This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamefaqs Poll results. Really???

#61Asm92784Posted 2/8/2013 5:54:48 AM
To the people saying gamestop only saves you $10 at most, if you have their membership card, you get an extra 10%off, so that $60 new game suddenly becomes a $45 used game, plus you get a Buy 2 get 1 free used game coupon, so suddenly 3 $60 new games that would be $180 total become $90 total used. Even if you factor in the $15 for the cost of the membership that is still only $105, which is a total savings of $75, or more than the cost of 1 new game. Plus they usually do run a buy 2 get 1 free sale on their used products a few times a year without a coupon. So to say that gamestop is a complete rip off and buying used games isn't really saving you much is obviously a lie. I do agree that the amount they give you for trading in a game is usually a little too low, but usually I wait until they are running some type of extra trade in credit offer, which they do regularly, and it usually makes it a much more fair price. And no, I don't work for gamestop, I just usually shop there because it is the only way I can afford my games most of the time, and if you know how to use their system you can come out ahead.
#62nonexistingheroPosted 2/8/2013 5:56:42 AM
memphis12 posted...
I can't remember the last time I bought a used game. I would rather completely support the developer than partially through used games.

People will get over it. Apple seem to be doing just fine & I don't see to many people complaining who purchase games through Steam.

PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO FIND THINGS TO MOAN ABOUT.

That's because games on iDevices are usually dirt cheap (even the more expensive ones don't exceed $20) and Steam has a ton of great deals. You'll be able to get man big releases for like $20 2-3 months after releases.

Of course, for console gaming, you'll be paying $60 per game with hardly any good deals. And because there's no such thing as used games, they won't lower the price either to compete. Yeah, the prices will be lowered at some point, but not as fast or as much as they are now.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#63memphis12Posted 2/8/2013 5:56:46 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
The used games market is part of the reason why gaming grew big so rapidly. A ton of people also buy new games, with the money they get from selling games.

I personally only buy used if it's impossible to get new. But I really wouldn't support a console that forces you to buy everything new. I also speculate games will stay longer at premium prices if you're forced to buy new. I don't buy used games often, but I there's a lot of games I buy new long after it launched. Scoring some great deals that way probably wouldn't be possible anymore. So even as someone that hardly buys used, there's still a lot to lose.

But steam had prices well below hard copy prices & even second hand prices. Bladurs Gate is cheaper on iPad 8.99 and that's digital. I don't understand your point? Cutting out the middle man, we'll get our games (in my opinion) a lot cheaper.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#64DEMONPANDA212Posted 2/8/2013 5:58:39 AM
memphis12 posted...
The used games market is part of the reason why gaming grew big so rapidly. A ton of people also buy new games, with the money they get from selling games.

I personally only buy used if it's impossible to get new. But I really wouldn't support a console that forces you to buy everything new. I also speculate games will stay longer at premium prices if you're forced to buy new. I don't buy used games often, but I there's a lot of games I buy new long after it launched. Scoring some great deals that way probably wouldn't be possible anymore. So even as someone that hardly buys used, there's still a lot to lose.

But steam had prices well below hard copy prices & even second hand prices. Bladurs Gate is cheaper on iPad 8.99 and that's digital. I don't understand your point? Cutting out the middle man, we'll get our games (in my opinion) a lot cheaper.

Or for the exact same price and the devs will get more profit.

The digital version of Fist of a north star 2 or whatever it's called, is 60, 20 more than a physical copy would be, if they existed. But it's online only from what I hear.
#65memphis12Posted 2/8/2013 6:01:49 AM
memphis12 posted...
I can't remember the last time I bought a used game. I would rather completely support the developer than partially through used games.

People will get over it. Apple seem to be doing just fine & I don't see to many people complaining who purchase games through Steam.

PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO FIND THINGS TO MOAN ABOUT.

That's because games on iDevices are usually dirt cheap (even the more expensive ones don't exceed $20) and Steam has a ton of great deals. You'll be able to get man big releases for like $20 2-3 months after releases.

Of course, for console gaming, you'll be paying $60 per game with hardly any good deals. And because there's no such thing as used games, they won't lower the price either to compete. Yeah, the prices will be lowered at some point, but not as fast or as much as they are now.

Any game on "games on demand" are usually cheaper than what I'd pay in a shop.
Because games won't be advertised in shops, they will have to be more competitive in their prices.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#66BingSanpaoPosted 2/8/2013 6:08:09 AM
memphis12 posted...

There's slight difference between price fixing on these platforms and GoD or PSN.
#67JP_GXPPosted 2/8/2013 6:08:19 AM
Gamefly and Redbox come to mind. It's not just Gamestop with used games, I don't mind buying a game I know I'll like for $60, but if for some reason I don't, I'm stuck with it with no way to sell it, Ebay, pawn shop, friends, Gamestop, etc. I use Gamefly and Redbox to test most games before I buy them.
---
PSN - JP_GXP
#68scoobydoobydontPosted 2/8/2013 6:23:29 AM
JP_GXP posted...
Gamefly and Redbox come to mind. It's not just Gamestop with used games, I don't mind buying a game I know I'll like for $60, but if for some reason I don't, I'm stuck with it with no way to sell it, Ebay, pawn shop, friends, Gamestop, etc. I use Gamefly and Redbox to test most games before I buy them.

The system is in place right now to generate codes on demand for all manner of things on XBL and PSN, what makes you think they won't have one use codes to reauthenticate a rental (if they care to)? What makes you think they won't have digital rental service over Live itself? Or maybe even streaming rental?
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#69JKSonicPosted 2/8/2013 6:31:50 AM
Games aren't cheaper digital now and they should be. Yes on Steam there's sales but even on Steam they release at retail prices. And routinely GamesOnDemand are priced ABOVE what games are going for on average at retail.

Wake up ya'll. There's so many arguments in this thread that are just flat out "what if's" and time and time again we've been screwed by "what if's".
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#70JP_GXPPosted 2/8/2013 6:38:15 AM(edited)
I'd be fine with digital/streamed rentals, hell the 1 hour full game trials on PSN are normally enough to help me decide but they don't have one for every game. Everything is pure speculation right now anyway, we'll find out the truth in within a couple of months.

I plan on getting both the PS4 and nextbox regardless, block or not, I'll probably pick up another Wii U eventually too.
---
PSN - JP_GXP