This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i will give a speech about the effects of violent games and games being an art..

#1FFTHEWINNERPosted 2/8/2013 5:58:19 AM(edited)
80/80

i will give said speech in my local church(most the attendants will be in their 20s btw) about a month from now and i would my brothers and regulars on the 360 board to help me a bit by suggesting somethings to mention/analyse/some facts/some statistics/etc. basically,i am looking for suggestions on what to put in these paragraphs :).

it will most likely be composed of the the following parts:

intorduction{mention the shootings)

history of violent video games(Texas chainsow massacre,MK,Doom)

The claimed "bad effects of violent video games"(makes you a killer)

is it true or not(esrb,history)

The positive effects of violent games(relive stress,escapism)

Games have become an art(strong stories,an analysis of the Hanako video from Katawa Shoujo)

closing words

some important notes:

1:pls dont mark this as off topic. it might be off topic but it will help me defend our beloved hobby and i posted here bc i trust the regulars here and i believe they trust me as well :).

2:If you have many important advices then pls,in addition to posting them ITT,pm them to me in case someone decided to mark this topic i will still be able to read what you said :).

3:if you think i should add/remove/change paragraph/s pls explain why :).

4:I would like of some posters here *looks at Winternova* to not turn this into a religious war ;).

5:The time given to me to give the speech is an hour.

6:i will post my full study here after i present it and post what they thought of it :D.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#2Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 5:20:13 AM
I advocate not pumping up the horror stories / awesome side of games.

Keep it neutral, and present the facts you have with some different viewpoints (non-sensationalist ones).
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#3Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 5:22:19 AM
I'm also not really sure on mentioning the whole games are art thing.

It's a bit naff, and pretentious, and could do disservice to your argument that games are unlikely to provoke extreme reactions.

I also disagree with it. But I disagree that TV or movies are art. And most paintings / graffiti / building / a whole bunch of other stuff. Seriously I sometimes hate the word art.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#4ZeraphLordSPosted 2/8/2013 5:25:31 AM
double dots in a 80/80
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#5FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 5:30:53 AM
Banana_Mana posted...

Keep it neutral, and present the facts you have with some different viewpoints (non-sensationalist ones)

It's a bit naff, and pretentious, and could do disservice to your argument that games are unlikely to provoke extreme reactions..

i am not sure that get what you mean by these. can you pls explain(and in normal english,since english isnt my first language so i didnt get what you mean b"a bit naff and pretentious" >_>).
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#6CaseyJonezPosted 2/8/2013 5:31:45 AM
You'll have a tough time convincing people of the positive effects of violence through any medium. I wouldn't spend too much time on that one. Why not focus on the claimed vs recognized negative effects of video games?
---
Signature pending mod approval.
#7SparkItUpPosted 2/8/2013 5:33:20 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
80/80

i will give said speech in my local church about a month from now and i would my brothers and regulars on the 360 board to help me a bit by suggesting somethings to mention/analyse/some facts/some statistics/etc. basically,i am looking for suggestions on what to put in these paragraphs :).

it will most likely be composed of the the following parts:

intorduction{mention the shootings)

history of violent video games(Texas chainsow massacre,MK,Doom)

The claimed "bad effects of violent video games"(makes you a killer)

is it true or not(esrb,history)

The positive effects of violent games(relive stress,escapism)

Games have become an art(strong stories,an analysis of the Hanako video from Katawa Shoujo)

closing words

some important notes:

1:pls dont mark this as off topic. it might be off topic but it will help me defend our beloved hobby and i posted here bc i trust the regulars here and i believe they trust me as well :).

2:If you have many important advices then pls,in addition to posting them ITT,pm them to me in case someone decided to mark this topic i will still be able to read what you said :).

3:if you think i should add/remove/change paragraph/s pls explain why :).

4:I would like of some posters here *looks at Winternova* to not turn this into a religious war ;).

5:i will post my full study here after i present it and post what they thought of it :D.

You should mention that more people have been killed in the name of religion, than in the name of video games...then ask how the effects of violence in religion have shaped mankind.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#8Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 5:34:16 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
Banana_Mana posted...

Keep it neutral, and present the facts you have with some different viewpoints (non-sensationalist ones)

It's a bit naff, and pretentious, and could do disservice to your argument that games are unlikely to provoke extreme reactions..

i am not sure that get what you mean by these. can you pls explain(and in normal english,since english isnt my first language so i didnt get what you mean b"a bit naff and pretentious" >_>).

Naff and pretentious was a bit strong / harsh.

I just mean if you are presenting an argument on why games are not the problem - it would be better given from a neutral standpoint, and your argument seems solid until the end where you talk about games as being something special (art)...

To me it's a bit much, and if your audience is like I think it will be... It may not go down so well.

But, it's up to you!

I pm'ed some other suggestions. :)
---
#9Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 5:35:07 AM
CaseyJonez posted...
You'll have a tough time convincing people of the positive effects of violence through any medium. I wouldn't spend too much time on that one. Why not focus on the claimed vs recognized negative effects of video games?

Yeah. Keep it neutral, and back it up with evidence where possible.
---
#10liam_000Posted 2/8/2013 5:36:30 AM(edited)
SparkItUp posted...

You should mention that more people have been killed in the name of religion, than in the name of video games...then ask how the effects of violence in religion have shaped mankind.

LOL this. You might as well advocate guns in this discussion as well.

Guns don't kill people. Religion does!!
---
gamertag; OozyCrayfish
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the whole ******* world.