This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much have number of staff on a game increased from now and last generation?

#1HerrxPosted 2/8/2013 2:26:24 PM
How much bigger have the development teams gotten from the PS2 era and to the current generation and how much do you think it will increase during the next generation?
---
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine - Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca
#2SunDevil77Posted 2/8/2013 2:41:27 PM
I heard Dante's Inferno had a pretty sizable staff.

Pun in-freakin'-tended.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#3vigorm0rtisPosted 2/8/2013 2:42:27 PM
What's the Dante's Inferno hangup lately? It seems to be spreading.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#4SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 2:51:49 PM
One way to look at it is in man years.

Current gen: ~300 man years. Could be 300 for a year like Assassin's Creed, or 50-150 people for 2-5 years.

PS2/Xbox: 50-150 man years.

SNES: ~20 man years.

Early 80's: 2-4 man years.

Bear in mind each man year costs more as time goes on, due to cost of living raises etc. I think PS4/720 will be a little higher but not as big a leap as previous cycles.

These are ballpark estimates, there is of course wide variance, and people may say this or that figure should be higher or lower, but that's the gist of it. As mentioned in other threads these increased costs have generally not been passed on to gamers.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#5Herrx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 3:07:40 PM
What i'm after is, that how can we develop bigger games and huge AAA titles with 5 times better graphic both ingame and in cutscene than this generation and not have an increase in development staff and production cost. A game like Resident Evil 6 had a development team of 600 people and so did Assassins Creed 3. There is no way that the next generation will have bigger development teams and larger cost, so how can they be better than everything. I actually think that we with the biggest titles this generation have peaked in visual qualities and production value. Sure the visuals will be sharper and at a higher resolution than now, but how can you expect a leap like from PS2 era till now. That would 10 double the current budgets, which with most AAA titles now is at 80-100 millions dollars. How should that be possible?
---
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine - Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca
#6SheepinatorPosted 2/8/2013 3:17:16 PM
Herrx posted...
What i'm after is, that how can we develop bigger games and huge AAA titles with 5 times better graphic

You've hit upon the core issue facing console games, the rising costs and how to deal with them. One of the publishers solutions is to try and increase the ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) by offering mostly fluff to those who want it, and regular DLC which is cheaper to make and keeps some of the team busy while a new game ramps up development.

Better graphics doesn't necessarily mean a huge budget increase. Characters are probably modeled at high res anyway then reduced (think of ZBrush and normal maps). Textures can be created at 1080p then reduced and compressed as needed without massively increasing the time required to create them. A 10-level game doesn't need more designers and programmers just because the graphics are better. You could take current gen with 1080p targeted textures, up the frame rate for free, increase the draw distance for free, throw in some additional special effects (handful of programmers/artists), there you have better graphics without spending another $50M.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#7SunDevil77Posted 2/8/2013 3:17:35 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
What's the Dante's Inferno hangup lately? It seems to be spreading.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360?search=dante%27s+inferno

^ That is why.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#8vigorm0rtisPosted 2/8/2013 3:20:47 PM
SunDevil77 posted...

^ That is why.

Ha! How the hell did I miss that?
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#9Herrx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 3:32:51 PM
SunDevil77 I thought you were able to keep your sarcastic cool. Now you have uncovered yourself. I'm dissapointed in you, because your answer actually gave me a few laughs
---
#10SunDevil77Posted 2/8/2013 3:35:10 PM
Baby come back.

You can blame it all on me.
---