
"I'd be okay with it, it's just like PC/PSN/XBLA games today"
---
People say I'm no good, crazy as a loon.
Cause I get stoned in the morning, and drunk in the afternoon.
#366Decon082Posted 2/8/2013 8:30:20 PM
I'm not going to read through the entire topic to see if anyone has mentioned this, but how will these new systems know if games are used or not? Will this entail something like registering the copy of a game to your console so that particular disc or download can only be played on the system it was registered to? Because if it's something like that, then it also means no borrowing games from friends or anything.

Excuse me for not keeping up with what's going on to know about the possible implementation, but I just find it stupid.

Personally, I haven't bought any games in a while. But when I used to buy games, I didn't have any of the newer consoles, so literally my only options were to buy older games Used at a store like GameStop. There simply aren't any new copies of games available for older systems, or even for newer systems more than a year or so after release. Unless you look online and find older sites still trying to sell new GameCube games for $50... What a ripoff.
---
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X boards.
http://www.youtube.com/Decon082/
#367FarplaneDragonPosted 2/8/2013 8:35:02 PM
I'm not going to read through the entire topic to see if anyone has mentioned this, but how will these new systems know if games are used or not? Will this entail something like registering the copy of a game to your console so that particular disc or download can only be played on the system it was registered to? Because if it's something like that, then it also means no borrowing games from friends or anything.

Excuse me for not keeping up with what's going on to know about the possible implementation, but I just find it stupid.

Personally, I haven't bought any games in a while. But when I used to buy games, I didn't have any of the newer consoles, so literally my only options were to buy older games Used at a store like GameStop. There simply aren't any new copies of games available for older systems, or even for newer systems more than a year or so after release. Unless you look online and find older sites still trying to sell new GameCube games for $50... What a ripoff.

Probably access codes like EA did with madden. Get the game new, comes with a code for the online multiplayer, used it doesn't and you have to buy one. Same thing here but it blocks the whole game not just multiplayer.
---
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.
#368SenatorLifestonPosted 2/8/2013 9:00:40 PM
asher1611 posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
RubMyDucky posted...
There are many things wrong with blocking used games and I'm pretty sure it violates customer rights.

Ah, yes the random legal knowledge of the random internet browser.

I'm a million percent sure that you are right.

As someone with actual legal knowledge, I'll just post this:

As a general rule, MS is a private company and can sell and distribute games however it wants.

If it wants to use always on DRM it will likely do so through its xbox live service, and to use that consumers have to agree to the TOS.

Thus, if you're using Live, and you've agreed to the contract, you have consented to being denied use of used games.

It cannot be an unfair and deceptive trade practice when you, as a consumer, agree to the practice itself. There is no violation of consumer rights. Anti-trust? That's another matter entirely, but I doubt it.

As for this, I stated earlier it's now illegal in the EU to deny re-sale of content you've purchased, digital or otherwise. Distribution rights of the copyright holder end when the product is sold to a customer. As this issue comes up in other nations, they'll likely look to the EU as an example.

A link for those curious:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/03/digital-software-reselling
#369The DevourerPosted 2/8/2013 9:04:07 PM
Decon082 posted...

What I've read people have described it as basically an encrypted key that is activated on the disc and once activated it can't be used on another console or even requiring internet to even play a game (anyone who is familiar with PC gaming knows how well that worked with Ubi).
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#370ArtefPosted 2/8/2013 9:13:00 PM
You forget that the used games bit also counts for things like gamefly and any other by mail based game rental company, eventually these types of businesses would be forced to close up if the systems went no used bit etc etc
---
I do not have an explosives problem, I do have the explosives, however it is YOU who have the problem *click*