This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

67% Republicans believe we gamers are one of nations biggest threats

#71SythisTaruPosted 2/8/2013 10:47:19 PM
I'm republican, and I care more about gaming than you.
#72xChaosLordxPosted 2/8/2013 10:50:21 PM
I voted for Mitt Romney and I like gaming, and guns. Phear me!
#73SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 11:05:28 PM(edited)
In this British comedy, Yes Prime Minister, the civil servant explains how to get a poll to say exactly what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#74randomweirdoPosted 2/8/2013 11:30:44 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
randomweirdo posted...
nothingbeast posted...
how exactly were they cherry picking?

Anytime you limit the audience of a poll it's cherry picking. Yeah, the poll tells us what the republicans think (or rather what a small percent of the republican base who still have phone numbers that aren't on the do-not-call list think) but something like this should be asking "what does America think".

Someone wanted a poll to make video gamers sound bad and they got it. Perhaps they knew the poll wouldn't have been so damning if they had just phoned the country at random.

Do you know nothing about how research is done? Proper research is done by picking a group of people randomly for whatever research is being done. That is because it is normally impossible to truly research every person in a group. For instance, here they wanted to poll Republicans. They could probably get a listing, but that listing would likely have out of date information, there will be people who have asked to not be contacted by third parties, people who will refuse to answer, people who will just not answer (not at home for a phone call, don't get an email), and so on.

Picking a group at random is not cherry picking as long as it is random selection. Cherry picking means that they purposely picked people who were more likely to respond in a way that would show whatever results they wish to show. Or they tossed out results that didn't go along with what they wanted to show. An example of cherry picking would be standing outside Gamestop and randomly doing this poll. That would give results biased towards games.

Polls =/= proper research.

Where and when you take the poll can greatly influence the results, the people creating the polls know this, and act accordingly, thus tailoring the results to say whatever they want.

Depending on the method used, it can actually be used in research, though it is not the best method to use depending on what is being studied. Polls and surveys are used to gather information and random selection is an ideal way to get an idea of what the average person in a group feels. However, the point of my response was that anything of this nature is not going to have a response from every person who is part of that group. That is impossible. It is not cherry picking to poll 1000 random republicans. The key word though is random. It is cherry picking to pick a group more or less likely to respond in a certain way and make the results biased towards the result you want.
#75JenniferTatePosted 2/8/2013 11:55:23 PM
nazacuckoo posted...
Some might take this the wrong way but......
I'm glad I live in Europe.

As an American, I'm glad I grew up in Europe and later moved to Canada.
---
I'm takin' no direction and I walk-a real slow
For the words of oppression are go, go, go
#76WinternovaPosted 2/8/2013 11:57:32 PM
shawnmck posted...
Meanwhile, the Democrats want actual legislation enforced, whereas the Republicans want parents to be more responsible.
It's not even close.

Leland Yee. Arnold Schwartzenegger.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#77mastahjebusPosted 2/9/2013 12:14:09 AM
Update: As pointed out in comments, 72% of respondents to that poll are older than 45. Also, only Republican voters were asked the video games question, which might explain these breakdowns.

If you take the TC's word for this without reading this crucial update, you're part of what's wrong with today's society. Nobody ****ing believes in looking at things thoroughly.

From this, I gather two things:

Older generations can be problematic because of what we're doing and because of what we find socially acceptable. The same is true for the older generations when they were younger. The only difference is that they're are more of them, and they're living longer, so they have more influence on our culture.

Many Republicans are just as selective as Democrats when it comes to the Constitution (and in recent times, the Bill of Rights). As someone who generally votes republican, I'm going to keep my AR-15, I will not register it with my state, I will keep my high capacity magazines, I will keep a sickening amount of ammunition. Why? Because I have the right to defend myself, my family, and I will not be disarmed. I abide by my 2nd amendment. Will I call for a change in the media? **** no. I want to play my bloody, gruesome, violent video games. Publishers have every right to make them, and we have every right to play them (or not). 1st Amendment. Hell, I could burn my bible in a fire and pray to the Giant Spaghetti Monster, then go marry a bunch of dudes and post-op dudettes because of the 1st amendment. I may not do these things, but I enjoy my freedom to do so.
---
"Your" = Possession | "You're" = You Are | "Their" = Possession | "They're" = They Are | "There" = Position
#78SparkItUpPosted 2/9/2013 5:16:45 AM(edited)
mastahjebus posted...
Update: As pointed out in comments, 72% of respondents to that poll are older than 45. Also, only Republican voters were asked the video games question, which might explain these breakdowns.

If you take the TC's word for this without reading this crucial update, you're part of what's wrong with today's society. Nobody ****ing believes in looking at things thoroughly.

From this, I gather two things:

Older generations can be problematic because of what we're doing and because of what we find socially acceptable. The same is true for the older generations when they were younger. The only difference is that they're are more of them, and they're living longer, so they have more influence on our culture.

Many Republicans are just as selective as Democrats when it comes to the Constitution (and in recent times, the Bill of Rights). As someone who generally votes republican, I'm going to keep my AR-15, I will not register it with my state, I will keep my high capacity magazines, I will keep a sickening amount of ammunition. Why? Because I have the right to defend myself, my family, and I will not be disarmed. I abide by my 2nd amendment. Will I call for a change in the media? **** no. I want to play my bloody, gruesome, violent video games. Publishers have every right to make them, and we have every right to play them (or not). 1st Amendment. Hell, I could burn my bible in a fire and pray to the Giant Spaghetti Monster, then go marry a bunch of dudes and post-op dudettes because of the 1st amendment. I may not do these things, but I enjoy my freedom to do so.

In your own words, you are what is wrong with society since you have not clearly understood what an assault weapons ban would mean. It would simply mean that manufacturers cannot produce the weapon anymore (same with high capacity magazines if they get banned). It does not mean you have to turn your weapon in or that you cannot sell it. It simply means they cannot be sold by retailers or be produced by the manufacturer for the public. Those that own the weapons would be grandfathered into the law meaning they keep their weapons and can sell them privately.

Also, why would you be afraid of having to register them? It's no different than having to register a handgun. Do you seriously believe that the government is coming for your gun? Considering the weaponry they have at their disposal, your gun is the least of their concerns should there ever be a domestic insurrection. Your little AR-15 really isn't going to make them shiver their britches. They like most people realize people that own them simply are playing GI Joe and really are no threat. They just want to know who the cooky people are and aren't. I also think in order to own such a destructive weapon, people should have to undergo a mental evaluation and have a weapons safe.

In the 2nd amendment (which is really debatable as far as it's meaning), yes it says you have the right to a firearm, however, the 2nd amendment does not prevent the government from regulating what firearms you can have, or what type of ammunition and what laws they can or cannot enact for you to get that firearm. The Supreme Court itself (even it's most conservative members) have ruled this as well.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#79UnicornTamer1Posted 2/9/2013 5:37:55 AM

What the hell are you defending your family from that you need an AR-15? Maybe you should move some place safer. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people owning guns, but you're lying if you say you need one for self-defence
---
Master of Gnomes, Keeper of Secrets
Fluttershy's #1 Fan
#80SparkItUpPosted 2/9/2013 5:44:05 AM(edited)
UnicornTamer1 posted...

What the hell are you defending your family from that you need an AR-15? Maybe you should move some place safer. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people owning guns, but you're lying if you say you need one for self-defence

Exactly, especially considering it is an offensive weapon in nature. Maybe he is one of those nuts that sees the UN armored vehicles coming over the horizon.

Considering an aggressor is going to be inside the home, a shotgun would be more effective. An AR-15 is more of a "reach out" and touch someone weapon (again, more of an offensive type of weapon). It's just a big boy toy to make military wannabes feel "empowered".
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.