This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wonder is MS and the "buy new only" people even realize...

#5195_EclipsePosted 2/10/2013 12:57:15 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
That's the dumbest assessment I've ever heard. Games today are relatively way cheaper than they used to be and they also cost about 100 times more to develop. Just because you're poor that does not mean games are overpriced.

You didn't have to surrender like that, you could have just not replied.

I know you already gave up but here is a couple of notes :

PC games cost less, even in disc form, and those companies are alright.

Companies still make huge profits off of games at their current price with used games. Its all in the quality of game and advertising.

Only companies that have flooded the market with a bunch of crap games and only a few decent ones have failed, or small companies that released a bad game.

In case this confuses you, calling someone you have never met, have no idea where they live or what they do poor, is equivalent to raising a white flag.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#52Mako_eyesPosted 2/10/2013 1:08:22 PM(edited)
That's the dumbest assessment I've ever heard. Games today are relatively way cheaper than they used to be and they also cost about 100 times more to develop.

Games also sell more than back then. 20 years ago there was like probably like 50-70 million current gen consoles sold, now there are almost 250 millions sold if you combine Wii, Xbox, and PS3.

Besides prices were higher because games were on cartridge and not on disc.

And prices were lowest in PSX era (excluding N64). Today a new games costs more than a new game for PSX cost.
#53DesperateMonkeyPosted 2/10/2013 1:09:03 PM(edited)
Quote:DesperateMonkey posted...
That's the dumbest assessment I've ever heard. Games today are relatively way cheaper than they used to be and they also cost about 100 times more to develop. Just because you're poor that does not mean games are overpriced.

You didn't have to surrender like that, you could have just not replied.

I know you already gave up but here is a couple of notes :

PC games cost less, even in disc form, and those companies are alright.
Which companies are alright? PC games have almost all turned into MMO's or indie games. Outside of that the rest are console ports. Crisis wanted to be a PC exclusive developer and spent a crap load of money making a PC game and even at the tune of 3 million sales did still went off to consuls because they did not deem it a success...

Companies still make huge profits off of games at their current price with used games. Its all in the quality of game and advertising.

Wow talk about naïve. You're saying dark siders failed because it was not a quality game ? You're saying links crossbow training was a success because it was a quality game ?

Only companies that have flooded the market with a bunch of crap games and only a few decent ones have failed, or small companies that released a bad game.

Nintendo's games are mostly shovel ware and they sell 50% of all we games. Tons of developers have found a market in making bad games that sekl to enough unsuspecting casuals to be profitable.

In case this confuses you, calling someone you have never met, have no idea where they live or what they do poor, is equivalent to raising a white flag.

No you pretty much just pulled that out of your ass. You're crying about how expensive games are in an age when games are roughly valued at half the price they used to be and when development costs have skyrocketed through the roof.
@95_Eclipse

I have no idea why you thought it would help you to bring PCs into this argument. The poor sales performance of PC games is pretty much why they no longer get any developer attention and only can get shoddy ports.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#54DesperateMonkeyPosted 2/10/2013 1:14:25 PM
That's the dumbest assessment I've ever heard. Games today are relatively way cheaper than they used to be and they also cost about 100 times more to develop.

Games also sell more than back then. 20 years ago there was like probably like 50-70 million current gen consoles sold, now there are almost 250 millions sold if you combine Wii, Xbox, and PS3.

And prices were lowest in PSX era (excluding N64). Today a new games costs more than a new game for PSX cost.

@Mako_eyes
$60 today is less than $40 in 1994. In that time the minimum wage has gone from $6.50 to $10 an hour. The average income during that period has also grown by roughly 35%...
---
#55MertensCWPosted 2/10/2013 1:39:07 PM
95_Eclipse posted...

Yeah those greedy big companies who are closing down because people think everything should cost less than $10 because of the new angry birds standard.

Name me a big company that has a lot of good games that has closed down.

@95_Eclipse

THQ.......

They didn't have many for a long time now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games

Here was their last 10 games.

Darksiders II
Nexuiz
Nicktoons: The Lost Flower of Dreams
Nicktoons All Stars Party
SpongeBob U Pants
WWE '13
de Blob 2
Homefront
Hugo Cabret
Kung Fu Panda 2

Wasn't looking much better the 10 before that. They released a bunch of crap with a few good games and it killed them. THQ was a good company back in the day, but they fell off big time.

Want to try again?

Yikes, No wonder they went under. Too much garbage.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#56Mako_eyesPosted 2/10/2013 1:50:20 PM

@Mako_eyes
$60 today is less than $40 in 1994.

That's irrelevant. It's as much less for everyone, not just to the developer and publisher.

And average income is also irrelevant because it's just a sum / amount = average, which means the result is distorted by very uneven distribution of wages. If you want accurate average spending power, you have to use median income.
#57googlerPosted 2/10/2013 2:01:14 PM
Honestly this should be something that the big companies sit down and work out like adults with the biggest hitters in the used game market. They both very much need each other - Gamestop especially to survive so if they worked out a loyalty program then I think everyone will win. The console companies have to hit the consumers with this BS because they know they can't legally do anything against the stores selling used, which is just going to blow up in their face very fast and for a very long time.

Gamestop would still make more than enough of a profit selling a used game compared to their pathetic buy-back prices that they could afford to give the industry a 25% cut of all used sales, which is better than the nothing gamestop would make from NO used sales and better than the loss in total sales or a totally loss if used sales continue.
#58DesperateMonkeyPosted 2/10/2013 2:10:22 PM
Go ahead and find the median income Then. I also like to see how you are going to make the case that today's games are more expensive than that of 1994. Finding the median income is not extremely accurate either Nor will it add just enough for you to find evidence that current generation games are more expensive in comparison to the average consumer.

In fact increasing sales indicates that games today are cheaper than ever compared to the Average consumer. From an economic standpoint list development studios should be taking such high risks in their game development process. The closing down of these developments studios As well as the increase for you in both console and game sales would indicate that games are underappreciated in value.
---
#59RisingWaterPosted 2/10/2013 2:23:15 PM
Dunno what will happen here but I have no sympathy for Gamestop.