This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamestop chimes in on used-game blocking consoles

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 2/8/2013 7:06:23 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/gamestop-warns-microsoft-on-rumored-used-game-blocking-console/
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 2/8/2013 7:09:42 PM
Meh... used games are their cheaply gained bread and butter. Of course they're gonna say that.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3The DevourerPosted 2/8/2013 7:11:06 PM
Whether that's their business or not, it's common sense really. Look at the forums. Ask any random person about it. With how much money Gamestop makes from used games it's obvious it would hurt anyone who put out a console that didn't allow it.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#4vigorm0rtisPosted 2/8/2013 7:20:16 PM
The Devourer posted...
Whether that's their business or not, it's common sense really. Look at the forums. Ask any random person about it. With how much money Gamestop makes from used games it's obvious it would hurt anyone who put out a console that didn't allow it.

That's why I don't think it'll happen. For instance, I have no brand loyalty, and although I don't buy used games, if MS did this and Sony didn't, I'd buy a Playstation next gen. No one side is going to take this step alone.

That said, a lot of people say a lot of crap on forums. They'll buy what console makers decide to sell them, in the end.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#5Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 7:42:42 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
The Devourer posted...

That's why I don't think it'll happen. For instance, I have no brand loyalty, and although I don't buy used games, if MS did this and Sony didn't, I'd buy a Playstation next gen. No one side is going to take this step alone.

That said, a lot of people say a lot of crap on forums. They'll buy what console makers decide to sell them, in the end.

I think they're feeling one another out.
If one does it the other will, and vice versa.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#6darkharePosted 2/8/2013 7:45:19 PM
i honestly feel that if its going to be done, its going to slowly be done throughout the consoles life cycle not all at once. look at how they've integrated download content and now micro-transactions, gamers would have been throwing their consoles out of windows if Ms suddenly integrated this into every game, instead they did it in small steps and many gamers defend it.
---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#7The DevourerPosted 2/8/2013 7:54:16 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
The Devourer posted...

Faulty logic. Anyone smart with any ounce of business knowledge would not block used games and push that the very second the other announced they would block them. Why? Because used games are a big market. Obviously. And any system that allowed them would instantly have more people on it and therefore more money to be made on it, ultimately. By not allowing used games they would simply be pushing people away unless they all did it which is a stupid idea.

I can say for a fact that if this happened I wouldn't buy a system that did it. If I did, I'd buy it literally dirt cheap and I would buy the games dirt cheap. They wouldn't be making any more money off of me.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#8Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 8:01:29 PM
The Devourer posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
The Devourer posted...

Faulty logic. Anyone smart with any ounce of business knowledge would not block used games and push that the very second the other announced they would block them. Why? Because used games are a big market. Obviously. And any system that allowed them would instantly have more people on it and therefore more money to be made on it, ultimately. By not allowing used games they would simply be pushing people away unless they all did it which is a stupid idea.

I can say for a fact that if this happened I wouldn't buy a system that did it. If I did, I'd buy it literally dirt cheap and I would buy the games dirt cheap. They wouldn't be making any more money off of me.

Which is a very good point... erm..and I miss wrote how I meant it.
Feeling each other out and watching one another's moves is a better way to explain it. I still think like you do, if one does it the other won't.

Hell the moment the patent for the PS3 block dropped.. I'd have announce "Will allow used games"

However, there is one side to the coin we're missing... the developer/publisher side. EA who is actively fighting used games with all their stupid codes and procedures... might not support a system that allows used games over one that locks them out.
etc.
---
#9PStrifePosted 2/8/2013 8:18:09 PM
Yeah, about EA. They seem to be loving these profit less quarters of money purging as of late. Being hell bent on data locks has actually been doing great at hurting their bottom line.

I am afraid EA is run by idiots, making up their own desperate excuses as to why they are suddenly in the red for a change.
#1095_EclipsePosted 2/8/2013 8:19:53 PM
They are in the red because their business tactics have driven many away, and on top of that Medal of Honor undersold.

Their greed will get the best of them.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\