This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i will give a speech about the effects of violent games and games being an art..

#31ZosKiaCultusPosted 2/8/2013 8:49:13 AM
80/80

No
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#32pakathecatPosted 2/8/2013 8:57:11 AM
On the positive effects, you could think about bringing up my own hypothesis, though I have no stats and there are no studies out there on it that I'm aware of. However, I think it makes sense.

This being, that as far as these occasional outbreaks of serious violence go, the existence of games and gaming communities may be more helpful than harmful, all other things in our culture being equal. What I suspect is that some individuals who have serious issues-- mental illnesses, extreme social awkwardness, and such (though this would only apply to a very small % of such individuals of course)-- who may have otherwise have gone off have refrained from doing so as they have found acceptance in and purpose from gaming and gaming communities.

Games give them something to look forward to, a way to interact for those who may be otherwise completely isolated from society, a way to channel destructive tendencies and resentment towards pixels rather than it building up inside and eventually exploding. It is a refuge, a place where they can belong. That, even if violent games have been a minor contributing factor in the actions of unstable individuals who would have probably done the same things anyways, they may have on the whole defused more such situations than we realize.
#33SparkItUpPosted 2/8/2013 9:04:07 AM(edited)
TC, when you add extra and unnecessary punctuation, you do not get credit for it being 80/80.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#34Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 9:09:59 AM
SparkItUp posted...
TC, when you add extra and unnecessary punctuation, you do not get credit for it being 80/80.

This does not matter at all.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#35Banana_ManaPosted 2/8/2013 9:13:11 AM
memphis12 posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
SparkItUp posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
80/80

i will give said speech in my local church about a month from now and i would my brothers and regulars on the 360 board to help me a bit by suggesting somethings to mention/analyse/some facts/some statistics/etc. basically,i am looking for suggestions on what to put in these paragraphs :).

it will most likely be composed of the the following parts:

intorduction{mention the shootings)

history of violent video games(Texas chainsow massacre,MK,Doom)

The claimed "bad effects of violent video games"(makes you a killer)

is it true or not(esrb,history)

The positive effects of violent games(relive stress,escapism)

Games have become an art(strong stories,an analysis of the Hanako video from Katawa Shoujo)

closing words

some important notes:

1:pls dont mark this as off topic. it might be off topic but it will help me defend our beloved hobby and i posted here bc i trust the regulars here and i believe they trust me as well :).

2:If you have many important advices then pls,in addition to posting them ITT,pm them to me in case someone decided to mark this topic i will still be able to read what you said :).

3:if you think i should add/remove/change paragraph/s pls explain why :).

4:I would like of some posters here *looks at Winternova* to not turn this into a religious war ;).

5:i will post my full study here after i present it and post what they thought of it :D.

You should mention that more people have been killed in the name of religion, than in the name of video games...then ask how the effects of violence in religion have shaped mankind.

Also don't listen to this guy.

Although, you probably already knew not to. :)

Ahem... Lady*

Really?

My apologies.

Not for being a lady... But... Uh...

Anyway.

Topic: Continue.

*hides*
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#36WinternovaPosted 2/8/2013 9:22:10 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
i will give said speech in my local church

People in a church aren't going to be able to handle a rational, well-reasoned argument. You better just go in there and make wild claims about talking donkeys and bears attacking children for bullying a bald man playing a video game...it'll be more well-received.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#37memphis12Posted 2/8/2013 9:22:35 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
memphis12 posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
SparkItUp posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
80/80

i will give said speech in my local church about a month from now and i would my brothers and regulars on the 360 board to help me a bit by suggesting somethings to mention/analyse/some facts/some statistics/etc. basically,i am looking for suggestions on what to put in these paragraphs :).

it will most likely be composed of the the following parts:

intorduction{mention the shootings)

history of violent video games(Texas chainsow massacre,MK,Doom)

The claimed "bad effects of violent video games"(makes you a killer)

is it true or not(esrb,history)

The positive effects of violent games(relive stress,escapism)

Games have become an art(strong stories,an analysis of the Hanako video from Katawa Shoujo)

closing words

some important notes:

1:pls dont mark this as off topic. it might be off topic but it will help me defend our beloved hobby and i posted here bc i trust the regulars here and i believe they trust me as well :).

2:If you have many important advices then pls,in addition to posting them ITT,pm them to me in case someone decided to mark this topic i will still be able to read what you said :).

3:if you think i should add/remove/change paragraph/s pls explain why :).

4:I would like of some posters here *looks at Winternova* to not turn this into a religious war ;).

5:i will post my full study here after i present it and post what they thought of it :D.

You should mention that more people have been killed in the name of religion, than in the name of video games...then ask how the effects of violence in religion have shaped mankind.

Also don't listen to this guy.

Although, you probably already knew not to. :)

Ahem... Lady*

Really?

My apologies.

Not for being a lady... But... Uh...

Anyway.

Topic: Continue.

*hides*

I prefer tag to hide & seek, but I'm easy (ahem)

But, erm.. Yeah .. Sparks a Lady :p
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#38FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 9:35:12 AM
Winternova posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...

People in a church aren't going to be able to handle a rational, well-reasoned argument. You better just go in there and make wild claims about talking donkeys and bears attacking children for bullying a bald man playing a video game...it'll be more well-received.

pls read note 4 of op:)
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#39SparkItUpPosted 2/8/2013 9:38:14 AM
Winternova posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...

That...was hilarious...

Winter, while I laughed, please, not before noon. I am still drinking coffee and I barely was able to swallow it in time.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#40WinternovaPosted 2/8/2013 9:48:47 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
Winternova posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...

pls read note 4 of op:)

I read it and promptly ignored it.

Read your private message. :-)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)