This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i will give a speech about the effects of violent games and games being an art..

#41reseacher2000Posted 2/8/2013 9:54:58 AM
You guys give Atheists a bad name...

I'm disappointed. =(
---
GT:gansterchief
#42WinternovaPosted 2/8/2013 9:56:11 AM
reseacher2000 posted...

I'm disappointed. =(

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about me.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#43SparkItUpPosted 2/8/2013 10:01:54 AM
Winternova posted...
reseacher2000 posted...

I'm disappointed. =(

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about me.

^ this to a certain extent. I care what my bf thinks, parents, employer (includes some friends & family)and friends (even this to a certain extent)....but random people on a message board not so much. People that I want to really know me on these boards know me enough to know my character. I'm not here to impress loddy doddy everybody.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#44FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:56:18 AM
pakathecat posted...
On the positive effects, you could think about bringing up my own hypothesis, though I have no stats and there are no studies out there on it that I'm aware of. However, I think it makes sense.

This being, that as far as these occasional outbreaks of serious violence go, the existence of games and gaming communities may be more helpful than harmful, all other things in our culture being equal. What I suspect is that some individuals who have serious issues-- mental illnesses, extreme social awkwardness, and such (though this would only apply to a very small % of such individuals of course)-- who may have otherwise have gone off have refrained from doing so as they have found acceptance in and purpose from gaming and gaming communities.

Games give them something to look forward to, a way to interact for those who may be otherwise completely isolated from society, a way to channel destructive tendencies and resentment towards pixels rather than it building up inside and eventually exploding. It is a refuge, a place where they can belong. That, even if violent games have been a minor contributing factor in the actions of unstable individuals who would have probably done the same things anyways, they may have on the whole defused more such situations than we realize.

i planned to mention that. It is a great idea :).
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#45gabriusPosted 2/8/2013 12:22:11 PM
Winternova posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
i will give said speech in my local church

People in a church aren't going to be able to handle a rational, well-reasoned argument. You better just go in there and make wild claims about talking donkeys and bears attacking children for bullying a bald man playing a video game...it'll be more well-received.

Broad stereotypes are always fun, aren't they?

....I've heard some doozies about lawyers in my time, those must all be true too, right?
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#46FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 1:44:27 PM
Bump.
---
#47GameFAQs_loverPosted 2/8/2013 3:39:13 PM
Banana_Mana posted...
CaseyJonez posted...
You'll have a tough time convincing people of the positive effects of violence through any medium. I wouldn't spend too much time on that one. Why not focus on the claimed vs recognized negative effects of video games?

Yeah. Keep it neutral, and back it up with evidence where possible.

this.
---
^^Hey!eyes up here pal^^
#48Banana_ManaPosted 2/9/2013 3:35:03 AM
pakathecat posted...
On the positive effects, you could think about bringing up my own hypothesis, though I have no stats and there are no studies out there on it that I'm aware of. However, I think it makes sense.

This being, that as far as these occasional outbreaks of serious violence go, the existence of games and gaming communities may be more helpful than harmful, all other things in our culture being equal. What I suspect is that some individuals who have serious issues-- mental illnesses, extreme social awkwardness, and such (though this would only apply to a very small % of such individuals of course)-- who may have otherwise have gone off have refrained from doing so as they have found acceptance in and purpose from gaming and gaming communities.

Games give them something to look forward to, a way to interact for those who may be otherwise completely isolated from society, a way to channel destructive tendencies and resentment towards pixels rather than it building up inside and eventually exploding. It is a refuge, a place where they can belong. That, even if violent games have been a minor contributing factor in the actions of unstable individuals who would have probably done the same things anyways, they may have on the whole defused more such situations than we realize.

Good advice - a lot of emphasis is put on the calming effects of a beer or two, or physical exertion... Why can't videogames be seen as a calming influence after a stressful day - they certainly help me in this way.

Same with escapism - much better (and less realistically violent) than a soap opera, or crime drama series. And those are heaped with praise and attention, yet never blamed.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#49SparkItUpPosted 2/9/2013 5:39:52 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
Winternova posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
i will give said speech in my local church

People in a church aren't going to be able to handle a rational, well-reasoned argument. You better just go in there and make wild claims about talking donkeys and bears attacking children for bullying a bald man playing a video game...it'll be more well-received.

pls read note 4 of op:)

kinda funny TC , you are the one attacking him , yet you don't want him to "attack" you...
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#50FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 6:55:18 AM
IWU posted...
List some of the known benefits to video games. Such as a higher hand/eye coordination skill, better team cooperation skills, better problem solving skills, increased vocabulary, and better hand dexterity.

This was actually VERY helpful. Thanks :D.
---